Top positive review
Just one yet major flaw
12 October 2018
Note: spent just one day with this phone but I know pretty much everything about it cuz 3 of my 4 best friends and 9 other friends are using the same device(note will be removed after the 2nd edit)
First of all, I got this phone for ≈8.5k in sale (≈11000-500 sale discount- 10% discount with sbi card- 10% Amazon pay balance)
The phone is the best in this price segment..(my last phone was honor 9 lite, which I'll be referring in the review)
Neutral and pros:
1. P60 is the most powerful mid-range processor and it shows as the phone handles any task thrown at it
2. Camera is excellent for the price range provided you're a capable photographer
3. Design Looks like glass despite being actually plastic... That said, the in hand feel is bad, especially after coming from a glass back phone
4. The 6 inch18:9 1080p thin bezel display is just wow..
5. Coming to security, I'll divide it into 3 parts namely: cautious pro, sort of con, the trust factor(you'll find The reasons for these crazy names in brackets)
A) Cautious Pro: Face unlock is super fast (but you have to enable an option to not unlock your phone with eyes closed)
B) Sort of con: lack of fingerprint scanner ( but For me, whose hands are sweaty most of the time, fp reader is useless)
C) The trust factor: look, if you're using Android, Google has your data and we can't do anything about it.. but as realme 1 has a custom skin on it and as a result of it, even Oppo has your data... They claim that it is secure and also provide some extra features (which are good *if* REALly secure) in security settings but the question is, can we trust Oppo?
6. Speaker is loud for the single speaker at this price
Audio output via headphone jack is noticably excellent.. If you're an audiophile like me, this is the way to go, at this price... it's way better than honor... Tested it with Sennheiser CX275S (will be updating with others as well)
7. Necessary things like Call quality, signal reception and others of this sort are good.. however earpiece volume isn't loud and you may have trouble in traffic(headphones recommended)
That pretty much sums up the neutral things (will update if anything new is found)
1(and only): UI (Color OS)
This is by far the worst custom skin I've ever seen... This is the combination of things that people hate about iOS and the things that people hate about Android...
There's no restart option...
Settings app is a mess...
Notification panel is a mess..
Status bar is a mess..
Home screen too is a mess and hence Custom launcher ( I use Microsoft launcher) is highly recommended...
All this is accepted if it's well optimised.. but sadly no... After rebooting the phone, you'll be left only with 1.8 GB RAM remaining... i.e. 2.2 GB of RAM being used by the UI... That's insane
Reduced a star due to the UI...
Sad part is: you can't even install a custom ROM cuz mediatec doesn't release the kernel source code of their processors