Top positive review
Uber cool purchase!
5 November 2017
1. Added a Samsung 2280 M.2 250GB SSD on the available slot which is to the left of the 2.5" HDD and installed the creators update Windows into it. The SSD didn't come with a screw for fixing it, find one that's lying around. Things are super fast now. Windows boots up in 3-4s (While restarting), everything is super snappy, switching between tabs in chrome/firefox felt fluidic. I would definitely recommend this as adding the SSD helped bring out the full-power of the laptop as such in my opinion.
2. I can confirm that there is an empty RAM slot, an 8GB stick is present in the other. I'm assuming that putting in another stick in the vacant slot should give dual-channel speeds. However, I don't feel this a necessity at the moment, I'm quite happy with 8GB.
3. Partitioned the SSD to get dual boot of Ubuntu 17.10 with Windows . Created symlinks for the contents of home folder to the HDD as storing contents inside home in the ssd doesn't necessarily give any merits as far as ubuntu is concerned. NVidia proprietary drivers were available in Software Updates/Addtional drivers tab, there is however no support for the Wayland architecture of Ubuntu 17 for Nvidia and it might crash, I would suggest switching to X Server configurations to stay hassle free. Another point I should probably mention here is that the fingerprint recognition doesn't work natively with ubuntu, some tweaking or installing maybe required for those who really need it.
Beautiful eye-catching design and looks! Up-to-date specifications. Awesome performance. Light as a feather compared to other regular laptops. Comes with a non-Thunderbolt USB Type C Gen 1, 1 USB 3.0, Full HDMI, 2 USB 2.0, SD card, Fast charger, charges the laptop upto 60-70% in an hour average. Over-all superb package. You currently get 2 yrs international warranty from Asus, which you can extend by 1 more year before Nov 10th for 500 - again, uber cool!
Backlit keyboard - 3 brightness levels, spectacular looks.
Has an empty RAM slot (DDR4 2400Mhz Samsung 8GB in the other, buy one of same frequency if you plan to upgrade to get max speeds - you can get an adata 8GB for approx 6K) and an empty SSD slot - Future proof!!
A few cons i noticed:
1. All the other aspects of this model is awesome and fast, except for the 5400rpm hard-disk which basically is the bottle neck for the whole machine. I would recommend making use of the empty SSD slot and putting windows in that. I am planning to do that as soon as i can confirm that the ssd slot is in fact an M.2 2280 Sata 6 slot (Not PCIe, no NVM.e support - atleast that's what every other video or review seems to say). A Samsung 2280 M.2 250GB ssd can be bought for approx 6200 with 5 yrs warranty (I find this more economical a plan than getting the other model)
2. Bloatware in windows - quite a few.
3. Heated up just a bit exactly below the arrow keys on the back of the laptop after 2-3 hrs of Assassin's Creed Unity in 720p (1080 works, but lower fps. MX150 is indeed pretty nice). Its not that noticeable, I'd recommend giving a break when it heats up though.
4. Came with windows 10 1703 update (Home, single language 64 Bit, activated on first internet connection), need to update to 1709 ourselves (Highly recommended)
5. Crappy webcam, adjustable though.
This model can be bought for 60K. Bought from outside of Amazon.