auto-hp family

on 1 March 2017
The Epics, Ramayana and Mahabharata, besides being great stories are treasure trove of ancient wisdom. The short stories within these epics can become important life lesson...we just need to look, to understand.

It becomes easier to learn and comprehend this wisdom if someone guides in the right direction.

The book 'Open Eyed Meditations' is an attempt to help understand and answer the puzzle of day to day life.

I have read the earlier book 'Ramayana.......' by Shubha Vilas and though I was not much impressed by it, I still opted to read this new book mostly because I got curious.

And, I find this one much better than the previous one. "Open Eyed Meditations" has small nuggets of wisdom derived from the stories of the epics and applied in today's world.

Take for example the chapter 'Magic Carpet for Relationships' where author has given the perfect example of Krishna's love for Arjun. Krishna addressed Arjun by various names that were his qualities. By appreciating all his qualities Krishna had a lovable bond...a everlasting relationship with Arjun. Shubha Vilas has summed it well "The 5Cs of appreciation are continuous, constant, costructive, contemplative and conscious...it then become contagious and comes back to you"

Another chapter on whether love is defined in kisses and gifts, he gives the examples of deep love of Sita who sacrificed the worldly comforts to accompany Rama and of Urmila's love who sacrificed her right to be with her husband so that he may fulfill his duty. For a loving relationship what is required is an unconditional love and not superficial things like gifts etc.

An example which I found most interesting was in the chapter dealing with the choice of quantity or quality. In today's social media trending world, I have often wondered about those bloggers who claim to have thousands of followers and at times I have felt helpless when I compared myself to them. The example of Arjun who chose Krishna instead of Yadav army for Mahabharat battle and Duryodhana chose the entire Krishna's army clearly shows who chose quality and who chose the quantity. The Pandavas were victorious despite having smaller army because they had the quality brains and blessings of Krishna.

This example made me realize that number of followers on social media might not always mean that my work is of lesser or better quality! This story and the wisdom associated came to my notice at the time when I was feeling little dejected and it made sense to me....I am less worried now...I guess I knew this truth somewhere at the back of my logical thinking...it just needed to be prodded to come out.

There are 64 such chapters reflecting on life lessons that include little insights on love, relationships, leadership, courage, success, emotions, character and personality development. This book has tried to bring forth ancient wisdom for the modern lives in a very easy and simple way.

It is a good read and reader may get an unbiased third person viewpoint on certain issues that my ring true to them.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

In the text of your review, you can link directly to any product offered on Amazon.in. To insert a product link, follow these steps:
1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.in
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select
7. When your review is displayed on Amazon.in, this text will be transformed into a hyperlink, like so: Hamlet (The Pelican Shakespeare)