21 July 2019
This being my second laptop that I have bought I have had multiple thoughts on what to look after in a laptop. Jolted down what my needs were and what weren't. Found many choices on the Prime day deals.
Finally ended up with Lenovo Legion Y540 as this just fits all all my needs and right within my budget. Bought this on the Prime day for 62K after using Amazon Pay Credit Card. I was a bit worried when I ran into BSOD on the very first start can't really blame Lenovo (hands down Windows) as that was due to a breakage in the audio driver that was getting updated in the background. Restart fixed it all.

Pros -
Better build quality. Yes, though this may not be made of Aluminum or Carbon Fiber esque body from the thinkpads but the sturdy plastic looks and feels amazing. I did carry this to the office, never was I asked if this was a gaming laptop as this looks a lot professional than fancy RGB lightings on the logo and the keyboards that the usual gaming laptops do. One other good thing, you could lift the lid with one hand.

Display - The display is a Full HD IPS panel and supports HDR Streaming but not WCG. Slim / thin bezels around the display is brilliant to watch your content / creation.
Audio - There are two speakers that are Dolby certified and did sound well. Can hear a bit of distortion as you crank up the volume. But yeah, DOLBY CERTIFIRD.
Performance - No stutter, slow down, heating issues observed till now. The processor and GPU would still ask for more. Have tried a couple of games and Productivity apps found no lag or stutter and just breezes past through any task that you through at it.

Keyboard - How often do you get a full-sized keyboard on a laptop when on a budget? Well this does. Though can't compare these keys or key travel to those that of Thinkpad. Well these are pretty good keys to type and game faster. The user may have wrongly quoted on the RGB lighting part. No this has White light backlit keyboard.

Cons -

Nose Cam - We all remember Dell reverting the nose cams from XPS series to top of the display. It's good that they thought of reducing the bezels around but, the cam is pure nose Cam. I'd rather not use this for Video Calls or Conferences.

Weight - Yes. Not most would agree on this point. But most gaming laptops are heavier than this. But when in comparison to previous thinkpad this machine is a bit overweight. (Underweight for a gaming laptop though)

I couldn't have asked for any better laptop then this being within my budget. Yes, if you have a little more budget go for the next model which has 1660Ti and 9th i7 CPU with screen having better refresh rate and RGB Lighting or move to Y7 series I suggest which has premium build quality than this. Else wait for Helios 300 to drop its price, find a deal and get that if that suits your needs and if it is within the budget.

Overall lot of pros and a couple of cons. Good purchase. The package was shipped as expected. Delivery was quick. I must say the time that I have taken or invested to finalize on a laptop has been fruitful. And I hope you would find this useful. Thanks.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
91 people found this helpful