18 May 2017
Something Needs Bleeding by Christopher Long is a compilation of horror stories by Thomas Singer, a talented but recluse author and wanted who wanted these stories to be published and read by his readers only after his death.

The fact that this book has stories by a dead author who wanted them published only after his death is disquieting in itself. I did feel a queer feeling when I finished reading the introduction and started reading the first story and once I got started there was no turning back. The uncertainty that these stories could very well have been real experiences of the author made my nerves stand on end throughout the book.

I liked the introductions by Christopher Long, mostly because they added a layer of intrigue and uneasiness to the stories that followed. They were also quite informative, as not having known Thomas Singer at all, they helped me know a lot about him and hence, develop a connection with the stories. They added a layer of intimacy between the stories and the reader and it felt like I've known Singer all my life.

The stories... well, they were all masterpieces. And I say this being a horror author myself. They weren't outrageously spooky or even scary, but they were quite firm in holding the reader's attention and the detailing and the easy flow of the writing and the beautiful progression of each and every story was spot on and more than enough for me to give this book a full 5/5 rating.

In fact, I'm going to dig up other books by Thomas Singer and read them all because his writing deserves to be read and relished. I'm sure he's smiling from up there reading this review and I hope that he did not meet his end in the way one of his stories (Something Needs Bleeding - 3rd incision) ended.

I found each and every story to be a work of genius. I loved each and every single story and I found myself completely losing in them and losing the track of time. The narration (and the first person POVs) were written in such a way that it made me feel as if I was right there and it was all happening right in front of me. The imagery (the proper term for what I just said) was superb!

I'd recommend this book to all the horror readers and to those who won't mind reading dark and creepy stuff. If you love the horror genre, then you simply can't afford to miss this one.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink