5 January 2018
Beneath The Skin by R.L. Martinez is the second instalment of The Witchbreed series and a sequel to one of my favourite fantasy books, In The Blood.

The first book in this series was so good that when I was offered to review the second one, I was beyond myself and agreed immediately, though I started to feel sceptical about the series as a whole the moment I laid eyes on the cover of this one. Still, I went ahead and read the book because I was sure the story had to be good because... you know... it was the sequel to In The Blood! However, things did not go as per my expectations and this part ended up disappointing me.

I was expecting to see a lot of action and was looking forward to learning more about the characters of whom I was already a fan, but the book proved to be a slog and I was struggling only after a couple of pages. The characters seemed to annoy me for some reason and the pace fo the story was extremely slow in the first half the story. To be honest after about 30% of the book I was literally skimming over the pages not wanting to DNF this book. The story picked up pace after 50% though by that time I was not even interested in knowing whatever was happening.

This is the first time (after DIvergent) that I did not like a particular part of a book series, so I'm not even sure if I'll be reading the next part.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink