Top critical review
Seriously avoid the 4K Mod if you can
Reviewed in India on 10 September 2020
I had placed an order for the insta360 with the 4K mod and have been terribly disappointed due to the following reasons:
1) In low light conditions the auto settings are horrible and there is excess noise (grain) visible on the videos, tweaking the ISO and aperture in manual settings helps reduce the noise a bit but makes the camera useless in low light settings.
2) The anti-Flicker setting when used in Auto doesnt work well and its best you change it to 50Hz when in India.
3) Flowstate isn't applied while recorded on the camera and requires the video to be exported to a computer or mobile device running the Insta360 software where it is then applied.
The Device records in HVEC 264 and HEVC 265 and.. tech enthusiasts will know that the latter is def preferred but current gen mobile devices cannot handle HEVC 265 and will stutter badly hence a laptop/PC is required if you wish to encode and export in that format.
4) If you wish to make use of Flowstate the files will be saved in insv format.. forcing you to use their software to export MP4.
5) The Touchscreen isnt the best and can be choppy
6) Online reports state that this device is not waterproof and I've confirmed this with their customer care too.. so false marketing.
7) I couldnt get it to mount on a GoPro chest mount.
I wouldnt recommend this device unless the company got their act together and fixed many of the above issues that are plaguing a potentially good device.