Top positive review
Great as a purifier, but not a smart device.
25 October 2019
I used the Mi 2C purifier for 1 day, however, I returned it and got a 2S instead. Here are my reasons:
1) The sensor in 2C is Infrared and not Laser, this reduces accuracy in identifying the pollution level and particle concentration.
2) The 2C does not have an odor filter (Carbon Filter) and hence it cannot clean/reduce bad smell in the room. (2C has 2-layer filtration while 2S has 3-layer filtration, the third layer being the activated carbon filter)
3) No app integration and no WiFi. In this age of smart home devices, the 2C is taking a step backward. Though the design is minimalistic, clean and beautiful, the lack of app integration and lack of ability to control with Amazon Echo dot (or Google Home) was a big let down for me.
4) No statistics: Data is everything and with 2C what you get is Red, Orange, and Green color LED indicator! With 2S, you can get tons of information like temperature, humidity, filter health, and room pollution level. With 2C, you blindly have to believe that the room has clean air based on the green color LED light and seeing green, you will be tempted to turn off the device or change to auto mode to conserve energy. However, even for PM 2.5 level less than 70, the device will show a green color. The device is capable of bringing down the PM 2.5 levels below 10 (I have reached PM2.5 level 005 on 2S) if you continue to operate it at a higher speed. With 2S, since the app/device shows the exact level, you get a lot more control over deciding when to turn the device to auto mode.
5) A big variation between fan speed levels. 2C has three levels 1,2 & 3 along with auto. Level 1 is near silent while in level 2 the fan speed increases drastically almost like level 3. With 2S, you get a slider in the app to manually control fan speed to whichever speed you desire.
6) 2S has slightly lower power consumption than 2C ( 29W vs 33W)
7) 2S comes with a cover that you can use to cover the product when not in use for a long period or when you are cleaning your room (The cover hardly costs 10 RS to make, still it counts as a difference!)
8) 2S has a removable power cord which is useful if you need to change the cord by yourself due to some issues (let us say a rat bit your power cord!)
Having said all these, 2C will work excellent as an air purifier. If you are someone living in a place where the pollution level is high and you are on a budget, you can ignore the above reasons and still go for 2C.
The positives of buying a 2C are that you get a true HEPA filter, that has 99.97 filtration efficiency (probably they use an H13 filter) but 2S only have an H11 grade filter that has only 95% of filtration efficiency. Mi can easily solve this by bringing to market a true HEPA filter for the 2S as well. The 2C also has a comparatively higher CADR of 350m3/hr compared to 310 of 2S (CADR is a value that shows how fast the filter can clean the air).
The additional 1.5 K you pay for the 2S is well worth the additional features that come with it. You can go for the 2C if you are looking for a "buy and forget" air purifier, not bothering about all the technical aspects, for instance you are living in a high pollution level location, or you want to gift an air purifier to your parents or grandparents who will never bother about the smart device features. 2C will work excellent from the filtering point of view as this has a true HEPA filter and will perform as good (or even better) than 2S if you consider only the filtering capabilities.
My main reason to go for 2S instead of 2C is the smart device capabilities and additional data available with the 2S.