auto-hp mens-fashion family womens-fashion

• Language: English
• ASIN: B06XY3SY12
• Product Dimensions: 20.4 x 12.8 x 1.2 cm

THE PLOT IN BRIEF-

A note from a killer "This is Prakash writing. I am the murderer of Padma Manepally. I am attaching photos of her dead body taken in her apartment today to prove that I am indeed the killer. Old ladies make nice soft targets. I think I will wipe out an old lady next. ...Catch me if you can." 1st April, 11:30 am Charminar: A housewife is strangled to death. 15th April 5:30 am Begumpet: A reputed doctor is bludgeoned to death near Begumpet Station while out on her morning walk. A ruthless killer is on the loose. He has openly challenged the Hyderabad Police to catch him. The reputation of the Hyderabad Police is in tatters. The psychopath is roaming freely across Hyderabad killing indiscriminately. Or is there a method in this madness? Who are these victims and why they have been selected by the murderer? He ropes in good friend Vikram Rana to help him. As Gopi Reddy admits, 'Random killers are the hardest criminals to catch.' But to Vikram Rana something about these brutal incidences does not ring true and these crimes seem to be related.... Will Vikram and ACP Reddy be able to prevent another murder in this race against time before this monster strikes again?

THE TITLE-

Indeed A season for dying is a very interesting and appropriate title for the book. We all know that Dialogues must appear as natural as if coming from effortless writing. It must not sweat. The beloved readers must not sweat. But here the author is literally sweating, because her characters are literally talking fishy in a steamy sweaty and bloody scene. The combination of the suspense and the chillness are very vividly described throughout the plot. When you read the account of a murder - or, say, a fiction story based on murder - you usually begin with the murder itself. That's all wrong. The murder begins a long time beforehand. A murder is the culmination of a lot of different circumstances, all converging at a given moment at a given point. People are brought into it from different parts of the globe and for unforeseen reasons. The murder itself is the end of the story.
The title itself creates this thrilling environment. For example in a season, the dates gradually get eliminated one by one. Similarly the victim gets eliminated in the plot one by one, just like the dates of a season.

REVIEW OF THE BOOK-

I understood something after completing the book-Known is Nothing, Unknown is Everything; This is Half Hidden World.
We know only a little about ourselves, even ourselves. So blind are we that more often than not we never know what we're going to do next, Love or Hate. Like what we are for ourselves, a part of our soul mates, our boy and girl friends, also remains Unknown to us, quite naturally, despite living together under the same roof, eating together, sleeping together....And that hidden part makes us ex-things to others.
The author very beautifully creates the atmosphere to inculcate the sequential murders in the story. It was like this blackness that crept into the corners of my life until everything was grey and dirty. My insides felt burnt out, like if you cut me open, all you would find would be smoke. No heart. No bones. There was nothing left, just the anger. It followed me everywhere. It sat on my bed and watched me sleep and when I had to eat, it looked at me across the table.
That’s what a thriller plot looks like and the author has proved it correctly through her creation.
Policemen are often confronted with situations which baffle them at first. A certain crime scene may seem meaningless, but they have to derive some meaning out of it. They have to connect the dots, find the links, delve into its history, look for evidence, come up with a zillion theories and arrive at truth. The thing is, truth is always stranger than fiction.
To find out the truth, please order your copies from

YOU SHOULD READ THIS BECAUSE-

1. THE SPINE CHILLING THRILLING PLOT.

2. THE DEATH FACTOR AT EVERY TURN OF THE PAGE

RATINGS-

Overall I would like to rate the book 42 on a scale of 50.
4 stars out of 5
1. Originality of the plot and sub plots- 9/10
2. Net emotions in the story- 8/10
3. Usage of words and phrases-8/10
4. The title, cover and the illustration-8/10
5. The net impact on the readers- 9/10

Life is truly a matter of choices, reactions, and actions. Each and every choice is governed by our reactions which in turn affect our actions and consequently the future turn of events

Reviewed by-
Sayan Basak
Kolkata
5 people found this helpful
on 28 April 2017
A young housewife is killed brutally and the grotesque pictures and the date of next murder are mailed to the editor of The Telangana Times. Initially he thinks it's an April fool prank but when the news of the murder is confirmed he forwards the mail to the Police Commissioner for detailed investigation.

What follows later is the investigation, enquiry etc. But is it a serial killer or a psychopath or is someone making it look like one?

Inspector Gopi Reddy and Vikram Rana get involved in this investigation and the manner in which they solve the case is commendable; or rather say the manner in which the author has written the case conclusion is commendable.

I had read Vikram Rana mysteries first book of the series last year, when I had received it for reviewing through The Book Club.

Plus points: well etched plot, filled with suspense, fast paced and addictive story which makes the book un-put-down-able. Characters from previous series like Veena, Kamala, Murali, and Radha makes the reader connect (if you have read the first book). Even if you haven’t proper and short description doesn’t make you left out.

Both main characters love for food and to excel in their field and also their comradeship is worth a mention.
Usually i am able to predict the culprit but this time I was unable to predict till I read the end. (My hubby has nicknamed me CID).
Negative points: Well, a couple of editing errors which can be ignored considering the brilliant storyline.

In other words, Sharmishta Shenoy’s A Season For Dying is worth a read, if you love to read detective novels and even otherwise.
4 people found this helpful
on 14 August 2017
I never say this in any of my reviews. But I have to say for this particular book because it is tremendous. You have to atleast for once read this book. It is a real thriller, satisfactorily, unpredictably gripping. The setting of the story is a city of Nizams. I find this story so peculiar and its character sketch attractive because it certainly crosses my expectations of their development. The novel beholds a detective character as the protagonist and the character is the kind that we all love.

From the cover page till the end of the story you are just hooked. You don’t want to end the novel but unfortunately you have to. Nevertheless you still have hope for more as this is just a recent book in the series.

Every character introduced and narration given by the author is highly commendable. The author no doubt is a good writer as she holds the suspense till the end. The sequence of murders happening and the revealing of events from time to time are boldly done. This novel also perhaps makes us introspect about what conspires in our mind most of the time. That we are unable to actually do what we want to do but end up doing what we do not want to do etc. our every action flows from our continuous rumination on thoughts that impact us.

One of the lovely characters of the novel is Vikram Rana because one can easily connect to him. No doubt he is clever and witty. He has clear eye for details and therefore he is at his best. The author perhaps has wonderfully crafted this character.

Reading so many novels now what I understood so far is the plot has to be really knit well so as to blend together the different ideas working. Sharmishtha Shenoy has marvelously portrayed this expertise by her flawless display of every revealing of the plot. The only hiccup was the typographical errors and a few editing glitches which could be avoided.

The book is nevertheless a thrilling read, take to reading this book.
review image
on 20 January 2018
I love reading Sharmishtha Shenoy's books. This is my second book. The first one was Behind The Scenes. Sharmishtha Shenoy is truly our very own Agatha Christie. The murder mystery is so intriguing and so beautifully written. I kept guessing about the murderer but I must admit that my guesses were wrong and when I came to know about the murderer I was surprised . The characters are described in details, the novel is fast paced. There is never a dull moment in the book. Once you start reading it you cannot leave it before finishing it. It is a wonderful and gripping novel which keeps you hooked till the end. I could visualise the book as if watching a movie and that is the power of the author. Kudos to her for writing such an awesome book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 April 2017
When I got this book, I never realised that the author has already penned few novels. I was made aware of this fact due to the presence of abstract of couple of stories in the end of the novel which seemed equally interesting and intriguing.

Coming to the actual novel - A Season for Dying is a perfect title for the novel since the death occurs eliminating one character or the other throughout the novel. It all begins with a murder of a housewife and it continues with the killing of few more including doctors. The killer wantedly leaves behind a note mentioning the date for his next hunt.

The cops get into action and they get more annoyed when the killer challenges their talent and wanted to teach him/her a lesson. ACP Gopi Reddy gets in touch with his ex-colleague and friend Vikas Rana who is now the famous detective. Did they manage to unfold the mystery is the story.

What I liked the most is the way the story went. It would make any reader including me to keep guessing as to who would be the potential killer but in the end, it was a real surprise. A perfect weekend novel which is best enjoyed with a snack and tea/coffee to beat the boredom.

There are lot of characters in the novel which you need to remember. I would suggest to make a note of them so that you will not get confused at any given point in time. These characters are very much required and hence there is no complaints whatsoever.

This is a usual crime novel with an unusual twist.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 September 2017
The key element in a thriller is suspense. The deepest the secret lies the more interesting the story would be. Sharmishta Shenoy through her Vikram Rana mystery series brings forth some interesting tales of suspense, mystery,thrills and action.
A Season for Dying, comes under the genre , in an irrevocably engaging investigation thriller. Vikram Rana, the private detective is in charge of a series of murders. A woman is murdered in her apartment and the murderer sends an email to press claiming that he had murdered the woman and will kill more people on the coming days for the fun of it. The police is on the run to find the random killer before he mercilessly slaughters more innocent souls. The husband of the woman asks Vikram Rana to investigate his wife's murder since he feels that he has been unduly framed. Once Vikram comes to picture, the investigation takes an interesting turn and along with inspector Reddy, Vikram solve one riddle after the other to find a connecting link between the murders. It does not take much time to find out that the murders are no longer random.

Who is the psychopath after the lives of people? What is his motive? Will Vikram and Reddy succeed in finding the killer and prevent further murders.?

Authoress forces the readers to plunge into the world of violence, suspense , mystery ,love,friendship and revenge . The style of narration is engaging. The right amount of suspense is maintained without overdose of drama. What intrigues me is whether a private detective would be allowed to get sensitive evidence and be a part of discussion in the most controversial crime investigation. A few grammatical errors could not be ignored though it did not mellow down the level of suspense.

Overall the book is a great attempt from the authoress's part.

This review is in return of a free book from the publisher
on 5 May 2017
I had read Sharmishtha Shenoy's earlier book, 'Vikram Rana Investigates', and quite liked her style of writing. So, when she approached me to read and review her latest in the series, 'A Season for Dying', I immediately agreed; and I'm glad that I did.

While the first book saw the protagonist, Vikram Rana, investigate a high-profile murder, this one sees him trying to catch a serial killer on the loose in the city of Hyderabad.

The author clearly loves reading crime fiction, and that is evident in her writing too. Like any good student, she grasps and liberally uses various forensic nuances in her writing that she gathers from her favorite authors like Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. As a result, she is growing and improving in her writing with each book. I must say, I shall eagerly look forward to reading her future work.

'A Season for Dying' is a crisp, sharp, fast-paced, and gripping read; and I recommend it to all those who like reading the genre.

My only complaint, if any, with the book is that it has some glaring typos and grammatical errors that could have been easily avoided. Except for the proofreading, or the lack thereof, I loved the book.

I give 'A Season for Dying', four and a half out of five stars.
on 23 June 2017
Kudos to you Sharmishtha Shenoy. It was a gripping story. I started reading this around 9 PM after my dinner and I'm so glued to it... I didn't let this go.. and I completed this novel in one go.. very good plot.. very exciting story.

Sharmishtha, I read a lot of spy thrillers... based on that I would like to tell you one thing, sometime you repeat the scene or dialog. but that's fine with most of readers, but readers who has got good memory this becomes little twitchy.

But apart from that.. very gripping and very well plotted story !!!

One word Awesome.. I'm planning to read your another novel "Vikram Rana Investigates: Tales of Murder and Deception in Hyderabad" over the weekend.
on 12 May 2017
So after an extremely promising start with Vikram Rana Investigates, Mrs. Shramistha Shenoy is back with a sequel . Was eagerly anticipating this followup and must say it didn't disappoint. The dynamic duo of Gopi Reddy and Vikram Rana, Vikram's controlling and caring wife, the hilarious tiffs between the couple are all there and instantly draw us into the comfort zone of a familiar character we are gradually becoming fond of. However, the mystery is new and so is the menacing villain. Vikram is up for the challenge of his life as the thriller keeps us guessing who could be the merciless killer who has made the entire city of Hyderabad his hunting ground.

The depiction of the city, nuances of the characters, insights into situations from which the detective derives his clues. Piecing the puzzle together and finally, the grand revelation is quite a gripping read. The story gradually picks up pace and by the time you are more than halfway through, it quickly accelerates to the climax making it difficult to put down before you've finished it. Apart from the mystery itself, the suave, yet humble detective with his streaks of genius and his flaws, is essentially human and this makes us relate to him and root for his success.

It's a sign of much better things to come and a good time for lovers of crime thrillers. I wish the author all the best in her endeavor and hope we see Vikram Rana in a new mystery very soon.
on 1 June 2017
I was gifted this novel by Sharmishtha Shenoy di in return of an honest review. I swell with pride to have witnessed the journey of an author from better to best.

Vikram Rana is our detective-next-door. Very relatable, very humble, unlike all the larger-than-life detective heroes we have read about so far.

Apart from the complex murder plot, I really like the way the author defines every character in the story, however negligible. There are some references to movie characters and real life people, which makes the reader imagine better and the reading more enjoyable!

This novel is a must read for all mystery lovers.

Sharmishtha di, eagerly waiting for your next book!