Top positive review
THE ONLY REVIEW YOU NEED
18 February 2019
DISCLAMER: Very long but in-depth review.
Ordered this TV wall unit for my 55’ Mi TV 4x PRO. Assembled and installed it myself in my newly build home at Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. Some quick PROs and CONs are as follows:
1) Affordable. The same thing if built by a carpenter will cost much more than this.
2) Stylish & Sturdy. This thing looks classy when assembled and installed correctly. The build quality is great. Everything is precision cut and drilled.
3) Highly compatible. Goes best with TV size of 40 inches or more.
4) Easy to assemble. Instructions to assemble are very clear. Whole thing just fits like a big jigsaw puzzle.
5) Free Installation: Comes with a free installation services for selected cities. So, check if your city is supported.
1) No holes in first and third compartments so you can’t place set-top box or gaming console there. Read point 8 on how to solve this issue.
2) If your TV has 3 pin plug top than it will not go into the middle compartment as the hole is slightly small. You have to insert it before assembling the unit.
3) It’s engineering wood. This is not a drawback but you have to be very careful while screwing in those big black screws. Read point 5 for more details.
4) No spare screws. They are limited. So, if you misplace, bend or broke one you are on your own.
5) It’s not for heavy items. So, if you are planning to place your brand-new TV on this, just don’t. Although it is very sturdy, the wood might split under the stress someday and take a dip along with your TV.
Here’s what I think of the complete buying experience:
1) PACKAGING & DELIVERY: I received the item securely and well packed within 5 days of placing the order. The packaging did not have any wear or tears on it. Looked quite good on the outside. Package was well strapped and secure.
2) UNBOXING: When opened I immediately noticed few scratches on the board and some of them were long but very light scratches. The scratches were there for two reasons 1) The item was packed in such a way that the packaging foam was only surrounding the outside of the boards. So, the boards were protected from light impacts and bumps but as there was no packaging material in-between the boards, they rubbed against each other resulting in scratches 2) The nuts & bolts that came with the unit for assembling were firmly pressed against the boards itself, resulting in dents and scratches. Overall, the scratches were acceptable as they were minor scratches. Don’t except the item to be delivered in perfect condition.
3) WHAT’S INSIDE: You will be getting 3 long wooden planks + 4 small wooden pieces for compartments section. All the pieces have number tags on them for easy identification to facilitate assembling. You will also get a plastic zip pouch full of screws, wooden pegs, etc. for assembling the unit and also the hardware to mount the unit. Be very careful not to misplace or break any of these because all the components inside this pouch are provided in limited quantity and there are no extras or spares. You will also get a detailed and easy to understand instruction manual which will help you assemble and install the unit.
4) ASSEMBLING: If you have ever tightened a screw by yourself then its very easy to assemble the unit. Just make sure you go through the instructions manual first. There are very clear instructions on how and where each part goes. It’s detailed and full of illustrations which’s a big help. The panels have holes for wooden pegs to go in first which stabilizes the parts for screwing process. One of the amazing things is how precisely the boards and holes are done. The parts just fit like a big jigsaw puzzle and it feels like a fun DIY project. The holes will perfectly align if you place the parts right. Everything feels like a sung fit. It took me around 30 – 40 minutes to assemble the unit. Also make sure you assemble it on the floor or on a level surface.
PRO TIP: Take measurements on the wall for holes before screwing in the back board (board no. 3). This will make it easier for you to mark the holes precisely on the wall.
5) WHAT’S THE CATCH?: Not everything is perfect and the first thing is the quality of the board. It’s engineered wood which is not as strong as the good quality wooden board you will find natively. It showed up when I was screwing in the back board. One of the screws just chiselled the bottom board from inside. This means if you don’t put the screws at 90 degrees angle, there’s a high chance that the board will split up around the screw holes. DO NOT HAMMER THE SCREWS DOWN. This highly increases the chance of splitting. Also, the black screws are not that strong to handle the impact from a hammer. One of the screw head broke when I attempted doing that. Gently screw in the screws using a screwdriver or a drill with slow speed setting.
6) QUALITY OF WOOD?: The quality of the wood is optimized. It’s not bad. It’s to reduce the weight of the unit while maintaining the strength. Just be careful with the screws. After assembly the whole thing becomes very solid and sturdy.
7) WALL INSTALLATION: This can be a little tricky. There are four long steel screws along with plastic bits to mount the whole unit on wall. Make sure you drill the 4 holes very precisely using a suitable drill bit size. Also make sure the plastic bits fit snugly on wall. Not doing so may make the whole unit unstable and wobbly. There are four radial style caps provided to hide the screw heads after installation. If you are not having any experience in drilling holes in wall then take help of a carpenter.
8) WHAT’S REALLY WRONG: There are no holes to get the cables to the first and third compartments. -1 star for this. Out of the box, you can only keep electronics like Set top box or gaming consoles either in the middle compartment or on the top of the unit. But it is not the end of the line. I drilled two large holes neatly on either side of the middle compartment to get the cables slide into the adjacent compartments. To make it easier, drill the holes before assembling the unit. Also, make sure you are drilling holes at correct places on correct side plates as they are not interchangeable. Check review image 4 for a clearer picture on this.
9) LOOK & FEEL: As you can see in photos, if done properly, the whole unit looks gorgeous and elegant with my 55’ TV. It’s not shaky and just like I said earlier feels solid. There’s a shiny BlueWud logo on one side of the unit which gives it a branded look. My Dad loved it too. Personally, I feel like it will not look great with a TV of size less than 40 inches. It makes the TV complete.
10) FINAL VERDICT: Just go for it if you are getting it for ₹3200/- or less. Personally, I really enjoyed assembling and installing this unit. It looks awesome with my TV and completes the overall TV viewing experience. The finishing on this thing is amazing. Build quality is good and it’s sturdy enough to keep the essentials in place. It’s a bonus if you can assemble and install it yourself rather then spending extra to get it installed by a carpenter.
If my review is helpful in any way then please give it a thumbs up 😊