Top positive review
Unique Player with a bad remote control
18 July 2018
Purchased this during June 18. Had a SONY BDPS490 - which is having some power issue after 6 years of usage.I purchased this holding off the SONY for repairing. I have thoroughly checked the specification of this before buying and after my use of a month I can vouch for my selection. In fact it is the only player available in the market with some specific attributes. Let's dig in.
1. This is by far the only player which offers dual channel audio output. That means, if you have so called Music System setup, this is the only Bluray player in the market which can be hooked into the existing Music System. This was my one of the biggest criteria of selection. So if you already own a great old music system (may be7-8 yeards old) - which are in comparison with today's cheap (how much costly it may be) Bluetooth speakers/soundbars a miles ahead - this is the only choice. No shame, I am a fully SONY fan and each and every device I use is SONY. But still SONY does not have any product which addresses this issue.
2. Picture Quality - Honestly I did not see any difference with my previous SONY BDP S490. So it means, incredible color reproduction. I have Full HD SONY 43 inch Triluminous Display with HDR. I have couple of UK, USA, AUSTRALIA import DVD and Blurays (i.e. Region 1, 2 & 4) along with India made discs. All ran smoothly :-). So that means this plays multi-region even it has not been advertised. The Band of Brother, The Frozen Planet and Planet Earth looked stunning. The DVD upscaling was extremely good. Obviously it will depend on the DVD encoding quality. I ran a Terminator 2 Region 1 (US import) DVD. It looked flawless either - in fact was not able differentiate it with a 20 GB MKV HD file copy. So picture quality wise - 10/10 as I could not find any fault.
3. Sound Quality - This is top notch. You through the Audio CD - I did Michael Jackson's Dangerous and Started "Jam" in high volume in my SONY GR8. It sounded pristine. Ran FLAC, MP3, WAV - all went smooth.Picks up from front & back USB drive too.
4. M2TS compatibility - I read someone mentioned that this player cannot play the AVCHD files. That was a let down to me as I have lot of HD video shot with SONY HDR-CX160. To my surprise - it can play :-). So all the majorly available video files I have tested (AVI, M2TS, MP4, VOB) all ran smoothly.
5. Remote Control - Complete Shocker! Big Letdown. You press a switch and let's wait for sunrise. However, if you know how to use your staff, you should be fine. But in all means the software quality is junk. Also it has got some aiming problem - you have to direct it towards the laser receiver port.
I could not test the WiFi compatibility. I will update afterwards.
Except the remote - this one is a winner.
Suman Mandal (Kolkata)