family

Customer reviews

Sister Sable (The Mad Queen Book 1)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:₹ 196.00

on 30 November 2015
Very pleased to have been given the chance to read this one early. The big warning I’ll give other readers is the story is not linear. It jumps in time frequently. It is about a Master of Travel and that travel is time.

Personally I had no problem with the nonlinear structure, but then I read the Illuminatus Trilogy – no author can shake me after that.

To get the most of this book I would suggest allowing the author to lead and not fighting their direction. All the answers will come, but not in the order they happened.

My gf couldn’t stand it. She wants all events to be explained as they happen. She wants stories to start at A and progress through the alphabet in an orderly fashion until they end at Z.

You won’t get that with this book. What you’ll get is a whole lot of intrigue, strategy, madness and explanations that might only make perfect sense to those schooled in the occult. As a big fan of the psychedelic occult, I loved it.
on 20 November 2015
The story of Sister Sable is one of impending war between the church and state. The conflict on the page though is between the sister and her religious order, the sister and the general, and the sister and her broken mind. The book is what I would call an occult thriller. It’s full of esoteric whispers and adrenalin packed fights.

It doesn’t have a great many lulls for a reader to get bored. The story is either giving you a quick warning that there’s about to be action, which is followed by some of the best action I’ve read, or the story is dragging you through an emotional hell. Either way, I found it a hard book to put down.

I am very curious to see where Mountebank goes with Sable and the other characters in this conflicted world, and I am very much looking forward to the second book in the series.
on 9 December 2015
Overall, Sister Sable falls a little short of hard science fiction, but it is undoubtedly an interesting work of fiction. It takes its hints from mythology, future sciences and strategic warfare and weaves them together into a heady brew of entertainment. It has mainstream commercial appeal while remaining strangely unique.

Sister Sable is a genuine page-turner like few others, and I would recommend it if only to enjoy its intoxicating brand of violence.
on 18 November 2015
It was hard to tell who the absolute good and absolute bad people were in this book. Good and bad were seen in each character.

I would not call this a happy novel. In a way, it is a story of bitter loss and hopelessness. Beautifully told, mind you, but hard on the heart.
on 23 November 2015
Engaging science fiction fantasy is hard to come by so I found this particularly enjoyable. It didn’t contain any next generation tech or anything scientifically incredible but it told a powerful story.
on 30 November 2015
To call this novel entertaining is an understatement. It is addictive and enthralling reading.

Beautiful and dark, it is haunting and will remain with the reader for years.