auto-hp family

on 27 December 2016
I agree with Michael E Gerber's statement “The 4-Hour Workweek is a new way of solving a very old problem: just how can we work to live and prevent our lives from being all about work? A world of infinite options awaits those who would read this book and be inspired by it!”

Initially I was not impressed with this book from Tim Ferriss. It appeared more like the usual GYAN stuff. Book came to me as a gift from my friend and I started reading it. First few pages looked un-practical. However I must admit as I went on ... it was a perfect story telling and I read the whole book like a marathon. It is a great book for all and specifically those who want to do something different from the monotonous world of 9 to 5.

I liked everything but specifically two chapters (1) Outsourced Life (2) How to Travel the World with 10 Pounds or Less
At the same time I felt some of the thoughts expressed in the book are not for me like not reading a news paper or "not watching television" in the chapter "The Low-Information Diet".

Liked and quoting a paragraph citing credible India from the chapter - OUTSOURCED LIFE : "The next day I e-mail Brickwork, one of the companies Friedman mentions in his book. Brickwork—based in Bangalore, India—offers “remote executive assistants,” mostly to financial firms and healthcare companies that want data processed. I explain that I’d like to hire someone to help with Esquire-related tasks—doing research, formatting memos, like that. The company’s CEO, Vivek Kulkarni, responds, “It would be a great pleasure to be talking to a person of your stature.” Already I’m liking this. I’ve never had stature before. In America, I barely command respect from a Bennigan’s maître d’, so it’s nice to know that in India I have stature."

I bought two books and gifted to two of my friends.
The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich
on 15 December 2017
This book from Timothy Ferriss is a book which help one to get rid off those ugly 9 to 5 jobs and helps to build a freedom between personal and professional life I recommend it to those who are fed up off bosses.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 4 November 2013
Interestingly, I got to know about The Four-Hour Work Week (4HWW) from So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love book (which is a great read in itself) and which preaches exactly opposite to what Tim Ferriss does in 4 HWW. So, I was ultra convinced that 4 HWW is similar to those get rich quick schemes kinda books which are as silly as they sound. Hence, I scrapped reading it...However, when I skimmed this book after a chance sighting of it in my office library, I was instantly hooked.

I am not gonna talk about what Tim Ferriss teaches and advocates in this book in detail, as already all the reviewers have done that...instead, I am just gonna say that you do not have to actually do what Tim has done. You do not even have to leave your job. What I got from 4HWW is that even if you employ some of Tim's techniques (Parkinson's law, 80/20 principles and the art of avoiding emails and conference calls like plaque), at your current job, it will shoot your productivity through the roof....The lifestyle redesign part comes later when you get plenty of time as result of employing these techniques at your work place. Tim pushes you go beyond your boundaries and take mini-retirements now instead of later. However, it is entirely up to you, what you do with those new found free hours!...4HWW is also a treasure trove of information and other clever hacks which will prove useful to you at some point in life.

For the last 2 weeks, I have been using some of the techniques mentioned in this book (Parkinson's law and avoiding email/con calls) and they have given me a sense of calm at my insanely busy day job as a software engineer...This book will save you a lot of time! I suggest reading So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love first and then 4HWW which will give a unique and well balanced perspective to look at your 9-5 or 9-8 job like myself.
on 13 January 2016
A bunch of gimmicks is all this book is comprised of. I usually never write reviews on amazon but after reading this book I felt the strong urge to warn potential buyers about this book and how this book is in itself Tims "muse" to scam you, me and everyone into making him more richer than he already is. A lot of impractical and incomplete info where Tim seems to just slap around a few website links and apps to make the average reader quiet and content and also fails to explain a lot of key things in detail due to the supposed "limited no. of pages". He provides a lot of advice that if followed would automatically make you the most immoral, unethical and lazy useless sack of s*** for everyone who knows you and Tim seems to be able to live with all that. While I do give it to Tim for his attempt at automation and being productive but most of what he says borders on pure lazy and being incompetent to effectively a business. The title itself is meant for scamming you into thinking this is the next Bible and the teachings this book imparts are bordering on unethical, meaningless and outright a productive OCD. The day anyone actually works a 4 hour work week will be a cold week in hell as described by Penelope Trunk. Nonetheless I recommend to not read it at all and believe that hard work and not lazy half-assign will make you more successful.
on 23 January 2018
You mind will blown by the writing in it and how you can enjoy your life the most and mostly feel like millionaire and billionaire!
review image
on 23 December 2017
A lot has been said about 4HWW. Some of the folks here have complained that the techniques and material is meant for western countries. Agreed. Totally.

However, having read the book three times the idea is have more free time by setting up muses. And allowing you to do things that you'd like to do. This year I've 'worked' for less than 30 days, whilst making the same amount of money the previous year. And the free time is spent in doing more things which are high priority. Obviously, this is not a go-to-guide to set up a small business which pays around 8-10 lacs and takes a year to start up (refer the 100$ startup by Chris Guillebeu, which is a actually a far better guide to start a small business online or offline). But TF does plant the seeds of designing your life around your highest priorities and having the time/money freedom to do so.

Must read, if you're in your twenties and willing to experiment.
on 5 August 2016
The author makes you clear the difference between what is it like to be a millionaire v/s living like a millionaire. It is about enjoying life like a millionaire.
This book is about achieving faster results than ever using techniques the author calls as DEAL.
This book lists microscopic things which will let you achieve faster results and more spare time in your life
The author then encourages and provides the path for you to have mini-retirements.
This book has made my thoughts more clear than ever.

However, this books states a lot of things which may not be applicable to you but you can simply skip it.
Primarily this book evolves around entrepreneurs.
The links given in this book do not work.
This book can be cut to half of its present size.

Overall, I would recommend everyone to read this book who wants to have free time in their life. You can freely skip through the content which is not relevant to you.
Received the book only at Rs. 275
on 7 March 2018
My Review-

In the “Financial Intelligence” and “Business Philosophy” genre, I recommend two top books most of the times,

1. Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T Kiyosaki, and

2. 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris.

It’s a wonderful book to develop a mindset for business, filled with so many practical tips and suggestions by Tim Ferris. It’s a must-read for everyone.

The 4-Hour Work Week is divided into 4 major parts of DEAL, which stands for-

D: Definition= What do you exactly want from life?

E: Eliminate= Cut out whatever isn’t helping you grow. Focus on productivity.

A: Automate= Do outsourcing. Or, Be a good middleman and earn some extra passive income.

L: Liberation= Be free. Create freedom of locomotion.

In this book, the author Tim Ferris has described different points that differentiate the New Rich from the Traditional Old Rich people. In other words, Tim Ferris has described a lot of ways following which you can be rich, along with being free, more productive and more content.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 February 2018
This book might just be a game changer for those who understand what the New Rich is. The definition of rich is defined in this generation not just as a result of the amount of money you earn or possess, but the kind of lifestyle you live. It is such a fun book that I've read even during those days where I didn't know what I was supposed to do with my life and this book is a bundle of a million ideas that can be out into practice immediately. A good well balanced lifestyle where family and friends and creativity as well as health is taken care of is a good life for me. And this book encourages you to do that!!! :) Total must read for all.
on 17 October 2015
Definitely a must read for people who think radically instead of following the heard. It's a great eye opener for anyone who wants to live his life rather than just exist. The concept of mini retirements is of course tempting - I haven't got a chance to try it yet. The idea of multiple streams of income is not new but the way this books talks about implementing is very interesting - but I'm not sure if this is feasible for all Indians.

On the other hand, this book is definitely not meant for people who want to play it "Safe" - Remember, it's a very different book. Not many people will agree with all the approaches mentioned in the book (including myself) but yes I can definitely try a couple of good things mentioned in the book
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse