Top critical review
Reviewed in India on 10 November 2018
After reading this book, I understood what it is meant by ‘’ a pen is mightier than a sword’’
The tarnished image of Indian National Congress is meticulously sewed by MR Tharoor, using this book as a needle, and Modi as a thread.
In a first, after reading this book we get to know that the book name is one of the possibilities, and so the correct one could be THE PARADOXES IN INDIAN POLITICS AND PROPAGANDA OF CONGRESS.
The book is divided into 5 sections, comprising of 50 chapters, which gives details on a wide array of topics. Most of the things which MR Tharoor explains can be meant to both current ruling party and its predecessor, this is to say that it gives detail accounts of failures of the current Government that can be attributed to the past Government as well. Italicized words are from the book and the other is my reply to these assertions.
1. A) pg-46: Yet Narendra Modi has managed a complex modus vivendi with the RSS. B) Pg-57: In some ways, Mr Modi seems to have outgrown the RSS prejudices. Pg-58: Mr Modi’s love towards Gandhi is just for political gains since Gandhi enjoys a high charisma in the international audience. C) Pg-82: RSS Leadership is currently struggling with a critical dilemma to support the BJP in the Lok Sabha elections.
2. A) Pg-71: Comparisons are, of course, ALWAYS invidious, all the more so when they involve political leaders from different countries. But there’s something about the trajectories of Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan and India’s Narendra Modi that makes comparisons irresistible.
3. A) Pg 153: In this 2013 judgment that reaffirmed section 377, the Supreme Court said that legislators, not judges, must decide its fate. Unfortunately, Parliament proved itself unequal to the task; the bigotry and homophobia in the ruling party and the indifference and prejudice in much of Opposition had rendered the institution a temple of hypocrisy on this issue. Indeed, the legislative recourse of the injustice of section 377 would not have been available as long as the Bjp was in power. B) Pg 154: The Modi government deserves no credit for the abolition of section 377. It allowed its MPs to twice thwart my attempts to raise the issue on the floor of the house. In point A Mr Tharoor said it was the collective fault of the ruling party and the Opposition, in the B point, he has no qualms in accusing the Bjp government.
4. Pg 168, Chapter thirteen: One of the hallmarks of a vibrant, thriving democracy is a free and health press, India is ranked 138th out of 180 countries, a disgraceful score.
(The Wire, 02-11-18) the decline in journalism and the state of freedom within the media is not a creation limited entirely to 2017 or the past four years alone. Even the UPA government in 2012 had sent out advisories to broadcast media on the criticism of the then prime minister Manmohan Singh by the opposition after his Independence Day address.
So the matter before us is not the 138 this year or 140 ranking (2014) or 131 ranking (2012). It is whether the press will get due freedom and if political parties are ready to address it through their manifestos. It would be a wonder if civil society stands up and makes the matter personal enough to emote over. And it would be even more powerful if journalists themselves came together to protect their right to expression as it is their diversity and plurality that will help us learn more about the length, breadth and width of what our nation is while checking the powers that be at the Fourth Estate.
1. Pg-84: It is clear that Modi wants his supporters to view him as a messianic figure.
The Hindu 30-05-14: I firmly believe that the life story of living individuals should not be included as a part of school curriculum- Narendra Modi.
2. A) Pg 89: While assorted Hindutva thugs and goons are busily engaged in assaulting minorities, Dalits, liberals and Women, another battle is being fought for the hearts and minds of all Indians. B) Pg 103: Chapter three, a growing wave of communalism. C) Pg 121: Chapter five, Minority report.
June 6, 2018. Times of India: India has moved up four places to the 137th rank on the 2018 Global peace index; it is due to a reduction in the level of violent crime driven by increased law enforcement, according to a report
Finally, these are very few points that I pointed out, there are many more. Only one side of the argument is given, and while stating some definitions and platitudes, I somehow found a very good correlation with the Congress rule.
Well, these things are as far as my knowledge could reach currently, however, I’m prepared to read further, and keep updating my review.
This is a new addition which is written after the loss of the Bjp in Hindi heartland. **
*In this book, it is grandiloquently described that in the 2014 elections there is a number of young voters who do not know what has happened in the Godhra riots, and by listening to Modi’s words everyone did vote. *
Now, Madhya Pradesh Cheif Minister is Kamal Nath who has been accused of heading a mob lynching Sikhs after the death of Indira Gandhi. Our magnificent author of this book stated that Kamal Nath should get the benefit of the doubt as what Modi has got.
I guess this statement erodes the integrity of the literature, mocks the readers for purchasing, and a wonderful insult of supporters of this book: By saying you people are going to read this book and believe because I've got a very good vocabulary and make use of magical words. The people who support this book are going to bend their head in shame.
*He pointed out the changing of Vice Chancellors of the educational institutions and uses his vocabulary by stating: it dampens the organisational quality. *
After Kamal Nath has become CM he transferred 24 collectors, 48 IAS officers. Loan waiver increased the NPA’S to 24%. Rajasthan Government has taken back the law of having a certain educational qualification, and a functional toilet to be an eligible candidate in participating civic elections. The statement given was: it is an advertisement for’’ Swatch Barath mission’’. I’m literally ashamed that a party which exists in my country can withdraw such a good law.
Now, the people who supported this book just think aren’t they literally liberal rhetoric and a device of propaganda? And by believing this book is not a loss to the nation but the loss to our self-respect.
Read this Book, keeping blame aside for a minute think of the other government, if Modi didn’t do, did others do?
Check online for additional information, since only one side of an issue is given.
Post reviews and be open for discussion.
To get into a conclusion, please do read, THE MYTH OF HINDU TERROR- MANI, OF COUNSEL- ARAVIND SUBRAMANIAN, URBAN NAXALS- VIVEK, AND RSS- WALTER ANDERSON.
Don’t be infatuated with the mellifluous work, and vouch for everything that is written.
Don’t come to a conclusion with these words check for the other side of the issue.
IT IS WORTHY TO NOTE THAT THE BOOK, '' CREATIVE DISRUPTOR AND THE MAKER OF NEW INDIA'', HAS COME, WHICH GIVES A COUNTER ARGUMENT TO THE PARTISAN PROPAGANDA, PLEASE DO CHECK IT OUT TO GET A CLEAR PICTURE OF CURRENT POLITICS.