auto-hp family

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 May 2017
*Check-out my IG handle for more info on Books @ IG/foodiebiblophile *

Runs with the Speed of FGFA !!!

After the long wait of 2 years, finally yesterday, "Sita - Warrior Of Mithila " was delivered to me ( at 1556 hours ) and I started the book in the late evening and wrapped it in a single sitting. Like the spell bounded the first installment of the Ram Chandra Series, Sita-Warrior of Mithila "reads with the speed tantamount to any fifth-generation fighter jet. The depiction of a woman warrior justifies the title of the book.

Plot launched with Sita's fighting spirit while her abduction but after the initial chapter, the story went back to the making of the Sita as the warrior princess. And before I write further, let me get one thing clear: Ram Chandra Series is delineated on the epic Ramayana and major anecdotes are taken from it but Amish, as we expect, have weaved a world of fantasy on the basis of that outline.

Subsequent floods had changed the course of river Gandaki, which earlier flows from Mithila, and the rains also failed which caused huge economic damage to Mithila. But Mithila's loss was Sankashya's gain. Mithila was ruled by a devout and spiritual man named Janak who's married to a pragmatic woman Sunaina while the kingdom of Sankashya was ruled by Janak's younger brother Kushadhwaj. But the woes like rainfall-failure makes the Kushadhwaj rose in stature as the de facto representative of the clan of Mithi. After seeking the blessings of Kanyakumari , Child Goddess, Janak and Sunaina came across a quaint scene. An injured vulture was surrounded by the pack of wolves and watching this unfair act of aggression, Sunaina spurred her horse to protect the bird and from some distance that the vulture was protecting a baby from the pack of the wolves.Goading her horses into a fierce gallop, Sunaina pressed forward to protect the child and the vulture. Sunaina's arrival scared the wolves to run away and with an approval from Janak, that abandoned child was named as Sita çause she was found in a furrow in Mother Earth and raised as the princess of Mithila. Unlike other princesses, Sita was made to study not just science and philosophy but also learned the martial arts and warfare combat. Later Sita was nurtured as the person who will play a crucial role in making India as the brightest nation again. And in her quest to complete her mission, she chose Ram as her partner. Sita ruled with pragmatism while Ram sticked to the laws. In sita, Ram found an "Ardhangini ", a life-partner who wishes to bring the glory to India.
As wrote above, Amish has re-introduced Sita but with highlighting evils that are dwelling in our society against the woman. For instance the following conversation between Sunaina and Janak, "Sunaina looked at her husband and smiled as she caressed the baby's head. 'How can anyone abandon a child like her ?' Janak Sighed. 'Many People are not wise enough to count life's blessing. They keep focusing instead on what the world has denied them '", depicts the unfortunate truth of Indian societies in which Girl child are abandoned. Although many women have achieved what men failed to but in some societies girl child is still considered as an ill omen and Amish has rightly depicted how a girl child is a blessing.Apart from raising the tacit issue that Woman should be treated equally, Amish has bolted anecdotes that remind the citizens of their individual duties towards the Nation. In our urban society, there is a very common myth that poor are usually bad and avaricious people but Amish has bolted some logical words that will make readers understand that why and how, many times, a poor man is forced to be indulged in crime. "The Criminals among the rich are mostly driven by greed. One can negotiate with greed. But the criminals among the poor are driven by desperation and anger. Desperation can sometimes bring out the best in a human being. That's why the poor can often be noble. But desperation can also bring out the worst. They have nothing to lose.......But we should not be blind and assume that all poor are noble. Not everyone has the spirit to keep their character strong when their stomachs are angry. " said Sunaina while giving governing lessons to her daughter, Sita. Bitter relation of Vashishta & Vishwamitra, as well, keep the plot completely gripping part from the philosophical talks that are mentioned above.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 13 August 2017
To begin with, I have been a tad busy with my freelance work and so I didn't have time to complete reading this book. This is my first Amish Tripathi book and I wasn't really familiar with his writing or style. Though, I have the ebooks of Amish's last trilogy, I hadn't really read it. Neither was I planning to start on Ram Chandra series soon. But the book Sita- Warrior Of Mithila had become a rage even before it's release. It is a no brainer that series is based upon the great Indian epic of Ramayan. But what attracted me most was the presentation of the character of Sita. In this book wasn't a law abiding "wife" of Ram but she was a strong warrior woman.

The Ram Chandra series begins with the book Scion Of Ishvaku and while I will come back to reviewing the first in the series, here is my review of Sita - Warrior Of Mithila.

The book comes a full circle. Amish uses the technique of flashback to tell the story of a baby abandoned in a clearing. This child is adopted by King Janak and Queen Sunaina of Mithila. She grows up to be smart, rebellious and a brave heart, Sita. Sita, while in Gurukul, is entrusted with a secret mission for the well being of her country and so begins her search for a partner.

If you have read the earlier works of Amish then you might be aware of the tribe of Vayuputras, who worship Lord Rudra. In this series, Amish introduces the tribe of Malayaputras, who woship Lord Parshu Ram. The two warring tribes need to come together for the brighter future of their country. Again, it is a no brainer that Ram and Sita belong to the Vayuputras and Malayaputras respectively. These two together will change the face of India.

What I loved about the book is that Amish hasn't changed the essence of the epic but he has replaced the myth with logic. What is a Lakshman Rekha or what is asuraastra and daivi Astra? He has it all explained in his work. Another facet I loved about the book, he has some immensely philosophical and enlightening dialogues presented in the novel. The character of Sita isn't developed in a rush. Amish takes it slowly, introducing us to the character and her traits. I so, so, loved this gradual development. All the other characters from Ramayan are given a logical occupation and backstory. For instance, the character of Raavan is a trader king from Lanka and has conquered the seaways. He is ruthless and evil. Vaanars are those humans who are quite hairy and so resemble monkeys. Manthara is a trader and is quite rich and famous who wants to avenge her daughter's pride by bringing down the Raghu clan.

However, the book seemed to rush when it came to Ram and Sita leaving for exile. And there were those parts where Amish tried infusing romance but it looked artificial or more like an attempt at romance. The development of Ram-Sita relationship wasn't tied up well and that was a put off. Hanuman, though, plays a essential role in the epic, his contribution was minimum when it came to the novel.

Over all, the book does justice to the epic and especially the often overshadowed character of Sita. For someone like me who has written a women centric debut novel(Beyond The Veil-The Journey Of An Indian Girl) this was thoroughly an enjoyable read.

On the scale of readability, I rate it 10 on 10.

How much rating will I give this one? 4.5 out of 5 stars.

If you have read this one, do let me know your views in the comment box below.

PS: I received a signed book copy as a gift from my dear friend Marian Lima.
review image
on 31 May 2017
Scion of ikshvaku hit a major chord with me, a chord that stood apart from those hit by the shiva trilogy. Because the philosophy had a softer, more polished and a broader tone to it as opposed to the shaper and radical ones offered in the shiva trilogy. It was the injection of that serene mood more than the fantasized storyline that made it heartwarming. So naturally I had expected more of the same and much more from the second book of the series. All the broad philosophical themes are still there, the epic vision and imagination still exists but they don't work in harmony. They seem like individual set pieces that don't quite fill up the final storyboard, thus the attempted emotional mileage fell short most of the times and there are supposedly times when Amish dives more into the details, which is fine but you can't help but feel like he is pondering over these details to keep the pieces stitched together, in more straightforward terms, it felt draggy, especially the latter half of the book. But I'm still going to pick up the third book with almost the same enthusiasm, as I like the idea of providing a backdoor to all the three main characters before assembling the final showdown, and I'm genuinely interested in how Amish will be handling the extremely strong and enigmatic character of ravana in the next book, and i think he has thrown in a major clue right at the end with regards to what will be coming between raavana and sita.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 July 2017
Amish Tripathi and Ashwin Sanghi are the two guys because of whom I started reading mythological fictions big time and have actually discovered some really fantastic books (Palace of Illusions and Karna's wife). Shiva Trilogy (from Amish) was a fantastic read, no doubt, first being the best and second still was able to hold my interest unfortunately the third one didn't work (wonders) but when I heard him writing another couple of books on Ramayan, I was excited. The prequel to this one (Sita) was "Scion of ikshvaku" was a good read I will say but the way he finished it and kept the readers hanging asking for more (a closure) which again unfortunately doesn't come in the shape of Sita as this book exactly ends at the same point where the first one ended, how sad it is. Why? because he wants to make it a trilogy or may be a fourology or something. Sita for first is a drag just because he has to write the whole book on her character - he tries his level best to make it interesting which it isn't. He has actually tempered so much with the Epic that it doesn't even works like a fiction even for someone as easy to please as me who loves fictions. This was a complete disaster, although he has tried all the tricks in the trade to shatter the image of Sita I had in my mind but no ways I am going to remember this book six months down the line nor I will recommend it to anyone. Yes, he is definitely going the Chetan Bhagat way by writing a book which can be made into a superb action movie starring Angelina Jolie (Tomb Raider minus leather plus cotton and replace guns with knives) as Sita as no one can do what his Sita does in the book, totally ROFL stuff this is.

How much liberty is too much in the name of fiction? that is one question that kept coming to my mind as I kept going forward as I am one of those people who would not leave a book half read, however tuff the book could be or whatever sort of disaster it may turn out to be. But this has some serious crap that I really need to name here like using the words like "Lady Sita" as if I am reading some western epic and then the characters will be mouthing the lines like "You got to do what you got to do". Sita being five years elder then Ram was a revelation if thats true. He has actually made her a superb Warrior in his book and story, not only she is a perfect warrior but she doubles up as an Architect too. If thats not enough he actually lets her do a sort of Chariot race (Gladiator style). Vyomkesh the detective and his stories existed in the then era again was an eye opener of sorts for me (me poor unread soul). Hanuman happens to be Sita's moohn bola brother of sorts and they knew each other prior to Ram developing a connection with the great Hanuman and it doesnt end here can you believe that? Do you remember why Ram, Lakshman and Sita go for 14 years exile? Amish has a different theory for it altogether. If Draupadi can be in love with Karn in a work of fiction why cant Raavan be in love and awe with Sita? He definitely can and so does Amish's Raavan, he has feelings for Sita The Warrior. Shit just keeps getting deeper I tell you. And then they all keep calling the country "India" that was like a WHOA!! Did I read it correctly? Time was already invented as they calculate everything in hours like I will see you in half hour or may be an hour and a half later - my foot. Area names like Kerala, Mizoram, Colaba etc keep popping here there and everywhere. At one point of time imagine they actually go to a place called Mumbadevi the seven island city :) I was so looking forward that he will call it Mumbai but he doesn't.

But the best was when Sita meets Ram before marriage mind it and says somethings like "you have got to be joking" I felt like this was some NRI Sita he was talking about and she even says "I love you" to Ram before even she gets married to him. Bravo Amish Tripathi, this is the height of Fiction I should call it. There is this epic line I need to mention before I forget (the entire book) there comes a moment when someone says "Manthra is not interested in game of thrones". Can you beat that? And you know what? Pushpak Viman was actually a 737 Aircraft which can bloody take 100 Lankans for a ride at a time with Raavan and his brother Kumbhakaran on board too. Amish had actually run out of the ideas I guess while writing this one as his detailing had such an uncanny resemblance to the scenic beauty of "Lord of the rings" that I just couldn't believe it. I am sure I will not be the only person pointing this out, the caves, waterfalls, mountains and palaces etc. The similarity was so much that for once I though Mr. Frodo may pop out and ask where he should go to destroy the ring :). This is I guess one of the worst botched up version of an Epic that we all have loved at one point of time. He has made it a joke but yes a thrilling ride but pointless and I am not even looking forward to the final book of the series now which will be based on Raavan. That's going to be another joke I guess as he is going to leave no stone upturned in making him a sort of a Hero. So if you have read this one already, do let me know how you liked it and if you haven't, I guess you should stay away.

PS: I was furiously angry while composing the review and I unfortunately do not read again before posting, so please excuse if I have gone overboard.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 January 2018
I was not much impressed with Scion Of Ikshvaku when compared to Shiva trilogy.It was because of Amish work I started to explore mythology books.Now that I have finished Sita and it was good and far way better than Scion Of Ikshvaku.

The book cover is indeed the best one. It’s more of muscles rather than flesh.Well the content too went with the same sort.Women characters always takes a special top note in Amish’s books.

As I was aware that this is a fiction work , I was able to enjoy the characters part, especially Sita. Sita ,the Vishnu? and not Ram. Amish got me into the story from there itself. The narration was only with Sita and author managed it by not involving Ram much in this book. The way author described Sita through Ram’s eyes in Scion Of Ikshvaku was terribly lost in this book.Author couldn’t bring that magic with his narration while he is directly handling Sita here. And I felt the conversation part was missing and there were more of political and governance of Sita( which we already know through Scion Of Ikshvaku).It would have been interesting if there were pages of Sita’s Vishnu training part. But with author’s simple narration and choice of phrases made me to read the book without hanging back.

I liked Jatayu role and the way author narrated his character. He was magnificent. Hanuman being with Sita was totally unexpected and waiting to see how his character will be portrayed in the last book. Last 100 pages were dragging as the plot became compulsive towards the end

I wouldn’t say that the book disappointed me but definitely the cup could have been filled with little more of actions as its being a fiction
review image
on 20 December 2017
Mythology is like a fertile land where you can sow seeds of your imagination and reap beautiful stories.

Amish Tripathi has exactly done that. That too beautifully.

After a lot of introspection, I laid my hands on Amish Tripathi's Sita Warrior of Mithila. I was really bored of reading the same Ramayan story again and again but Amish has really done a good job of weaving beautiful bits of stories within the story that was never thought of in other books of Ram and Sita. Sage Vishwamitra and Sage Vashista's enmity story was quite refreshing to read. The writer has, carefully, added all the necessary ingredients to make the book a bestseller in today's time. Women power, heated up issues like Jallikattu, are some that I can think of now. Queen Sunaina, Sita are shown in a powerful light as against the male counterparts of the book. I think, in a bid to portray Ram as an idol person, he made him look like a dunce in most of the places. Lakshman's portrayal as macho man was a fresh change. He broke the stereotypical characteristization of the character that we are so used to. The presence of unheard characters like Samichi, Khara, Radhika added that extra spice required for the book. One thing that struck me as erroneous was addressing India as India. In Treta yuga, I am not sure whether our country was addressed as India. I think, Bharat would have been convincing.

His usage of staccato sentences keep you gripped till the end of the book. But some of them are questionable when we look at it from a grammatical point of view.

I don't want to give out the story in a fit of curiosity and kill your joy of reading it. So I leave it here. 😊

All in all, it's a book you can read to pass your time. Don't read it to improve your language; not recommended. A complete masala of a best seller, definitely.
on 1 June 2017
I have picked up this book after reading the first book in the Ramachandra series. However I should say this book has not lived up to the benchmark set by the previous book. I love Amish's story telling technique and the way he builds the characters. When I read "Scion of Ikshvaku", I fell in love with Lakshman, Ram, Sita, Jatayu and others. When I read "Sita - Warrior of Mithila", I fell in love with Sunaina and fell for Jatayu again.

I loved Sita's character the warrior, the princess and for the most part, however sometimes the author tried to oversimplify her character much to my dislike. I read and reread the parts where she was a feisty princess, I loved her. Nonetheless the parts where she espouses her views about caste system,dharma, patriotism, I somehow felt that she lacked conviction and they sounded too cliched.This is where I felt disappointed with Sita's characterization.

If you have read "Scion of Ikshvaku", you can read half of the book and then gently ignore the remaining chapters and move on to the last one. Amish should have written this book in 180-200 pages at the most, there is lot of repetition from the first part, not just scenes but chapters together. He should have avoided this and made this book more gripping.

His idea of juxtaposing modern India's evils (problems) with that of Ancient scriptures is noteworthy, but I think he has overdone in this book.
1.The Delhi gang rape incident,
2.The Caste problem
3.India's disdain for the rich.

When I want to read a historical fiction, I would want the contemporary influence to be as minimal as possible, if at all there is any it should be really subtle.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 July 2017
"Below expectations" and that's not good at all as my expectations were already low after reading the first book of the series.

I think the biggest drawback of this series is RAMAYANA itself. No... I am not criticizing Ramayana, in fact it’s the exact opposite. Ramayana is no doubt the most followed and most famous creation ever in INDIA but it has a definite start, certain set of characters and a definite end as well. Now in my opinion these factors probably acted as the limitations for Amish, which wasn't the case with SHIVA Trilogy. SHIVA is ETERNAL, INFINITE; He neither took birth nor does he die. He exists in every timeline so he is not limited to any one particular story arc. This gave Amish the freedom and flexibility which is almost impossible with any other mythological character. Because of this he was able to choose and develop the plot as per his ideas without much of a limitation. This also gave him the possibility to include some other well known mythological characters such as Brhaspati, Bhrigu, Kali, Parashurama etc. Plus I think the “Mytho+Fiction” concept was quite refreshing when he wrote Shiva trilogy but since then it's been explored by numerous writers so it has lost its charm quite a bit. Anyway, all the above mentioned factors collectively made Shiva trilogy what it is today. Now with this series though Amish can take the creative liberty but he is bound to follow the bigger picture, important characters and their final destiny. This not only takes away the critical surprise element but also the uniqueness or freshness a long series requires.

Having said all these I think Amish still could have done a better job. The idea of putting half of the story in three different novels with different characters' perspective is okay if you have that much to elaborate, which isn't the case with these initial two parts. It stretched the series unnecessarily and few pages or sometimes the minor details felt forced and quite boring. I think it would have been much better if he had put Sita and Ram's story in a single book as they are closely linked, especially Sita's Swayamvar onwards. After that the story is same in both the books including dialogues, just the Point-Of-View is different. Thankfully there is a gap of almost 2 years between the two books so the repetitions are not that annoying. But at the same time it’s not a good thing for some small events which were kind of incomplete in the first book and got completed in this book. I can digest the idea of narrating the story with Ravan's POV as it will be quite different but I think Amish missed the trick by dividing Sita and Ram's story in two separate books. It made some important events boring after 1st description, for example - now we have to read Ravan's participation in Sita's Swayamvar for the third time in next book. Similarly just imagine reading the event of Sita Haran for the 5th and 6th time in next book as it was mention twice (in first and last chapters) in both the books. That's a complete waste of a lot many pages.

Ironically this is not the only complain I have with this book. The book is very slow paced and there aren't enough twists and turns to keep you invested. The supposed twist in the last page was quite obvious and doesn’t make any impact. Since it's a prequel of SHIVA trilogy we already know some answers which could have been interesting otherwise. I literally had to force myself to finish this one and I really hope that the series would pick up from here otherwise I may have to leave it unfinished.
on 11 June 2017
The purpose to write is to share my experiences of studying various versions of Ramayana as well as commentaries by learned people. I also intend to get some information of the research done by Ameesh.

So far, Ameesh’s writing is the most unconventional about Ramayana. I believe that each writer has the freedom to use his imagination up to an extent, and Ameesh’s imagination is praiseworthy specially to think of trade rivalry between Indian kings and Raavan and Raavan’s zeal to control trade to/from Indian ports.

Some differences that I found in Ramchandra series books are:
• Shri Ram and his three brothers were born on same day i.e. Ram Navmi; however, Ameesh has given different dates of birth.
• Queen Kaikeyi was King Dashrath’s Saarathi when he fought alongside with Devas against the Demons. However, Ameesh mentioned that Kaikeyi was Saarathi when Dashrath fought against Raavan. Also, the day was not Ram’s birthday.
• Ram’s relationship with King Dashrath was not as depicted by Ameesh. Most literature mention that King Dashrath loved Ram most among his sons.
• Kaikeyi too loved Ram as much she loved Bharat. Only after Manthara’s advices, she stood up against Ram that too for a short time.
• Rivalry between Guru Vashishtha and Guru Vishwamitra ended when the latter attained title of Brahamarshi after penance of hundreds of years. They had fought a bitter battle to own NANDINI, a cow who fulfilled every wish of its devotee. Ameesh, however, mentioned that both Gurus still considered each other as rivals and NANDINI was a woman.
• Guru Vashishtha was son of Bhagvaan Brahma who himself had appointed him as the Rajguru of Surya Vansh. While Guru Vishwamitra was a king before he became Brahamarshi. Moreover, Vishwamitra was younger to Guru Vashishtha. Ameesh, however, has shown them as classmates in Ashram.
• Bhagvaan Parshuram used to take rest in night at the Mahendra Parvat, that is considered to be located in Southern Orissa. During Mahabharat, Karna also went to this region to became disciple of Bhagvaan Parshuram. (Reference: Mrityunjaya by Late Shivaji Savant). Ameesh mentions that Bhagvaan Parshuram lived in modern day Keral.
• During Sita Swayamvara, when Shri Ram meets Bhagvaan Parshuram who tests him by using the divine bow of Shri Vishnu, Sarang. When Shri Ram succeeds, Bhagvaan Parshuram gives him the bow. The other divine bow, Pinaka of Shri Mahedev was already broken by Shri Ram to fulfill terms of Swayamvara. In the book, there is no meeting of Shri Ram and Bhagvaan Parshuram. Moreover, the description of Swayamvara is similar to that of Draupadi Swayamavara. Ameesh also mentions that Guru Vishwamitra carries Pinaka with him to Keral.
• In Sita’s childhood, her uncle gives her an “Arabic Horse”. The word and region “Arab” was not used in the time of Ramayana. Even after centuries, when Alexander invaded India, there existed Misr, Babylon, and Persia but no Arab.
• Queen Sunayana, Sita’s mother meets Shri Ram and others in Chitrakoot during their exile. However, according to book, Queen Sunayana dies in Sita’s childhood. Moreover, all four brothers get married at the same time in Mithila. But, Ameesh described marriage of only Shri Ram and Lakshman. Also, name of Mandavi (wife of Bharat) and Shrutkirti (wife of Shatrughna) who were Sita’s cousins is not mentioned.
• Nishadraj Guh, who helped Shri Ram cross river Ganga is not mentioned. Guh is considered one of the most ardent devotee of Shri Ram and because Shri Ram blesses Guh makes Shri Ram God of the Poor and downtrodden.

Ameesh seems to be influenced by the current events. In first book, Roshani, daughter of Manthara is sexually assaulted and killed by some criminals including a Minor. He cannot be killed legally but gets killed using other ways. We can draw parallel of this event with The 2012 Nirbhaya Case of New Delhi. Likewise, in “Sita”, we have a detailed description of Jallikattu while Shri Ram and others are near Panchavati, near modern day Nashik, Maharashtra. Bullock cart race is popular among farmers of this region while Jallikattu is celebrated in Tamil Nadu.

It seems Ameesh considers both Shri Ram and Sita ordinary people, not the Avatar of Shri Vishnu and Lakshmi. He prefers Ram and Sita to attain knowledge and virtues and rise to the occasion to attain a title/responsibility. This is normal for a hardworking human being; and, this pragmatism brings them closer to ordinary people. However, devotees of Shri Ram and Sita may feel betrayed of this description.

Hope Ameesh will share more information with readers about his research on above stated differences which will eventually benefit everyone.

Look forward to receive remaining two books sooner.
on 28 January 2018
The detailed book review is available at our website, here is the summarized one.

Amish Tripathi is one of the most popular authors in India, and when it comes to retelling mythology he is amongst the top brass, without a doubt. If you like his way of retelling Indian mythology by modernizing the characters/events/incidents, you cannot deny the fact that he knows the art of writing and marketing.

With "Ram Chandra Book Series", Amish experimented the Hyperlinking style of storytelling. So, in this book series, the book has explored the story of Ram in "Scion Of Ikshvaku", this second book explores the story of Sita, and the third one will explore the story of Raavan (in a book named Raavan: The Orphan Of Aryavarta). All these 3 books will end to a common point, and the book onwards will follow the story from that point forward.

The Plot:
While the story of Ramayan (or Ramayana) is so popular throughout India and many other countries, that there is almost nothing new to tell. However, as the name suggests, it is Ram-ayana. It is the story of Ram. In which he was the main character and was told from that perspective only.

The author tried exploring the first half of that story from Sita's perspective.

The book explores Sita's growing up and being converted into an excellent fighter. It also explores the way Sita knew about the poor part of the society and she decided to be a better administrator. The poor economy and lack of resources are the biggest challenges Mithila was facing. Janak was a pious and wise man, but he is more into spiritual wellness and better human qualities. A ruler, however, needs to remain aware of the ground realities and material stuff as well. And Janak was quite a short here.

His brother took advantage of it, and the things are not becoming very good, at least as much expected, for Mithila anytime soon.

If that is not all, the two legend sages of the time Vasishtha and Vishwamitra had different opinions about how to make the society a better place. They both agree that a new way of living must be implemented and a new Vishnu needs to emerge. But, who will be the new Vishnu? Well, they both had their own opinions and course of actions in that arena.

How the things lead to the abduction of Sita, is the rest of the story explored in the book.

Views and Reviews:
I've tried exploring the plot in way that we can avoid spoilers (at least as many as possible), we will try to follow the same in this segment also, but be warned, there can be a few :)

The book follows quite a different perspective from the traditional Ramayan. And, those who've read other books by Amish are well aware of it, and they know what to expect from his books, so no warning is needed here. I would, however, suggest reading this book with the open mind.

The good thing about this book is the way the characters are built. Gradually and strongly.

Sita's character stands out in many ways. Being a protagonist, more focus is set on her, of course. But, she is not merely a follower or like any other princess who was usually grown up enjoying the luxuries of life. She is a strong warrior and possesses exceptional administrative skills. If you want to see "what women empowerment is?", then this book gives you a really good idea. We've often mentioned women empowerment had nothing to do with mimicking actions of men or the size of the cloths. It is all about gender equality.

The author took good care of other characters too. Even the characters of Jatayu, Manthara, Malayputras, Vibhishan and other are given the attention they require.

Amish is good at exploring landscapes and war scenes and it is evident here as well. He also tried adding contemporariness by including some incidents happened during the time he was writing the book.

Sometimes, however, you feel that the book becomes too much modern, in terms of technicality, terms, and incidents.

The cover page of the book is quite interesting, and it shows the warrior quality of the protagonist.

Some of the lines of the book remain with you even after you complete reading it.

The book is not a masterpiece. But, it has most of the ingredients found in mythology-retelling books. Good exploration of characters, a new way to understand and re-tell ancient tale, and good writing and marketing abilities of the author, definitely works in the favor of the author. You will enjoy reading it, only with an open mind. I will suggest you to buy it when a good offer (which is frequently available) is running on.

We will give it 7 out of 10 stars (as Amazon supports full stars only, we've rounded it here).
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse