auto-hp family womens-fashion

Customer reviews

on 6 August 2015
We are going to be here for a while… so get ready for a really long review

Huge thanks to the author for contacting me and giving me an opportunity to read his work and secondly please accept my apologies for what I have to say about the book is going to be extremely rude and brazen. I know it can be harsh but I believe it is better to be honest than sugar coating if you wanted an honest opinion in the first place.

I think after today, the author would be joining the list of people that wants to kill me (trust me you might want to get yourself a large tub of popcorn because the list is quite long and the wait would be even more longer)

I don’t understand…. is it a mandatory part of the curriculum of every engineering and management student in this country to write a novel and that too on the same grated out topic of campus love without the basic sense of romance? If it is so important to write a romance novel for these students then why not add Nicholas Sparks books to the curriculum so as to at least learn the basic threads that weave a romance novel

This book stands for everything that I despise in Indian fiction,
the reason why I dread to pick a book by an Indian author below 30 years. I remember being really raged after reading one such book and till date I regret for my brash and rude review I had written at that time but I still stand by what I said in that review and in fact the exact same thing could go for this book as well

I am irate as to how this book is an epitome for naivety. At the end of the day this is a fiction and as per my understanding a work of fiction should the very least have a story to it . Where was the story? The whole story started and ended in one page which is to say at the back cover of the book and rest was nothing but just a test of patience for its readers.

Lets pick up this book piece by piece

Story

Could you please point that to me in the book?

A guy in love with two girls- fair enough though lacking in originality that was a theme that could weave a story but you enter the book go through the strenuous and blanched 288 pages of pointless narration and still no sign of the relationship or so called torrid affair. If a bunch of conversation over telephone or over cup of telephone and accidental meetings along with your whole gang of friends in passing is your idea of romance then I am afraid I may have to suggest you to do better research.

You had a story at hand and rather than focusing on developing it, it’s a pity that the entire book focuses on the character’s well to do background exhibited through constant mention of the grandeur of his house, the latest gadgets and cars he uses and the number of friends he has, the great marketing tricks he owns and the skills of bargaining he has.

Why is it important for the readers to know which TV Drama you were watching and what you ate before going to sleep or what movie was running at that time when there was an entire story plot left to be noticed. How naïve you have to be to believe one telephonic conversation or a stroll in the park is all that is required for two souls to be in eternally love.

In the acknowledgment the author have stated that his vision was to create a story based on Indian marriage but can you please tell me how you achieved that? It could have if you have focused on narrating and developing the relationship between the characters. More focused on the turmoil of a character forced between the societal and parental decisions and longing of his heart but as of now the book is all about the vacations, the parties or movie hangouts our central character had.

For a romance, there was hardly any opportunity when these so called “lovers” even had a moment together and bother to pour their hearts out and then the central character proclaim he is in love after mere occasional brushing past each other.

Either you are really mocking the whole idea of “love” and relationship or showing your dearth of experience towards the same or really exhibiting the egoistical typical male mentality of Indian men who think girls are malleable and vulnerable enough to fall for you after you pay for their cup of coffee or help them in a tricky situation. There are various points in the book that actually got me fuming as to how low the central character or in turn the author thought of women in general (you were straight cut cheating on both women when all it could take was one conversation to relay your true feelings and then you thought the girls were being difficult and jealous for no reason… !! )

Narration.

Telling us what you did throughout the day, what you wore, what you ate, where you went, where you slept and then a detailed telephonic conversation script is not what you call narration or even story telling. It is called diary writing and even for that this was way too vapid. Why do I care how much profit you made in a day in your shop or how much you sold a product for or where you got your infrastructure from when the book was supposed to be on Indian marriage and not your daily activity.. The book was more of reporting one’s daily activities

Language:

for god sake’s Hinglish is not a language. While writing an English fiction, using Hindi should be forbidden unless it is being used to depict a proper noun or it is really crucial to the plot but in this book I never saw the relevance of those Hindi lines used.

Now to the main problem…

The language of the book is terrifying. How? The author has simply translated the hindi sentences to English and calls it story telling. Even that would have worked if the hindi sentences in itself was effective.

There is a huge difference between conversational language and written language. You cannot simply use the day to day vocal conversations to narrate a story as it is a different set of language and skills that come into play when narrating a story.

And in the end adding the “f” word, dude or screwed doesn’t make it any attractive or better

I think I have said quite a lot and pretty rudely too but I was that fumed reading the book
Mourning the death of all those trees who gave their lives for an unappreciative cause, I would like to say that:

I know in my sarcasm I am ripping apart somebody’s hard work and I am really sorry that I have to be so rude about the book but the truth is that all the efforts have been completely wasted as the end result was such a disappointment. But somewhere I believe the author alone could not be blamed but the editors should be too .as they should have noticed the fact that the book lacked the very basic thing- the story, the plot. So called romance book that had nothing to do with romance, the core plot and ended up rubbing it on our face as to how rich our central character was along with being pompous and obsessed with his clothes, face and hair. Language is so robotic and like being sieved through a Hindi- English translator.
on 10 September 2017
Just another Durjoy Dutta wanna be, not that anyone with sound literate knowledge should imitate him.
Bad Grammar. Cliched Story Line.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 June 2015
I encountered Akshat (the author) long back in Twitter, and he sent me 3 sample chapters of his book. Personally, I didn't like it then and gave him suggestions for improvement, especially in the language and grammar part; the story, though, seemed intriguing. Recently, his book was released, and I bought it without thinking. After perusing a few pages I realized, tout de suite, that this author is different from any other casual debut Indian author. His penchant for hard work can be discerned from the vein in which he enhanced his language and punctuation since I last perused it.

However, I still don't like the vein in which the story commences - extremely difficult to digest and unnatural. How could you suddenly exchange "I Love You" vows with a girl when you are fantasizing another? Nevertheless, the plot flows smoothly after that. What will transpire in Sujay's life, whom will he choose (among his girlfriend and half-fiancee), does keep the reader hooked till the end.

En route, however, there are tons of unnecessary conversations which vexed me continually. Several pages of the book could have been reduced had those conversations (or parts of conversations), having no connection to the primary plot, been eliminated.

The language, though, is satisfactory throughout. The author has tried to employ decent vocabulary. Mostly, it works, but sometimes, it doesn't; the word selection seems forced. Withal, there are a few spelling mistakes. One additional round of editing would have indubitably ironed them out.

The best part is the unpredictable, heart-wrenching ending. Here the talent of the author shines brilliantly. The vein in which he has narrated this part is exceptionally praiseworthy. The ending proves his worth as a budding, talented writer with great potential.

Nevertheless, a very honest attempt by a debut author. There is scope for improvement in a few places, but he is certainly a good storyteller, and I see a bright future for him in the literary world if he improves a trifle (and lessens the use of Hindi words).

Language - 3.5 stars
Plot - 4 stars
Ending - 4.5 stars
Too many unnecessary conversations mars the reader's interest - 2 stars
Overall rating - 3.5 stars
on 7 October 2015
'Bachelor’s Marriage' by Akshat Solanki revolves around the story of Sujay, the protagonist, his fiancée, Jyothi, and his love interest, Gunjan.

I liked this novel for its take on Rajasthani marriage customs and traditions. Description of Rajasthan and the culture followed there has been depicted well.

The novel has an enjoyable humour quotient; when Jyothi claims Gunjan to be her best friend and Sujay wonders, “This confused me since neither of them had obviously shared their biggest secret – me.” The examination hall scene with Himani was indeed funny.

I finished reading this novel at a single stretch because I was too curious to know the ending. Stuck between two girls in a complicated plot, I just wanted to know as to how Sujay would get out of this mess! The ending was totally unexpected but it did help the main lead in a big way and it also kept up the balance in the story. I did like the ending which solved all the problems in a jiffy.

Characterization of Sujay is reasonably good; a teenager obsessed with his looks and hair, he is a good son, religious, well-mannered, an entrepreneur with good knowledge of business at a very young age. His thinking and opinion about marriage and love is just like the thinking of any other teenager of his age!

Weak points: There is no “True Love” in this novel. The relationship Sujay shares with Jyothi and Gunjan is nothing but friendship, it isn’t love. Probably, Sujay has a teenage crush on either of them or just an infatuation but not love. Love happens only once, if it happens a second time, then remember that you were never in love the first time! And of-course loving two girls at the same time and having equal feelings for both of them is impossible; it looks like the love we have for our friends rather than the love for a soul-mate!
on 27 October 2015
Akshat Solanki is a young writer and his style of writing glued me though at times the monotonous conversations did hurt my nerves. He glues you by his style, style that is absurd telling almost a similar story in a different manner. Romantic fiction has now become something common and what makes it more interesting is that Akshat with his absurdities presents the subtle conversations. This is kind of bringing to the fore that which we sometime fail to recognize.
Akshat has no doubt used telephonic conversations but they are intentionally done so that we observe the most simplistic things in our life with more effort and attention.
The book presents a lot of colorful characters before us and they are not well-developed more so because it is not a need. Akshat should have taken little interest at editing the book more seriously because of the spelling errors present which cannot be digested given that one has a great narrative and linguistic style.
The book is a romantic novel, but unlike others this expresses romance in a different manner, to know or grasp the realm of the romance presented you ought to make efforts to purchase the book and read it.
The title though seems satirical, it is not logically correct. But the fact about it is, it leaves a hard impression on the reader or anyone who glances at just the title of the book. The title itself makes you think and fall for the book. So Akshat has used a lot of techniques not just to write the book with subtle absurdities but also with regard to its hidden marketing strategy.
on 14 December 2015
I'm a Japanese learning India.

Moved and impressed.

I appreciate the author as I've learned a lot.
Perspectives of young Indians, daily life, family, tradition, marriage, changes, trip, and .... emotion ...

I would learn Hindi to understand some of the lines. hahaha
on 10 July 2015
[...]

*****************SPOILER ALERT*****************
this review contains spoilers... read at your own risk!(you may get offended also)

Bachelor'$ Marriage is a debut novel by Akshay Pradeep Solanki and I won it as a giveaway on goodreads itself.
here is what I think of the book:

1. Writing : As it's a debut novel by the author the writing was amateur and at times absurd. I have a thing for dialogues and the dialogues in this book were either too dramatic or too dull or just useless. The words just didn't gripped me, they were lifeless, there were no feelings and writing felt to me as robotic. I don't want to offend anyone or discourage the author but the book needs a lot of editing and proofreading, at times it didn't even made sense. And yes, it should have been more expressive.

2. Story : I was really excited to get to the book as I got to know it's about Indian marriage system and youth but again I was disappointed here too. The story was just illogical and it didn't made any sense to me. I belong to the same age group as the characters and I couldn't relate to even a single thing. I was so disturbed to know that mothers are arranging the marriage of their 17/16 year children and they especially Jyoti was actually happy about it... Sujay really didn't utter a single word against it until the end of the book and that too wasn't so exciting maybe because of the writing or what idk! Then there was this annoying thing that Sujoy was betraying and playing with both the girls' feelings, it just got me "whoa! what the heck is this? i thought this book is about India and marriage and stuff but what is this happening here?"
Even the death of Gunjan wasn't an interesting plot twist according to me... the author could've thought of other possible twists and stuff...
And i don't really get that in what century the author is living... "When girls are on their periods, they should not engage themselves in any work, not even education" LIKE WHAT????!!!! this was total bullshit
Yes it did revealed the fact about marriages in India that how love marriage is a total no-no in our country and about arranging marriages of their children at this age reminded me of Balika Vadhu.. even they had a better script than the book.... and dialogues.
I am surely disappointed with the story I thought it would be rebellious, have strong twists and turns and thrills but i got none :( P.S. some writers here through their stories are encouraging people to come out of those impractical rituals and you are like dragging people back in the mess!

3. Characters : Nope! i didn't liked the characters either and couldn't even relate to any.
Sujay's character was so absurd and confusing! he is cheating on both the girls and says that he love both of them because they are "beautiful and hot and religious" PERVERT! and the surprising thing he cannot say no to either one.. wow! but Sujay you have to convert and become a muslim so that you can have more than one wife! DUDE! THAT'S NOT WHAT LOVE IS... I love flawed characters because one can relate to it but in this situation the character is the murderer of love and all the feels... sometimes he criticizes Jyoti, then he says he love her.. what do you want man???
If he is religious why is he a). fooling around with two girls? b). curse around (When he abused Himani whatever at the exam day i was like "What the heck! and he's religious) but you know what he goes to temple everyday... so yeah he is a religious person and moreover knows all the hymns and prayers!Isn't this great? (sarcasm alert)
And what to say about Gunjan and Jyoti I didn't get to know their traits other than- Hot, beautiful, Religious, Sexy and yeah not to forget their manners! :P

I know I got a little harsh but these were the feelings i got while reading this book and I really wanted to give up reading after 2nd chapter but the reviews and ratings and hope for a great ending motivated me and that's how I dragged myself to the ending... I'm so NOT looking forward for the sequel.
<br/><br/>