auto-hp family

on 3 August 2017
Mrs. Funnybones by Twinkle Khanna is a first person, fact and fiction account of a woman - a daughter, a wife, a daughter-in-law, a mother, a homemaker and an entrepreneur, all in one body. While I don't know how much of it happened in real, and how much of it was improvised upon, I am happy for the fact that I got my hands on a good read.

The protagonist of the novel is the author herself (so whether I write author or protagonist, they mean the same) her family comprising of - the man of the house, the prodigal son and the baby, her ever so “antique” mother, her lovable yet hateful mother-in-law, her german shepherds and yes, her very own hand-me-down desi Jeeves. There is no story as such, but a compilation of incidences from the protagonist’s life which forms the entire plot - serious and hilarious, churned into one and served on a platter of laughter. The author’s sense of humor, her ability to look into the brighter side of things, her patience and the belief that a family stays together despite their differences, is beautifully portrayed. Giving goals to hundreds of She's - “Just like you and a lot like me”, this protagonist has forayed straight into her fans’ hearts.
Though this the author’s debut novel, I happened to read it after I read her second one (the review for which you can read under the corresponding title) and boy, it is a masterpiece! Written in a diary style, providing anecdotes of the author’s life, the division of the chapters is literally done alphabetically, giving the readers an A to Z window into the life of the protagonist. The more I delved into the book, the more I realized how very similar these celebrities are to us (considering that all of what is written in the book is not fictionalized) - a husband who works and works and is found only at the times when you need to be left alone, or making plans suddenly that takes the complete household off tracks; a son who starts taking on his father from a young age, an outlook towards women and yes, falling in love; a baby who seems to have born with karate limbs, and will definitely do what she shouldn’t at the wrong time; a mother who tries to involve herself too much into your home - decorating it with various eccentric and antique pieces is her pass time; a mother-in-law who gets upset if there are only 4 dishes on the dinner table, and who feeds her like she is feeding the entire Punjab and never wants her to fit into her pre-baby jeans again; and last, but not the least, a house help, who has been handed down from God knows where, and is the closest sibling of Mr. Bean.
The purpose of this book is simple - Life is what you make of it, if it gives a lemon, gulp a tequila and suck on it.
Recommended for all those women, who think they could have been better off, had they been someone else, and to those, who think women at home do nothing.
on 3 August 2017
I finished this book in four hours. No water break, no loo break, just four hours of reading and I was done. That could be because the Mrs Funnybones is a quick read and also because I had read most of the columns in a newspaper before. I used to love Twinkle Khanna’s column in DNA. She is witty, amusing and unabashed. She does not mince her words for anybody and her brutal honesty can prick a little. However, her sense of humour is unmatched and I read the book only to jostle my funny bone on a rather dull day.

Mrs Funnybones by Twinkle Khanna

Synopsis: Mrs Funnybones is a compilation of satirical stories written by Twinkle Khanna for various newspapers. The book captures some hilarious incidences in her daily life and her amusing take on each of them.

Points I Liked About Mrs Funny Bones
Humour: The author has an opinion about everything and she presents most of her thoughts in a humorous way. Some of her words did seem a little offensive but then I accepted it as her opinion and not as the ultimate truth so I enjoyed the book even more. The author belongs to a wealthy family which is why her problems and solutions may not appeal to the common folk reading the book. In fact, most of the content might not even be relatable but it is a glimpse into her real (privileged) life and for me it was just a different angle to look at life. My favourite chapter is Hurricanes hit my household in which she talks about her staff member who is an oblivious menace to her. I had read this column in DNA and was happy to read it again in the book. This chapter is a MUST read.
Here are some funny excerpts from Mrs Funnybones
“Don't look down on people because they can see the crap stuck up your nostril.”
“Naming me Twinkle was a foolproof way of making sure that I would get teased throughout my life, have immigration officers at various airports stare at my passport and shake with hysterical laughter and strangers stalk me with WhatsApp messages like, ‘Twinkle, Twinkle, little star, I hope you get hit by a car!’”
“The man of the house has very politely informed guests who have come to see the baby that I am unavailable, as I am ‘milking’, and thereby sealed my status from cool chick to mooing cow.”
“Our little satellite reached Mars because it was called MOM. If it was called DAD, it would still be circling the Earth, lost, but not willing to ask for directions.”
“We may have potholed roads but at least we have many people willing to travel with us on them.”
“After fourteen years of matrimony, I have discovered that hoping your other half telepathically reads your mind only leads to someone wanting to punch the other one in the face.”

Points I Did Not Like About Mrs Funny Bones
This one is a very short read and the author has made a jibe at herself, her husband and even her mother. So, basically, no one is spared of witty remarks. I may not agree with all her opinions but I enjoyed every single page of this book. No complaints here.

Final View: Four hours is the fastest I have ever finished a book. Mrs Funnybones is really ‘funny’ and entertaining. I would recommend this book to everyone who respects others opinions and is looking for a light read.

Originally posted on Alphagirl.in.
review image
on 14 November 2017
Recently ordered this book and read it the very same day in under 2 hours! It kept me on the hook. I could not keep it down before finishing it.
I liked the following things about the book:
- 233 pages of sheer wit!
- The distribution of chapters alphabetically with a one liner intro
- The general approach to each and everyone who wishes to pick it up
- Basic struggles actors go through in daily life (not exagerated), relatable to all
- To the point
- Funny and sarcastic, but not overdone
- Overall representation of the text, with small doodles here and there
- SINGLE read book! I loved how I finished it in a go.
- To make the above more satisfactory, very pocket friendly (Thanks to amazon)

Many people might not like this book because they are expecting way too much from the story. I would suggest to just read it one page at a time with absolutely no preconceptions. You'll like it.
Lastly thanks to Amazon for the timely delivery.
I recommend.
on 30 March 2017
After reading this book, I believe that one should realize and ad measure small things in life to maintain a healthy balance for a peaceful, fulfilling and a happy lifestyle! Mrs funny bones has a lot of thoughts some said and some unsaid but she definitely developed a healthy perspective towards both positive and negative aspects of her life, which makes her a cool mom, beloved wife and a compassionate human being.
on 16 October 2016
as u uncover evry page u realize how u may hv also gone thru almost all her situations and yet failed to draw d so obvious irony as well as humour behind each.. as u read tis buk.. u learn to look at life a diffrnt way.. her way.. d 'should'way ... hilarious intresting and apt.. she gives words to ur thots..
on 29 December 2017
The book moves in a beautiful pace that keeps us laughing mostly and makes us ponder sometimes. The innovative way of penning down things never lets the reader feel bored with any bit. The book also teaches the reader to look at incidents of life and also life as a whole in a humorous and enjoyable way. The modern Indian reader, even the guys, can relate to a lot of moments in the book.
on 25 July 2017
This is a novel that you pick up for some light reading. There is nothing great about this book but it is humorous and you can finish reading it in a day.
on 12 August 2017
Amazing book! I would highly recommend it to anyone who has been out of touch with reading and wants to get back in the rhythm! Every chapter of this book was so comical and so very well written. Comic timing was perfect. I was in splits throughout the book. I will read it again and again. Looking forward to more such books like this one!
on 24 February 2016
thanks twinkle for such a witty, forthright , 'dil se ' ..sarcastic book .... It gives us so much insight into how things are almost like us commoners in Bollywood Stars houses too !! You have a great comedy sense and my young daughter has suggested that a comedy serial of the book would become as famous as Friends or Big Bang theory ....you must think about it ..

By the way ...we love Akshay Kumar ...the whole family is a great fan of his ...we see his movies multiple times...good to see he is blessed with such a cute family !!!

Best of luck .....god bless .(I do believe in God) ......and keep writing .....
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 August 2017
It was marvellous from start to finish. U just wished that it will never end. Its great to read from some one her aura has put such simple words in day todays schedule of normal women life and make something most unconventional and unique way of telling it to us. I loved her humour as always.. great going mrs. Funny bones.. keep them coming up...