auto-hp family

on 17 June 2017
Story has a great flow, once u start it, it's difficult to stop. The schadenfreude from this book is one of its kind. A must read for people starting their very first jobs.
on 23 October 2017
Amazing satire on the profession of management consulting with genuine humor. Quite an easy on the mind quickly readable book.
on 23 June 2015
The book was supposed to be funny, but it compelled me to stop writing any more diary entries. Come on! diary entries can be funny too. But author's attempt of making a story or rather I should say diary entries funny, failed miserably.The book won't add anything to your existing list of books.
on 24 October 2014
This is as funny as it gets. Period.
on 17 August 2017
I bought Dork because it was a peek into an IIM’s life at a consultancy firm. With newspapers going gaga over the pay package of IIM’s I was a little curious to know what kind of a job do IIM’s actually do. Dork not only gave me a glimpse of an IIM’s work environment but also at how IIM’s must be thinking after graduating from highly esteemed universities.

Dork: The Incredible Adventures of Robin ‘Einstein’ Varghese by Sidin Vadukut

Points I Liked About Dork

I tried. I tried my best to come up with at least one point that was good about the book but I couldn’t. It was a real struggle to finish this one. I am probably not the writer’s target audience. So, this book is not really for me. I finished it only because I paid for it.

Points I Did Not Like About Dork

Narration: Though Vadukut’s writing was much better than a lot of writers on the Indian turf, the narration of the story seemed abrupt and disjointed. I am not sure if this is how men write in their diaries. Vadukut gave a decent description of what transpired during the day for Robin but despite that, I felt that the ‘diary entry’ concept did not work well for this book. At least not for me. The book would have been much better had it been just a first person narration instead of a diary entry.

Occasional Laughs: My brother read this book before me and highly recommended it saying that it was hilarious. As I started reading the book, I was waiting to laugh my guts out but sadly that didn’t happen. No doubt, Robin Varghese leads an interesting life and some of his encounters are funny but not rib-tickling amusing. It takes more than just drunken blunders to make me laugh.

Final View: The book is purely for management students who can relate to the writer’s experiences at a work place. I could not relate to the writer and so I did not enjoy this book. Not my kinda book.

Originally posted on Alphagirl.in.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 January 2015
College humor by our bright young Indians educated at the IITs and IIMs comes out often. They get reviewed well by an indulgent press and after sometime they fade out. This genre has been done to death in India. Office Humor is missing in India however. We still have to fall back on Dilbert for it. Some ...of us would have read Sidin Vadukut's columns in MINT (Cubiclenama). Never knew that he also writes. With a pedigreed educational background ( NIT+IIM A) and a stint in AT Kearney, he seems to be following what most of us wanted to do but never did. Pursue his passion full time. In his case, it is writing. He is an avid blogger, journalist, columnist and also a prolific author.
This is the first book I have read and will read his other two books also by the end of this year. This book is his hilarious take on the inside world of management consulting and the shehnanigans there. With his experience in AT Kearney, I have a feeling that it is his experience that he has written about and also from stories he would have picked up from his friends in BCG/McKinsey etc., I have been dealing with the consultants from the Big firms ( often reluctantly as the company engages them to do wonders) pretty regularly and would agree fully with the capers in this book.
I have a feeling that humor is the most difficult genre to write.The risk of going over the top / cheesy / sexist /stale / corny is very high. You need that delicate balance to be funny and not be offensive or cheap. Sidin Vadukut comes out on top.
The books are inexpensive on FLIPKART. The size is compact ( around 200 pages). The writing is racy. Tickles your funny bone on every page...so what are you waiting for ? Go buy it and enjoy yourself.
Welcome Mr Vadukut...keep writing/blogging regularly. In the depressing world that we live in ( can't read ET / Can't watch News / Can't read India Today because they are all filled with rape/molestation/murder/corruption and a sub 5% growth rate), you are the only bright spot and make life look sunny.
on 23 December 2014
This is amazing. For starters reminded some of the days post placement and initial days at job. Thoroughly well written and particularly those few comic episodes...
on 17 June 2015
In April 2006 Dork, a stupendously naive but academically gifted young man graduates from one of India's best business schools with a Day-zero job at the Mumbai office of Dufresne Partners, a mediocre mid-market management consulting firm largely run by complete morons. Through a stunning series of blunders, mishaps and inadvertent errors, Robin begins to make his superiors rue the day there were driven by depression into hiring him. He also realizes that the one-sided relationship with B-school batchmate Gouri Kalbag might be over before it even started. Will he manage to achieve his short-term goal of being promoted to associate in under a year? will love conquer all?

Let me warn you that it is a polarizing book. You will either love it or hate it. For starters, it has the exact problem as Amit Varma's My friend Sancho. Lot of witty, sarcastic and funny moments in the narrative but hardly any concrete storyline. Set up in the backdrop of management consulting, it traces the first year at work for Robin who has passed MBA from a premiere institute in India in 2006. Written in the form of diary entries, it traces the funny and not-so-funny experiences in his life at Dufresne Partners.

And since no Indian debut novel can be complete without a love story thrown in, we have an almost invisible love track of Gouri, which i am quite sure, was added as an after thought in the book. In fact, you can take out her track completely from the main story and will realise that nothing will happen to Robin's ultimate goal of becoming an associate in one year. Most of the characters except Robin are poorly developed and have very little to show in terms of growth or transition. They move in and out of the narrative at their own whims and fancies, have very little to contribute to the main plot and none of them are particularly relatable. I agree that it is not a book about perfect relationships, in fact most of them here are quite superficial but they should have been given far more space to create any kind of impact.The ending is abrupt and disappointing but considering that 2 more books are coming up in this series, this may not turn out to be a farce.

The only saving grace is the titular character of Robin. There is a heavy dose of gaalis and gags in his (mis)adventures at the workplace and there are some real funny digs taken at the management consulting companies. His goofiness and comical situation with fellow colleagues will keep you in spits all throughout the book. His observations about the dressing sense of employees, work ethics (or the lack of it) of his peers, usage of internet and social networking websites to implement work assignments; all this has an endearing quality. One major roadblock is the over usage of MBA jargons which some people will find too contextual and hence, it provides a risk of alienating them with the jokes.

And therein lies the truth somewhere, that this is not so much a book as it is an interesting concept of strapping in all the diary entries. To be made into a proper book, it required a far more credible screenplay and properly developed supporting characters. It is only with the extra-ordinary humorous take on the corporate life, this book hooks you till the end. It is a racy, funny ride which you won't mind taking on but will ultimately leave you with a sore bum.

I am going with generous 3/5 for Sidin Vadukut's first volume of the Dork trilogy, The incredible adventures of Robin 'Einstein' Varghese. If you are one of those type of readers who don't care much about the lack of a storyline and just want to have FUN, you will surely enjoy this one. For my types, who needs logic and a concrete screenplay, it will leave you with bit of a disappointment. Till the next Robin adventure happens, I better stick to Domain Maximus blog.

Read more reviews at http://loveisalwaysnew.blogspot.in/
on 12 May 2017
Either you love it or you hate it. I belong to the latter category. I did not expect such a lazy storyline from a well known editor. There can be stupid people like the protagonist in this story in real life but the way the story depicted him was impossible to digest. I wish I could unread this book.
on 18 July 2013
As a recent graduate from a business school, I could absolutely relate to this book. Brilliantly written. It's witty to the core. A must read for b-school graduates, at least.