Top critical review
Not a light read
10 January 2019
I would like to begin by saying that delivery and product quality for good.
About the book,
1)Don’t expect to go through this book as a pleasure read, especially for those who have no idea about indian history, culture and polity.
2)The book is not linear. this is not to be taken as a criticism. This book is rather a group of essays, and one should not expect much continuity when finishing one essay and moving on to the other.
3) If one is expecting insights on our cultural history, ncert is a better read.
4) somewhat liberal-leftist, seeks an ideal which is like a secular, socialist eutopia. This is good but does not take into account why social structures emerge and certain dynamics which can’t be changed.
5) its a heavy book, by which i mean the language used is such that one cannot go through it lightly for it to make sense.
6) personally i was expecting more on our history and culture but found a mixed bag of out of context, irrelevantly used mumbo jumbo of history, post- indepence political developments, religious references along with quote-unquote phrases by some western folks.
7) certain content is insightful but time-return benefit is not that much.
In conclusion, read it when you have literally nothing better to do.