auto-hp family

on 24 May 2017
I flew though it. It's a short essay with some fantastic points. It has some compelling and deeply personal experience of the author and her friends, experiences we are so likely to face in our day to day life. We live in a modern society and yet have dos and don't based on the gender, we are mostly likely to accept them and ignore the reason.
I particularly like the way she draws attention to a particular topic and sticks to it and does not want it to be generalised, like how she wants to be known as feminist and not human rights activist.
There is also a mention about how we should raise our kids for a better future.
I don't normally read book about serious issues. But this one was beautifully written. Not for a moment did I feel like putting it down. I hope to read all her books now.
Also, it's such a small tiny book. I was awestruck when I received it. Never knew a book could be this small and effective.
on 18 February 2018
I didn't want to start by saying this but I am so compelled to say that this is the worst return of my Rs 225 from these trivial 48 pages.

The book doesn't contain any compelling argument on why we should all be feminist. The book is merely a collection of author's experiences and of some around her. Then at the end one page of the request rather than insistence on being a feminist. I don't see the purpose of this book.

If you are trying to make people aware of inequality well the number is proliferating already. People who are against such ideas will keep the continuity alive because of their belief system. I can't fathom one plausible way where this book could ameliorate the situation. It is more like someone saying "Well, I (and many like me) was always treated incomparably so we all should stand up and march towards equality". As effective that sentence is, the book doesn't take it any further.

I don't see one reason why people should read this when there are much better and thought-provoking ubiquitous articles, reports, news etc.

The two stars are for the effort of the author, well she did make an effort.
on 5 November 2016
Amazing!!This little book is absolutely amazing..Lucid writings and great story tellling. And you can also shove up this thing in the asses of male chauvinists out there.

But,
you can also watch it online on YouTube on TedTalks. I wanted the hard copy and to keep with me forever that's why I bought it.
on 4 January 2018
i absolutely adore this .
this book is virtually flawless - tackles arguments with ease and shows what it really means to be a feminist , clears up any misconceptions and stereotypes there are associated with feminism and proves to be a great read .

only complaint , it is insanely short and therefore kind of overpriced . but still , you should buy it .
on 29 January 2018
I bought this book after I heard the author's TED talk . While the context is about the concerns that even educated women face in Ethiopian social fabric , the larger points that she raises are applicable to the social constructs all over the world . The writing comes from clear thought , deep observation and conviction . Every adult ought to read and reflect .
on 5 July 2017
Chimamanda has striked it exactly right..we need to inculcate respect just like the habit of eating.. it's not goin to change unless we treat this as a serious issue. Sad part of women themselves demean their state, knowingly or unknowingly.. but they do!!
This should be a mandate for every being.. I hope to see the world where I am a human before I am a woman..
on 11 March 2016
It covers the basics, and in a way that's not heavy on the theory but get's the point across. However, I was disappointed by the volume. It certainly isn't worth paying that much for a tiny book that's basically a summary of her TED talk that you can watch online for free.
on 29 October 2016
This book is the author's take on feminism, how she sees it and the present, as it is. It is written in a lucid style, with innumerable examples one can connect to, no matter where they're from. Thank you Chimamanda Ngozu Adichue :)
on 25 June 2016
"We should raise our daughters differently and we should raise our sons differently"

A clear imagination for a perfect future by Adichie :)
on 14 August 2017
This isn't a novel. Just her thoughts on feminism. But a good one to read especially if you don't know what feminism stands for!