Top critical review
It's a great printer...but its ink will burn holes in your pocket!
24 February 2019
I purchased this printer a few months ago and have used it for several printouts till now. I had to b really thoughtful about its feedback , simply because buying printers online is quite a challenging decision especially the notorious reviews posted by many. At the end you trust your gut and make a decision. For most of the time people desire everything for the lowest price possible however please bear in mind quality demands research and money! So this is what i feel about the printer -
1. It looks great. Infact it looks pretty classy.
2. I love the print quality. It does so much justice for the image you want to print.
3. I don't quite remember how much I paid for the printer but looking at the image print output I am very satisfied.
4. I printed a lot of sheets. Like, i totally went crazy with my print out. I was working on a vision board project (more like a vision wall) and I required quite a bit of printouts. I hate going to the printer shops with the images I want to print as I have privacy issues. But so happy this printer did not even fuss once and facilitated smooth and steady printouts.
5. The installation was a cakewalk. It is compatible with my iPhone and Mac. Easy peasy. I love user friendly technology.
6. I have always inserted one sheet at a time. Why? because i find that arrangement quite hassle free and convenient.
7. A couple of times the paper got jammed. #commonprinterproblems. I did not feel that I should mind that. Given the convenience of home printing. Everything is better at home.
8. I took prints on regular sheets as well as glossy sheets. I would tell you that , sheet hardly made a difference. In future i'd use a regular sheet. Not a glossy one. I just tried glossy because may be I expected 'photo print quality'. While the print quality was great, the final print washed out the glossy effect. So it is redundant.
9. The printer uses the 803 ink cartridge and that is where the catch is.
10. 803 print cartridges clearly read that they are disposable and meant for single use only.
11. The original cartridge exhausted quite early. I am able to say this as I later ordered the refill ink and refilled my cartridge and I was able to get more prints this time. (It might be because with the original cartridge I printed glossy papers and may be they consume more ink. MAY BE. I'm just guessing.)
12. I watched a couple of Youtube videos and learnt how to refill the cartridge. I followed instructions and Viola! my printer started to shoot prints again.
13. Now , when you refill the original cartridge the printer's ink indicator does not read it. Which you'll learn to adapt because it moments your printer will be shooting pages after pages.
14. SO after several and many prints It was time to refill the cartridge. and Guess what...It did not work. I tried everything. The prints turned out horrible. The ink was spilling all over. Even inside the printer and that made me very sad. Nobody likes a tardy looking gadget!
15. My conclusion is that HP is right. 803 does not allow a refill. Even though the ink sellers claim and list that it does...It does not.
16. The first refill was may be a lucky shot. It worked. I was very happy. The second refill was a complete fiasco.
17. Eventually I discarded the cartridges.
18. I logged in to Amazon and wanted to place order for fresh cartridges and guess what. Out of all the HP models 803 has the most expensive cartridge. That made me very thoughtful and cautious.
19. Unless HP does something about the price of the Ink cartridges, the ink will blot your enthusiasm.
My verdict - It is a great printer. I love it. Love the print quality. But 803 is the most ink cartridge. May be i'll try the refills again when my next cartridge arrive and update my review just in case i am successful beyond the first refill attempt.
I am not complaining because ultimately I have to take everything into consideration. But going to the printer shop is a BIG NO for me.
Review Update 7th March- I realized the cartridge purchased from Amazon I.e 803 for this printer is not compatible. My printer didn’t read the color cartridge. It was an old generation piece and the black ink cartridge leaked during printing. It basically suggests that the cartridges are either refilled or not genuine. I later purchased them from HP website. Even though expensive I was content about the fact that they are genuine and have same business day delivery. I love the Amazon returns policy. They accepted the opened cartridge and refunded quite promptly.