Top positive review
Best in Class Body Groomer | REVIEW | GUIDE | TIPS | 5 Years Warranty (Not 3 years)
2 February 2019
I was looking for good trimmer kit for full body grooming. Had Philips, Panasonic, Nova brand models in list. Brand was sorted out to Philips owing to trust & its quality consistency over the years.
After brand finalization was stuck in models. Philips 3000 & 7000 series. Philips Norleco was already side-lined during initial selection as its specific to USA & has its own issues. (More below)
Finally settled for 7000 series, MG7715 but its availability was an issue. Was not in stock. But soon came in stock that too during sale. So was instantly ordered from cloudtail seller (I prefer this one whenever possible, owing to good history with my purchases)
INSIDE BOX (15 items)
1. Trimmer Body x1
2. Primary Metal Trimmer x1 (comes attached to trimmer)
3. Detail Metal Trimmer x1
4. Nose & Ear Trimmer x1
5. Body Shaver plus Skin Protector x1
6. Body Comb x2 (3mm, 5mm, dark green colour)
7. Stubble Comb x2 (1mm, 2mm, light grey colour)
8. Adjustable Beard Comb x1 (3-7mm, dark grey colour)
9. Hair Comb x3 (9mm, 12mm, 16mm)
10. Charger x1
11. Cleaning brush x1
1. Good quality trimmer with premium silver looks. Black one looks cheap. Some metal touch would have been a nice add on.
2. Ergonomic design with well positioned button, perfect rubberised front grip & contours on plastic back side for same.
3. Water proof design which can be used in shower & cleaned under running water (charger is not water proof)
4. Light weight & easy to handle for long trimming sessions.
5. Blades are quite sharp & you won’t feel it working. Soon after you see a mess of hairs on floor which confirms its hard work.
6. Motor is almost silent & trimming process makes less noise. You can easily distinguish b/w sound of dry run & hair trimming.
7. Skin friendly design only if you do not cut purposely. Close trimming is meant for smooth skin profile. If used on skin with pimples, white heads or curves etc you are bound to have cut marks.
8. It’s an all-round trimmer. Works properly from head to toe.
9. Quite good battery backup of 2 hours+ on full charge.
10. Less charging time of only 1 hour. 5 min’s of quick charge is sufficient for one trim job.
11. Led indicator for charging, low battery, full charge etc
12. Blades of metal trimmer are rust free & self-sharpening. Design is such that blades rub against each other sharpening themselves. Even if not, there is full 5 years warranty to take care of it.
13. Interchangeability is a breeze. Removing & attaching blades or combs is easy, snap on type & does not require any tool. By design it won’t wear much as there are metal clips for attachments fixing.
1. No carry pouch or travel bag for such a premium product & price tag.
2. Proprietary charger means you are dependent on it. Losing it is not an option. Though backup is good, so in small journeys it can be avoided.
3. Lots of hair get inside and are stuck in inner mechanisms of metal trimmer & rotor area.
4. Can’t be used with adapter supply. Only cordless use is supported. Though that is being done to make it shower proof & avoid accidents due to usage under shower with adapter connected.
▶ Amber/Orange (Blinking) - Low battery
▶ White (Blinking) - Charging
▶ White (Continuous) - Battery fully charged
After approx. 30 min of full charge, led switches off automatically
WARRANTY OF 5 YEARS, NOT 3 YEARS
Box claims 5 years worldwide guarantee while one leaflet inside box suggests to register on website to extend guarantee for free.
But upon registering everyone’s surprised, when it says default warranty of 2 years extended to 3 years.
I got in touch with Philips India to get clarification on same. They cleared the confusion.
Product is having 5 years warranty applicable word wide, which can be claimed against bill/invoice & has nothing to do with warranty shown upon registration of product on Philips website.
(Screenshot of mail attached)
PRODUCT GENUINITY, MRP & IMPORT DATE
▶ Product is genuine & I was able to successfully register it on Philips website.
▶ MRP mentioned on products main sticker is Rs 4495. But there is another sticker with revised MRP of Rs 4144 owing to GST rate revision (photo attached).
▶ Product import date is 09/2018 & it’s made in Indonesia (photo attached).
DAMAGED BOX & IN BOX CONTENTS
Several users had issues with missing attachments or damaged box. Mine was all ok (photos attached).
▶Box was perfectly sealed & intact without any openings on any side.
▶All attachments come in open poly packets, so may come out during shipping
▶No accessory or attachment was missing (check your package with in box contents mentioned in start of review)
In case of any issues, ask amazon for replacement as they will be happy to provide one. If again you have same issue, ask for another replacement. If issue is not resolved after 2/3 replacements they extend their support by providing full refund after examining scenario.
USAGE TIPS & GUIDES
It’s an all-round trimmer. Works properly from head to toe, be it head hair styling, beard trimming, & styling, nose trimming, removing body hairs etc. Just everything is covered.
All of the above need some practice & multiple rounds for perfect trimming.
Suit yourself with direction of usage, as it works in every way, perpendicular, along blade, etc
Not tried it to cover all of pubic zone. It’s slightly complicated there. Any product may not be capable of managing it completely and you know why.
▶ Default metal trimmer can be used for normal close trim beard, hairs etc in range of 0.5mm. Repeat for finishing touch.
▶ Precision metal trimmer can be used to precisely shape fine lines, contours & details.
▶ Nose trimmer can be used to trim nose or ear hairs. Repeat operation to get proper trim.
▶ Body shaver can be used to closely & finely shave body hairs. It comes with skin guard for protection. Repeat operation to get rid of left of hairs. If used properly it gives close to waxing finish.
▶ Hair comb attachment can be used to cut hairs in sizes 9mm, 12mm & 16mm. Styling can be done using other combs & directly with metal trimmer blade.
▶ Beard comb attachment can be used to style beard in range of 1-7mm
▶ Theres body comb to trim hairs on body to 3/5 mm sizes
◘ MANGING DEVICE
▶ Closest trim 0.5mm
▶ Can be used only without cord i.e. cord less operation
▶ Push button to switch it on or off
▶ To remove metal trimmer push upwards against the teeth of metal trimmer & gently pull it out.
▶ To remove nose trimmer or body shaver, place finger on the arrow at the back of the attachment and push it off the handle in the direction of the arrow.
▶ To attach above elements, insert the lug of the attachment into the guiding slot at the front and push the back of the attachment onto the device (a click sound is produced).
▶ To remove comb from metal trimmer, pull its back part off the device and then slide it off the metal trimmer.
▶ To attach comb on to metal trimmer, slide the front part of the comb onto the teeth of the metal trimmer. Then push down the centre of the comb with fingers or the palm of hand (a click sound is produced).
(Photos attached for above steps)
◘ MINI USER MANUAL (inside box): Mini visual user guide is available inside package visually indicating metal trimmer & add on attachment or removal, on off operation, washing instructions etc.
◘ DETAILED MANUAL (online): There is full detailed manual on Philips website under product support section (with file name mg7715_15_dfu_eng). (Important screenshots attached)
PHILIPS NORLECO VS 3000 SERIES VS 7000 SERIES
▶ Philips Norleco is an American brand. Some sellers import it & sell it here. But that does not change the fact it’s made for that country. Comes with its own issues like power socket compatibility for USA pin charger. You need travel adapter for that else it’s useless. That’s another expense.
▶ Philips 3000 series MG3730/15 model
1. It comes with metal trimmer, nose trimmer & 6 combs.
2. Charging time is 16 hours for just 1 hour backup
3. Approx. Rs 1500 cheaper compared to MG7715/15
▶ Philips 7000 series MG7715/15 model
1. It comes with metal trimmer, detail metal trimmer, nose trimmer, body shaver & 8 combs.
2. Charging time is 1 hour for 2 hours backup
3. Approx. Rs 1500 costly compared to MG3730/15
▶ If you want an all-round good quality body grooming kit, get it without any second thought. Philips is known for its quality & never lets us down.
▶ If slightly tighter on budget, get MG3730/15 model as it partially serves body grooming purpose. But comes at a huge cost of charging vs backup duration i.e. 16 hours charge for just 1 hour backup.
▶ I won’t recommend Philips Norleco owing to issues stated above. Why purchase something which is not made for India & spend more bucks to make it compatible. You end up paying a price for which you can get 7000 series model on offer.