Top positive review
Bang for buck (@8400/-)
29 November 2015
Buy this product, if and only if :-
1. You have multiple devices which are always connected to the network
2. If you have a tablet, especially iPad; as watching movies in iPad is pain due to the way movie is copied to it via iTunes and all, and more over if your iPad is of 16 Gb, which leaves it with less space.
3. Want to buy a 2+TB hard drive for more space, a 3TB portable one costs around 8k, I got this for 8400/- (For this price go for it)
As nobody will buy a 3TB Hard Drive for portability, if you are looking for one, then you would already have a 1TB portable hard drive.
4. If you watch movies, photos/media on your smart TV quiet frequently.
5. As all the movies/media downloaded can be configured to save directly to this, and the same movie/media can be watched in all the devices.
Not to buy if:-
1. You are only looking for a cloud storage like google drive, drop box etc as they will provide more than 3 TB of cloud storage for much lesser price
2. If you want portability
1. It comes with 2.9 TB of free space, unlike other hard drives which comes with less usable space
2. Watching movies is a joy if you are in local network, can watch in all devices, as iPad only supports mp4 ,.mp* formats, you can download VLC and connect your hard drive to watch movies in any format, with out loosing your iPad storage and no transfer problem
3. In my home, my brother downloads few movies in his machine, I few and sometimes we end up downloading same. So since all downloads are over in one place, its like a shared central pool
1. It has only one partition (physical partition) so if something goes wrong, all data might get jeopardized.
2. You should not just unplug the power cord, you have to shut it down via the URL, but it takes ages to start when u need it and it gets unmounted when u mapped to your network drive (as IP address change, yet to try with static ip, but not recommended).
3. You get some 3rd party power adapter.
4. Data transfer is slow via wi fi 2-3 mbps, via lan/etherned 8-10 mbps if you are having a normal router, need to upgrade to gigabit router and a gigabit port (additional cost) for good speeds.
5. Sometimes the network connection is disconnected while transferring huge data in one shot.
6. Internal disk rotation sound can be heard.
7. URL client is buggy as it always shows 2.9 TB free, despite filling it with data. (not a deal breaker)
8. The more data you load on to this drive, the more time it takes to initialize the drive, as good as 5-7 mins in order to access the drive once you boot it for 2 TB of data.
If you are getting it for <9000/-, then definitely go for it. But not worth the 12500/-
If you want to access all data everywhere