27 December 2018
This book is an experience. When I read the very first chapter, I could not sleep for hours, debated with my husband, and finally posted a long rant about how Girls are made to stay invisible. They are smothered in the name of safety. They are diminished and forgotten.

I took my own time to read through this book, finishing each chapter and then taking time to reflect and discuss with friends if they related to what was mentioned in the book. I personally related to not all, but most of it. If not me, if I am lucky enough to have parents and parents in law who support me at every step of the way, I could see the writing reflected in lives of my mother and other elder women relatives.

It does get confusing at times. Lines to distinguish respect and fear are diminished and I was unsure of where to place myself on this division line. There are stories in there which make you furious enough to take action and stories which make you proud and believe in yourself.

The best thing I liked about this book though, is that it brings issues of women empowerment from lower middle class to upper and upper middle class, to women who are working and yet live a dual life, to the next generation which is screaming to be let free.

I recommend this read to each and every one of us irrespective of gender or age or profession.
I had an eye-opening time reading it 💖
4 people found this helpful