TOP 500 REVIEWER
7 June 2019
It is a known fact that many people are disappointed with OnePlus 7 Pro's pricing, size, thickness, bulkiness, bugs like phantom touches, etc. At least me, being a OnePlus fan from past so many years, was very much disappointed with OnePlus 7 Pro, in every aspect.

But however, this OnePlus 7 completely restores back the lost glories of the OnePlus history. This is my opinion. Now let us dive into the Pros & Cons of this amazing device, OnePlus 7:

Pros:

1) Display: I use both Samsung and OnePlus devices. The reason is: I love Samsung's vibrant AMOLED displays and OnePlus device's fantastic, butter-smooth, fastest Oxygen UI. So I always desired both on one phone (display and fastest Oxygen UI). And at last, OnePlus 7 fulfilled my desire. OnePlus 7 has a fantastic UI (Oxygen OS) + display like Samsung devices (like S10+). But note that this will NOT BE BY DEFAULT. By default on this OnePlus 7, the display is not great like Samsung AMOLED displays. To achieve Samsung S10+ display on this OnePlus 7 device, you have to do this: go to Settings --> Display --> Screen Calibration --> Advanced and select AMOLED Wide Gamut. Then see the magic. It matches exactly with Samsung S10+. This option is NOT there on previous OnePlus devices (not there even on 6T). So OP7 gets 5 stars for the display.

2) Processor: This device hosts the world's fastest processor - Snapdragon 855 chipset processor. So everything is butter-smooth. Nothing more to comment. So OP7 gets 5 stars for its powerful processor.

3) UI: There is no smartphone user interface as simple and as powerful as on OnePlus devices. So OP7 too gets 5 stars for its Oxygen UI.

4) Camera: I am very much astonished to see the powerful 48 MP camera on this OnePlus 7 device. I have attached a few pictures. Please have a look.

5) Battery: Though battery backup will be great on all OnePlus devices, on this particular model I felt battery backup little more powerful compared to older devices. I think this is due to the latest Oxygen version, which has been fine-tuned still more for battery efficiency.

6) Storage: Whenever I buy the smartphones, I transfer my huge number of Lord Krishna's bhajans, wallpapers, videos, etc. So since this time I had opted for 256 GB, I was not selective while copying the files. I just copied all my 177 GB data to my new OnePlus 7. And believe it or not, everything just copied by the time I finished my short snacks break. Thanks to UFS 3.0 storage method. So OP7 gets 5 stars for storage too.

7) Sound: Except on OnePlus 6, most of the OnePlus users enjoyed the LOUD sound. But on this OnePlus 7 device, along with the loudness, there is Dolby Atmos 360 degree revolving sound effect, which cannot be revealed in this writing, but only by hearing. So really excellent work they have done on this OnePlus 7 device in speakers segment too. So OnePlus 7 gets 5 stars in this sound segment too.

8) RAM: RAM management is always good on OnePlus devices and one need not worry how the Oxygen OS handles the RAM. And even base variant comes in 6 GB this time also. In addition, we have RAM Boost feature also this time on OnePlus 7 series. So OnePlus 7 gets 5 stars for its fantastic low-power consuming RAM.

9) Case: The provided TPU case is very nice and looks like it gives strong protection. 5 stars.

10) Dash Charger: The master technology which is there from past so many years, continues to be still the world's best technology (excluding Warp charger from the game). 5 stars.

11) Alert Slider: Alert slider is very, very smooth in this new 7 series. Really you love to slide simply. 5 stars.

12) Fingerprint sensor: I can say that this is the world's first successful fastest in-display fingerprint scanner. However, I always prefer dedicated hardware fingerprint scanner. Just see OnePlus 6! Even today it is awesome. Anyways. 5 stars.

13) Brightness: OnePlus has learned a lesson from its previous failures due to very, very low brightness levels on the screen. Earlier one has to keep brightness level at 80% for normal view. Many customers sold off their devices due to this mistake alone (I have seen in their forums). But fortunately, on this 7 series, the brightness level is good. One has to just keep at 30% to 40% for a good view.

14) Vibration Motor: If you all remember, many users suffered from the worst quality vibration motors on a few previous devices, by hearing an abnormal rattling sound. But this time, as they promised, 200% strong we can feel. There is no rattling sound even when it was tested on the highest intensity.

Cons:

This I want to be seen by OnePlus.

1) Build Quality: People love even today the classic designs & metal bodies of previous OnePlus devices like 3, 3T, 5, 5T, etc. But this OnePlus 7 looks like plastic back (you can tap and test), although they call a glass body. I don't know what is the use of providing shiny glass bodies when, after all, it doesn't support wireless charging. They should have gone for the metal body, or at least, matte finished glasses like OnePlus 6 Silk White or Matte Black. It doesn't look anymore premium. Forget premium, it doesn't look good at all.

2) Color Options: As said above, already the device is too shiny and fingerprint magnet. Along with that, the worst color options we have. I really don't know how many people like the Red color. Though colors are subjective, I don't think at least Red color is for professionals. And only one left option, shiny Mirror Grey. This too not for professionals. Really disappointing by seeing the color options we have. Why not give White & Gold options? OnePlus, it doesn't cost you extra.

3) Size, weight, and thickness: I don't know why OnePlus is increasing dimensions, weight, and thickness of the device while Samsung is maintaining all these three in all the segments (budget to premium).
Oneplus 5: 7.3 mm & 153 grams
OnePlus 5T: 7.3 mm & 162 grams
OnePlus 6: 7.8 mm & 177 grams
OnePlus 6T: 8.2 mm & 185 grams.
And OnePlus 7: 8.2 mm & 182 grams + noticeably a huge ugly camera bump. One may argue that battery capacity is being increased. But just see Samsung. Let us consider even S10+. It is just 7.8 mm and 175 grams with 4000 mAH battery (whereas OP's max. is 3700 mAH battery). I am NOT satisfied with this.

I think OnePlus should implement Samsung's wonderful thought of introducing small (S10e), medium (S10) & big (S10+) when they have started entering in series mode. But this device is bigger and heavier than S10+. If you are size-minded or too much worried about bulkiness, this is not for you (forget about OnePlus 7 Pro...my god, 8.8 mm with 205 grams).

4) No Pop-up Selfie Camera: Today almost all the companies have started to provide pop-up cameras even for budget phones and the biggest advantage of this is - full-screen display. Whereas this is NOT THERE on this OnePlus 7. Very sad. They could have charged little more for this and provided Pop-up Selfie Camera (just like in 7 Pro). I really think this is a big con in today's technology.

5) Screen Guard: I saw a few people complaining protective film on OnePlus 7 Pro had bubbles and not applied properly. I think this is the case on this OnePlus 7 too. Because on my device also (although flat surface) have two air bubbles on the protective film. First time I am seeing this on OnePlus.

VERDICT:

Although OnePlus 7 has a few Cons, while considering the PROS and PRICE, IT IS VERY MUCH WORTH BUYING and really deserves 5 stars. Though OnePlus 7 Pro disappointed many, I am sure this will NOT disappoint, because it is really worth FOR THE PRICE WHAT YOU PAY. So definitely this device has saved OnePlus I feel.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
2,905 people found this helpful