Amazon Best Reads - July mens fashion Mobile family womens fashion

1 February 2018
The Blue Umbrella is a short fiction written by Ruskin Bond & published by Rupa Publications. The author’s first novel, The Room on the Roof, written when he was 17, won the John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, essays, poems & children’s books. He has also written over 500 short stories & articles that have appeared in a number of magazines & anthologies. He received the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1993 for Our Trees Still Grow in Dehra, a collection of short stories & the Padma Shri in 1999.

Our protagonist of the story is Binyadevi or Binya as she is called by everyone from her village. She lives a simple life with her mother & elder brother Vijay or Bijju. One fine day she acquires a beautiful bright blue umbrella from some picnickers who came at the hills of Garhwal in exchange of her lucky leopard’s claw necklace. The story beautifully revolves around how she gets attached to the umbrella while a shopkeeper named Ram Bharosa eyed on it & plans to acquire it somehow.
Ruskin Bond is one of my favorite author of all time. His simplicity in writing the stories just sweep me away. I’m so glad I picked up this small book which refreshed my mind totally. The characters have been etched as ordinary as one can get & that’s what makes Bond’s writing mesmerizing. The language, cover & title, everything is on point.
46 people found this helpful