25 September 2016
"She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something."

Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

This book. I don't know what to say.

Even though I am writing this review days after finishing the book, it still gets me emotional. And only Rainbow Rowell's books can do that. I never expected this simple story of two strangers to affect like this. I mean I don't have any words for this unusual book and its characters.

Eleanor & Park doesn't talk to each other, and after reading this book you won't find it odd because their whole relationship starts with them sitting there on the bus and Eleanor trying to read Park's comics and him trying to share it with her and their songs playlists exchange and......well, I can go on forever because this book is just....too adorable, and sad :( Those cute exchange and small gestures still manages to make me smile! *Please don't pay attention to the number of 'and' I have used in this paragraph* lol

“Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Like holding something complete, and completely alive.”

I love Eleanor's character in this book. And most importantly, I love how this book shows that looks doesn't matter when you actually love someone. Eleanor has red hair and is often bullied by other students for her looks and dressing style. But she doesn't pay attention to them, mostly because she is already dealing with so many issues of her own. She has to share her room with her four siblings, and has already gone through a lot in past because of family issues.

Park is a really cool character. When he notices that Eleanor is trying to read his comics on the bus, next day he comes up with some extra comics so that she can read them. And after that they get into this routine of sharing comics and music, which then turns into a very special relationship. He's a very quite person and usually tries to stay away from any argument, but doesn't hesitate to stand up for the people he cares for.

This might look like a light read, but it's not. It deals with many important and emotional issues like bullying, poverty, and violence. While I really enjoyed their love story, I really couldn't help but feel sad during those dark and emotional scenes. I was really surprised how despite these tragic moments, the author has portrayed love and friendship so beautifully. Some scenes very horrific and intense, but they were well balanced with the romance part of the book.

And when everything was going like it was supposed to, that ending happened. I just can't stop thinking about it! And even though the ending was that bad or anything, but it wasn't what I had expected either! At the end, this book left me with a lot of mixed feelings. It's a must read for all Rainbow Rowell fans, and even for those who are curious about this cute love story of Eleanor & Park.
39 people found this helpful