Indian writing and New Delhi NCR top the 2014 Amazon.in Reading Trends Report
• New Delhi NCR tops the list of the Most Well-Read Cities in India; followed by Bangalore, Mumbai and Hyderabad at #2, #3 and #4 position.
• Indian writing was the top selling Genre across all cities, followed by Children & Young Adult fiction, Literary fiction and History & Politics.
• Colaba Conspiracy by Surendra Mohan Pathak, a Hindi book, was voted as the Most Popular book in the year end Reader’s Poll on Amazon.in while Chetan Bhagat’s Half Girlfriend was the highest selling book of 2014.
Bengaluru, January 09, 2015: Amazon.in today released its annual reading trend report of the year 2014 on its marketplace. The report based on the orders received on the Amazon.in Books Store reflects the reading habits of today’s customers and their affection to different genres and authors.
“Amazon.in’s 2014 reading trends bears testimony to the fact that reading culture in India is still alive. It is indeed a matter of great pride that Indian authors are gaining a strong foothold amongst readers and are amongst the most read authors, for the second consecutive year. We are committed to helping our customers enjoy their passion for reading by surfacing them with wide and unique choices across languages, genres and authors,” said Samir Kumar, Director, Category Management, Amazon India.
Some of the interesting findings of the Amazon.in’s Books Trends Report 2014 are:
• New Delhi NCR tops the list of the Most Well-Read Cities in India; Bangalore, Mumbai and Hyderabad come in at #2, #3 and #4 position. The ranking was determined by compiling sales data of all the physical books sold during the course of the year 2014. The Top 15 Most Well-Read Cities are:
1. Delhi – NCR
• Colaba Conspiracy by Surendra Mohan Pathak, a Hindi book was voted as the most popular book of 2014 in a reader’s poll on Amazon.in. Sorry, you’re not my type by Sudeep Nagarkar; When only love remains by Durjoy Dutta; Half Girlfriend by Chetan Bhagat and Your Dreams Are Mine Now by Ravindra Singh came in top 5 subsequent positions as per the reader’s poll on the most popular books of 2014. The results are based on a poll conducted on Amazon.in from 26th December 2014 to 5th January 2015. Books lovers from across the country were invited to vote for their favourite books under six different genres: Indian Writing, Biographies, Literature & Fiction, Children’s and Young Adult, Business & Economics and Politics & History. Customers voted for their favorite books amongst 10 books pre-selected, under each category.
The other interesting findings of the poll result as compared with bestsellers in the same genre were as follows:
• And Then One Day: A Memoir by Naseerudin Shah got the maximum votes in the Biographies category, whereas the highest sales were for Sachin Tendulkar’s Playing it my way.
• In Business books, the most popular book was another Indian book, Rokda: How Baniyas Do Business. Whereas, the highest selling books were The Small Big by Steve Martin (an Amazon Exclusive) and How Google Works by Eric Schmidt.
• Politics being a hot genre this year with lots of hi profile books, saw the highest votes for The Accidental Prime Minister by Sanjay Baru (the tell-all book on the Congress regime) and Not Just an Accountant by Vinod Rai (first-hand account of 11th CAG of India on several corruption scams like 2G, coalgate, civil aviation, etc.)
• In Children and Young Adult category, the top votes were for The Fault in our Stars, Blood of Olympus and The Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul.
The Top 10 Bestsellers of 2014
1. Half Girlfriend by Chetan Bhagat (Indian Writing)
2. Pllaying it My Way- My Autobiography by Sachin Tendulkar (Autobiography)
3. The Accidental Prime Minister: The Making and Unmaking of Manmohan Singh by Sanjaya Baru (Politics)
4. Forge your Future by A.P.J Abdul Kalam (Self-help)
5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul (Book 9) by Jeff Kinney (Children)
6. Your Dreams Are Mine Now by Ravinder Singh (Indian Writing)
7. The Deliberate Sinner by Bhaavna Arora (Indian Writing)
8. Adultery by Paulo Coelho (Literary Fiction)
9. Blood of Olympus (Heroes of Olympus Book 5) by Rick Riordan (Young Adult)
10. Sorry, You're Not My Type by Sudeep Nagarkar (Indian Writing)
Apart from this, Children and Young Adult books is one of the most popular books category on Amazon.in. This is a special focus category for Amazon and has a significant sales contribution on Amazon.in. It is also one of the fastest growing sub-categories within the category. Special contests like the Whipple-scrumptious Roald Dahl Dream London Holiday Contest celebrating 50th anniversary of Charlie and the Chocolate factory where 5 kids were sent to London for a special tour with parents and exclusives like Pran Comics and Cartoon Network Comics are some endeavours to generate interest in reading among kids. Within the Children books category, Amazon has created specific sub-stores by age-groups, series and best reviewed books by customers to help parents find relevant books for their children. The Top Bestsellers in this genre in 2014 were, The Fault in our Stars by John Green, Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan, The Diary of a Wimpy Kid :The Long Haul by Jeff Kinney and Pran Comics (the last comics written by the legendary cartoonist Mr. Pran).
Amazon.in has the largest online collection of books in India across languages including three regional language book stores - Hindi, Tamil and Kannada which have found a huge audience, especially in non-metro cities where regional language books have featured in the top ten best sellers list. The best example is the translated version of Amish Tripathi’s ‘Shiva Trilogy’ that continues to be a bestseller in Hindi, Tamil, Marathi as well as Kannada. ‘The Secret’, in its Tamil translation and ‘Yaana’ in Kannada were other top sellers in Indian language books.
Consumers on www.amazon.in and Amazon’s mobile shopping application can shop anywhere with ease and confidence from over half a million products across a broad range of departments including Books; eBooks and Tablets; Movies and TV shows; Kindle Devices, Computers and Accessories; Mobiles and Accessories; Consumer Electronics; Toys and Games; Baby Products; Health and Personal Care products; Watches; Fashion Jewelry; Home and Kitchen products; Beauty Products; Video Games; Music; Luggage and Bags; Handbags and Clutches; Sports, Fitness and Outdoor equipment; Shoes; Men’s, Women’s and Kid’s wear; Pet Supplies; Gift Cards; Large Appliances, Gourmet and Specialty Foods, Kids Party Supplies, Musical Instruments and Professional Audio; Office and Stationary Supplies store and now Precious Jewellery store. Consumers across several cities in India are increasingly enjoying Amazon.in’s guaranteed next-day delivery on over a million products fulfilled by Amazon.
All Consumers on www.amazon.in benefit from a safe and secure ordering experience, convenient electronic payments, Cash on Delivery, Amazon’s 24x7 customer service support, and a globally recognized and comprehensive 100% purchase protection provided by Amazon’s A-to-Z Guarantee.
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Ltd, an affiliate of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, low prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class e-commerce platform.
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire phone, Fire tablets, and Fire TV are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.