Amazon.in 2015 highlights
• India’s largest store also becomes the most visited store; twice in the year
• Increases selection to 40 million+, adding over 55,000+ products per day
• Seller base grows 250%; Invests in building awareness, education, enablement & capability building initiatives
• Grew largest storage capacity and fulfilment infrastructure by 3X; largest storage and fulfilment service in India with 21 FCs with 5 million cubic feet of storage capacity ;
• India-specific innovations KiranaNow and Project Udaan for customers & sellers in India continue to push growth
Bengaluru, December 23, 2015:With numerous new innovations to help its customers and benefit the sellers, Amazon.in closes 2015 celebrating its listing as the most visited e-commerce site by comScore.
With only two years and nine months of operations in the country, Amazon.in has emerged as the largest store, with over 40 million products, of which one million are in-stock and available for immediate shipment. Amazon.in also has the largest fulfilment and storage capacity in India, enabling it to offer premium services of morning delivery, same day delivery and Sunday delivery, all over and above the next day and two day delivery.
Amit Agarwal, Vice President and Country Manager, Amazon India said,“2015 has been another great year for us and we are humbled by the response received from both, the customers as well as sellers. We saw 250% percent growth in our seller base and emerged as the most visited site twice this year. We also received 65% orders from Tier II cities and below and 70% of our traffic came from mobile. Last but not the least, we had the biggest ever festive season in the history of Amazon.in. We believe our focus on working backwards from customer needs and innovating on the three things that matter to customers – selection, low prices and convenience- is paying us rich dividends.”
Some of the Key Highlights for Amazon.in in 2015 were:
Leading in all things that matter to the customer:
1)Products:Amazon.in increased their offerings to over 40 million products across 100 sectors with over 1 million products in-stock. The company added over 55,000 new products per day. We have the largest selection in 14 departments.
a. Amazon.in introduced Sunday and Morning delivery to its existing delivery services of One-Day, Two Day, Same day, Release Day and Midnight delivery; over 70% customers are eligible for next-day shipping on products fulfilled by Amazon.in. During the festive season we saw a 300% jump in demand for these services.
b. Strengthened last mile delivery network with Service Partner program and Rural Distribution centers which now cover more than a hundred satellite towns and Tier II cities including places like Havelock Islands (Port Blair), Chidambaram and Balasore
c. Including Amazon Pick up points, Amazon.in now has over 4000 pick-up points across India
1. Capacity: The Company increased its fulfillment centers capacity by 3x over last year. Total number of FCs stands at 21 currently with a storage capacity of 5 million cubic feet across all FCs. This is the largest storage capacity and warehouse infrastructure for sellers in India in the e-commerce industry. More than 90% of sellers on Amazon.in today use their logistics. This infrastructure built up has helped thousands of sellers to reach millions of new customers across the country and has enabled Amazon.in to offer faster and quicker delivery of products to more pin codes.
2. Launched Global selling programs for sellers in India enabling them to sell on the global platforms like amazon.com and amazon.co.uk and get access to over 285 million global customers.
3. To enable more and more sellers to benefit from the digital economy, introduced an innovative concept called Chai Cart to generate awareness among SMEs in Tier II cities about the opportunity to sell on Amazon.in. 8000+ sellers in 30 cities were engaged with Chai Cart.
4. Started the Amazon Trained Ecommerce Specialist (ATES) and the Amazon Service Provider Network (SPN) programs to provide support to sellers to manage and grow their business on Amazon.in with the help of trained specialists and freelancers. These programs have scaled substantially and assisted over 10,000 sellers with ATES and SPN programs to sell and scale.
5. Launched a structured education program for sellers called, Seller University to teach sellers the various processes and way to sell and grow on the platform.
6. Set up the SellerFlex with the objective of reducing operational challenges for sellers, unlocking unlimited selection in FBA by making it easy and convenient for them to enjoy the advantages of our FBA services.
7. Amazon.in also launched the state-of-the-art Amazon Seller App to help seller manage their business on-the-go
8. Combining Pay with Amazon with Easy Ship: The Company introduced India’s first integrated payments and logistics offering for ecommerce websites in the country, offering, brands and businesses who want to sell through their own website, two of our flagship products - ‘Pay with Amazon’ for order management and ‘Amazon Easy Ship’ for delivery and fulfilment. This combined offering significantly helps businesses to convert their static websites into digital storefronts and tap into the growing base of online shoppers in the country.
9. Amazon.in struck some iconic strategic partnerships with leading organisations in India including India Post, IRCTC, Fashion Design Council of India and now an MoU with The National Institute for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development (NIESBUD) to jointly undertake the E-Commerce Entrepreneurship training program for SMEs on understanding the e-commerce industry in India and its vast potential for growth
Leading by Innovations:
In 2015, the company continued to invest and lead India-specific innovations sowing the seeds of several new programs that have the potential to grow into highly impactful activities transforming the buying and selling ecosystem in India
1. Kirana Now: Amazon.in started piloting KiranaNow in March this year in Bangalore with an aim to provide maximum convenience to customers when shopping for their everyday needs by enabling them to shop from the ecosystem of their local stores and get them delivered now, when they really need it. The pilot has been running successfully and will be a key focus and investment area next year.
2. Project Udaan(internal terminology):2015 saw Amazon.in expanding reach especially to the digitally underserved with Project Udaan. Udaan integrates skill development and self-employment with assisted shopping and Amazon Pickup, thus enabling the ‘digitally underserved to benefit from the emerging digital commerce opportunity.
3. Amazonbusiness.in: AmazonBusiness.in started early this year, as a member only website offering frequently purchased business supplies and products in bulk quantities at wholesale prices to small and medium businesses including small office and home offices, kirana stores, hospitals, hotels, and restaurants. AmazonBusiness.in is in the pilot stage in Bangalore and Mangalore and will continue to expand.
1) In October 2015, as per comScore Amazon.in was the most visited ecommerce site in the country
2) Additionally as per App Annie, in the last twelve months till Oct 2015 Amazon.in’s app downloads grew over 320%; the fastest growth in the eco-system.
All consumers on www.amazon.in and the Amazon mobile shopping app have an easy and convenient access to over 40 million products across hundreds of categories. They benefit from a safe and secure ordering experience, convenient electronic payments, cash on delivery, Amazon’s 24x7 customer service support, and a globally recognized and comprehensive 100% purchase protection provided by Amazon’s A-to-Z Guarantee. They can also enjoy Amazon.in’s guaranteed next-day, two day delivery, Sunday and Morning delivery on products fulfilled by Amazon.
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Limited, an affiliate of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, low prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class online marketplace.
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfilment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.com