Amazon.in Reading Trends Report 2015
Delhi-NCR tops the list of Most Well-Read Cities in India, three years in a row
• New Delhi NCR tops the list of the Most Well-Read Cities in India for three years in a row; Bengaluru, Mumbai and Hyderabad come in at #2, #3 and #4 position respectively
• Amish Tripathi was the bestselling author on Amazon.in with his book Scion of Ikshvaku emerging as the highest selling book of 2015
• Exam Preparation books emerged as the third most popular genre across all cities, with Fiction and Children’s books emerging as the top two
• Ikshvaku Ke Vanshaj, the Hindi translation of Amish Tripathi’s Scion of Ikshvaku topped the Hindi Book Category
• Language translations of ‘The Secret’ found a place among the top three bestsellers in various vernacular languages including Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Bengali and Marathi
Bengaluru, December 28, 2015: India’s love for reading is only growing with Delhi, Bengaluru and Mumbai emerging as the top three cities that love reading the most according to Amazon.in’s Annual Reading Trends Report for 2015. For the third consecutive year New Delhi NCR has topped the list of the Most Well-Read Cities in India.
“Amazon.in’s Reading Trends Report 2015 bears testimony to the fact that the culture of reading is vibrant and growing in India. It is indeed a matter of pride that Indian writers are among the most read authors for the third consecutive year. We are committed to promoting a love for reading among enthusiasts based anywhere in India. We enable readers and newbies enjoy their passion for reading by providing them a wide range of books across languages, genres and authors,” said Noor Patel, Director Category Management, Amazon India.
Some of the interesting findings of the Amazon.in’s Reading Trends Report 2015 are:
• New Delhi NCR tops the list of the Most Well-Read Cities in India; Bengaluru, Mumbai and Hyderabad come in at #2, #3 and #4 position respectively. The ranking was determined by compiling sales data of all the physical books sold during the course of the year 2015.
• This year Ahmedabad was a new entrant at #8 while Lucknow and Coimbatore saw a substantial decline to #22 and #18 positions from #9 & #10 in 2014 respectively.
• Surat, Bhubaneshwar, Vadodara, Ernakulam and Visakhapatnam are first time entrants in the Top 20 Most Well-Read Cities list having bought more books than Indore, Raipur, Mysore, Kanpur and Dehradun this year.
Refer to: ANNEXURE 1 : Amazon.in’s Reading Trends Report 2015
Chart 1 – The Top 20 Most Well-Read Cities
Best Sellers of 2015
• Amish Tripathi became the most sought-after author on Amazon.in with his book Scion of Ikshvaku emerging as the highest selling book of 2015 and the Shiva Trilogy continuing to firmly occupy a place in the bestsellers list across all languages.
• The Manorama Yearbook 2015 at # 2, Chetan Bhagat’s Half Girlfriend at # 3 were the other top selling books this year.
• APJ Abdul Kalam’s Wings of Fire: An Autobiography emerged as the eighth most sold book in 2015.
Refer to: ANNEXURE 1 : Amazon.in’s Reading Trends Report 2015
Chart 2 – The Top 5 New Releases of 2015
Readers’ Poll – Popular Books of 2015
Amazon.in conducted a Readers’ Poll on its website inviting readers to vote on their favorite book across nine different categories. Each category had the top 5 best-sellers of the respective genre and readers were asked to vote for their favorite among these. The poll ran for 11 days (from 4th – 14th December 2015) and received an overwhelming response from the customers.
• Scion of Ikshvaku by Amish Tripathi was voted as the Most Popular book of the year while Sudeep Nagarkar’s You're Trending in My Dreams came in second. Amish Tripathi was the most voted author with his book Scion of Ikshvaku receiving the highest number of votes overall (15% of total votes) as well as in the Indian Writing Category (46% votes). The Hindi translation of the book - 'Ikshvaku Ke Vanshaj' topped the Hindi books category with 50% of the total votes for the category.
• In ‘Literature & Fiction’ category, Fifty Shades of Grey As Told By Christian was the most voted book. Paula Hawkins’s The Girl on the Train was the most voted book under the ‘Crime, Thriller & Mystery’ category
• 'Books by Indian Authors' category received the maximum number of votes followed by ‘Literature & Fiction’ and ‘Crime, Thriller & Mystery’ categories.
Refer to: ANNEXURE 2 : Amazon.in’s Readers’ Poll – Popular Books of 2015
Chart 1 – Top 10 Bestsellers of 2015
Chart 2 – Category-wise winners of 2015
Children & Young Adult Books emerged as the second most popular genre on Amazon.in. This is a special focus category for Amazon.in and has a significant sales contribution on Amazon.in.
- The Top Bestsellers in this genre in 2015 were, Pokemon: Essential Handbook, Colour with Crayons - Part 1 and The Fault in our Stars by John Green.
Exam Preparation Books emerged as the third most popular genre across all cities. Exam preparation books are amongst the fastest growing categories in Books today on Amazon.in. English language learning books are the top books by demand. This year, Exam Preparation books have grown by 320% in terms of units sold as compared to last year. The second most sought-after sub-category is the Competitive Exam books. UPSC, CAT, GATE & JEE books have a consistent demand across the year, with a spike during the time when coaching institutes start their batches for these exams. 2015 also saw an increasing interest in books for regional recruitment exams that are run by State Governments.
Indian Language books - Language translations of ‘The Secret’ continued to find a place among the top three bestsellers in various vernacular languages including Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Bengali and Marathi for the third consecutive year along with ‘Immortals of Meluha’.
Amazon.in has the largest online selection of books in India across languages including three regional language book stores - Hindi, Tamil, and the most recently launched Marathi book store, which have found a huge audience, especially in non-metro cities where regional language books have featured in the top ten best sellers list.
Amazon Best Reads – Discounts on Top 25 Bestsellers in India
• To further encourage the reading habit among consumers, in September this year, Amazon.in introduced Amazon Best Reads that features the Top 25 bestsellers in India (in print and digital formats) based on sales on Amazon.in in any given month. The list is released on Amazon.in on the fifth of every month.
• Throughout the month, book lovers have the opportunity to purchase the Top 25 bestsellers of the month at 50% off on MRP and for digitally savvy readers, the respective eBook versions at an additional 20% discount.
All consumers on www.amazon.in and the Amazon mobile shopping app have an easy and convenient access to over 40 million products across hundreds of categories. They benefit from a safe and secure ordering experience, convenient electronic payments, cash on delivery, Amazon’s 24x7 customer service support, and a globally recognized and comprehensive 100% purchase protection provided by Amazon’s A-to-Z Guarantee. They can also enjoy Amazon.in’s guaranteed next-day, two day delivery, Sunday and Morning delivery on products fulfilled by Amazon.
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Limited, an affiliate of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, low prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class online marketplace.
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfilment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.com