Amazon.in’s Online Shopping Dhamaka Round-up
o Amazon.in’s seller club that has INR 10 crore+ monthly sales grew by 5X during the 30-day period of the Online Shopping Dhamaka
o 50% traffic through mobile through the month
o Over 50% orders from non metros; serviced over 950+ cities across 15,500+ pincodes
Bangalore, October 27, 2014: On September 21st, Amazon.in kicked-off the 30 day Online Shopping Dhamaka ahead of the peak festival season offering customers thousands of exciting new deals and offers on the hottest products; new store launches; first access to unique selections and premium brands, exciting contests etc. The month-long Online Shopping Dhamaka allows customers to shop at their convenience and take advantage of the everyday new deals and offers and enjoy great savings on their festival shopping from Navratri, Durga Puja, Dussehra to Karwa Chauth, Dhanteras and Diwali.
As part of the Online Shopping Dhamaka, Amazon.in hosted three major events including ‘Mission to Mars’ weekend between 4th-6th October dedicated to the success of India’s Magalyaan mission, the Diwali Dhamaka Week between October 10-16 and Dhanteras Dhamaka on October 21st. All these events offered great deals across hundreds of products from all categories enabling great savings for customers every day and every hour on their festive shopping.
“We are humbled by the tremendous response from customers to the Online Shopping Dhamaka and all events hosted as part of this. The response has been beyond our wildest expectations. With millions of customers making their first purchase on Amazon.in this festive season, over 50% orders coming from non-metros, our INR 10 crore+ monthly sales seller club growing by 5X and traffic spikes witnessed on multiple occasions throughout the month-long celebrations stand proof of the cheer and delight that our customers and sellers experienced this festive season on our platform,” says Amit Agarwal, Country Manager and VP, Amazon India.
Some interesting trivia about the Online Shopping Dhamaka:
• Traffic on Amazon.in during the month-long Online Shopping Dhamaka was over 15 times that of the total number of tourists thronging the Taj Mahal every year.
• If you stock up all the pairs of shoes sold during the Online Shopping Dhamaka, you can walk to Mars and come back home without running out of a pair of shoes.
• If you stacked up all the books sold on Amazon.in during the Online Shopping Dhamaka month - the stack will be taller than Mount Everest, the world’s tallest mountain peak.
• The sarees sold on Amazon.in in the last 30-days can engulf the cricket pitches of all ODI grounds across the globe 20 times over.
• The total weight of all shipments via Amazon.in during the Online Shopping Dhamaka equals the weight of over 800 adult elephants put together.
Key highlights of Amazon.in’s Online Shopping Dhamaka (September 21- October 21, 2014):
• Traffic during the Online Shopping Dhamaka witnessed a steady increase and reached new crescendos at different instances. 1st day of Diwali Dhamaka Week (10th October), 3rd day of Mission of Mars (6th October) and Dhanteras Dhamaka (21st October) were the three important occasions when traffic on the site peaked multi-fold
o Traffic on October 10th was 200% more than that on October 6th.
o Traffic jumped by over 300% between October 10-16, 2014
o Traffic peaked by over 150% on October 21, 2014, the day of Dhanteras Dhamaka
• Top 5 Cities (Metros)- Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai
• Top 5 Cities (Non-Metro) - Pune, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Nagpur, Coimbatore
• Amazon.in also witnessed massive interest from other cities like Bhubaneshwar, Gurgoan, Surat, Baroda, Vizag, Patna, Bhopal, Ludhiana, Amritsar, Chandigarh, Noida, Lucknow, Guwahati, etc.
• Mobile devices contributed to nearly half of the traffic
• Top 5 Categories – Consumer Electronics (including PC), Books, Home (and Kitchen), Beauty, Shoes
o Consumer Electronics and Home and Kitchen grew nearly 6x during the Diwali Dhamaka Week
• Smartphones, PCs, Cameras, Wireless Accessories and Home Entertainment were among the top 5 sub-categories
• Top selling products included Deep fryers, Mixer Grinders, Water Purifiers, Microwave Ovens and Bedsheet
• Decoration Lights, Diyas and Lanterns, Candles, Puja Articles and Idols and Figurines were some of the other products that received a tremendous response from customers
o The growth in sales for books was over 3x during this period
• Indian Writing, Literature and Fiction, Children’s Books and Biographies were the popular categories with Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam’s latest book ‘Forge Your Future’ being the No. 1 bestseller within the Diwali special list
• Most Popular products- Micromax phones, Flash drives, Coke Zero, iPhones and Philips shavers
• Sales of Ethnic wear witnessed a 5x jump with 50% sales coming from sarees. Customers have purchased sarees ranging from pure silks and embroideries to designer wear sarees
o Kidswear grew by 8x with traditional clothing for kids witnessing high customer interest. Character merchandise was our customer’s favourite pick with Batman, Spiderman, Disney Princess being top performers
• Several brands and products launched exclusively on Amazon.in during the Online Shopping Dhamaka including –
o The Micromax Canvas Android One
o Timex Weekender range of watches
o HiDesign’s ICONIC range of bags for both men and women
o Audio range from House of Marley
o Blackberry Passport
Every exclusive launch received an overwhelming response from customers with sales exceeding thousands of units for each range within two weeks of its launch. Over 100,000 Micromax Canvas Android One smartphones were sold on Amazon.in in two weeks of its launch and the device continues to be one of the best-selling products on Amazon.in even today. The Blackberry Passport went out-of-stock.
• Amazon.in launched special festive design packaging and introduced gift boxes and gift wrapping paper in colours that match with the artwork on the gift boxes for Diwali
• On the occasion of Diwali, Amazon.in extended its Gift A Smile initiative to new states by adding 15 more NGOs working for causes ranging from child development, education, health care and protection to women empowerment and more. The reach of the initiative has now widened covering states like Kerala, Uttarakhand and Telangana
• Amazon.in’s seller club that has INR 10 crore+ monthly sales grew by 5X during the 30-day period of the Online Shopping Dhamaka
• Sellers on the Amazon.in marketplace received orders from 15,697 pin codes and from 925 non-metro cities
Gaurav Sabharwal, a seller on Amazon.in, shared the following experience about the Diwali Dhamaka Week:
“This has been a very exciting past one week for us as a seller on the amazon platform, we have seen a quantum jump in the number of orders. We have seen an almost 300% jump in the orders during this period. It has been very interesting for us to see the orders from a wider geography (namely tier-2 and teir-3 cities) and from a larger number of pin codes. We are sellers on various platforms, but this Diwali we feel amazon has surpassed most other platforms.”
Rahul, a seller from the Apparel category on Amazon.in, shared the following experience.
“In a very short span of time, Amazon India has become our top online sales channel surpassing other established marketplaces in India. We witnessed 4x sales growth on Amazon.in compared to 2x growth on other channels. Apart from having a superior technological platform backed by talented and hardworking team, what sets Amazon apart is the 'Fulfilled by Amazon' model which eliminates all the hassles of invoicing, packing, shipping and return on a daily basis thus allowing us to focus more on the product. This has really helped us to achieve the numbers.”