Amazon.in is India’s most visited and transacted shopping destination this festive season
More than half of online shoppers in India chose to buy on Amazon.in* to make it the most preferred online shopping destination in India
Close to 70,000 sellers received at least one customer order; Number of crorepati sellers grew by over 117% over last year
• Customers from over 99.3% pin codes place orders; over 89% new customers from small towns while more than 80% customers from last Great Indian Festival came back to purchase on Amazon.in
• Smartphones continued to be the biggest category by value driven by industry-leading phones across segments with leading bestsellers from Xiaomi, OnePlus, Apple and more; Xiaomi witnesses biggest season with 2.2X growth and OnePlus retaining its position as the number 1 premium smartphone brand in India with the launch of OnePlus 6T
• Amazon Fashion and Consumables were the largest selling categories. Amazon Fashion lead new customer acquisition
• Large Appliances, as well as TVs grew 2.5x over last Great Indian Festival, with smart TVs accounting for more than 50% of total TV sales
• Prime member sign-ups across India surge nearly 2x
• Great Indian Festival saw huge expansion in financial inclusiveness with customers accessing any kind of credit instrument for first time growing 19x
• 75% of sales during the Amazon Great Indian Festival was powered by Amazon Pay and financing options
• Echo devices sales grew 6x over last festive season and Fire TV Stick selling 2.6x more than last Great Indian Festival
• Amazon Private brands Solimo and AmazonBasics grew by more than 6x Y-o-Y
• Sellers witnessed a sales growth of 4.2X as compared to an average business day
• Kala Haat program, supporting Indian artisans on Amazon.in, saw a growth of over 400% this Great Indian Festival as compared to last year
Bengaluru, November 05, 2018: The Great Indian Festival 2018, with its three dedicated sale events – October 10-15, October 24 – 28 and November 2-5 - was the biggest shopping season ever for Amazon.in as it emerged as the most visited* and the transacted shopping destination in India this festive season.
“The Great Indian Festival 2018 was our biggest celebration ever with more than half of online Indian shoppers choosing to buy on Amazon.in, making it the most visited and transacted marketplace in India. With 99.3% of pin codes placing at least one order, 89% of new customers coming from smaller towns, almost 70K small & medium businesses getting at least one order and new Prime memberships growing by nearly 2X, we are humbled that India trusts us to find, discover and buy anything online. We realise that this is merely Day 1 for ecommerce in India and we will continue to invest in transforming how India buys & sells.” said Amit Agarwal, SVP & Country Head, Amazon India.
Kantar IMRB’s empaneled survey of 50K online consumers in over 300 cities
(X) – This is the spike over normal daily performance unless specified
“We launched on Amazon.in last year to sell Banarasi sarees. And this year we saw an increase of 125% in sales during the month of October as compared to 2017. Our online sales have been growing continuously and we are happy with the sales that we have been getting online.” said Varanasi-based Amazon seller Rahul Bapuly of Kashi Fancy Sarees.
Overall scale, Reach and customer response:
• Over 89% new customers from Tier 2 & below cities and 68% from sub-1 million Pop Strata cities. This festive season we offered free shipping on first order to customers. More than 80% of the new customers who availed this were from Tier 2, Tier 3 and smaller towns across the country
• Our investments including Hindi website, free shipping for first purchase, financing, logistics connectivity to 100% of pin codes, and more in getting to the next 100 million customers are paying off. New customers on our Hindi website alone grew by 2.3X
• We received orders from 99.3% of serviceable pin codes.
• 81% customers who shopped last Great Indian Festival visited us this season as well.
• We delivered to customers in far and remote locations like Solan (HP), Pinjore (Haryana), Malda (WB), Angul (Odisha), Havelock (Andamans), Mavelikkara (Kerala), Kotdwara (Uttarkhand), Hapur (UP), Mundra (Gujarat), Tinsukia (Assam), Dumka (Jharkhand)
• On the peakiest day, we flew in more than 300 flights enabling faster deliveries for our customers
• If we would have allowed our associates go around the earth for the distance they covered this sale, they would have circled the earth more than 670 times.
• Heavy & Bulky stations processed 12X peak volume compared to a normal business day.
• We delivered at lightning fast speed this sale. 2 in every 3 Prime orders in Metros were delivered within 48 hours.
• 45% of our customers across the country received their orders for large appliances in just 48 hours
Everyone loves Prime!
• Customers across India continue to see value in Prime membership. During the Great Indian Festival, we added Prime members from over 340 cities, including Leh in north, Kanyakumari in south, Amreli in west and Changlang in the North East of India.
• Prime members loved Prime Video’s multi-title line-up for Diwali, including blockbuster titles like Karwaan, Dhadak, Gold, Fanney Khan, and Satyameva Jayate, making October our biggest month this year, with the largest number of streaming customers. For the festive season, Prime Video also launched the highly anticipated Prime Original series Homecoming, starring Julia Roberts, on November 2 and expanded its local language offering to include Kannada content.
• Prime Music received the highest number of daily active listeners since the service launched.
• Shares across songs, albums and playlists on Amazon Prime Music saw highest ever 4.5X increase in October over prior month.
• This festive season, Amazon Pay launched new payment products including Debit Card EMI, Amazon Pay EMI, Amazon Pay ICICI credit card and Amazon Pay Coupons, and partnered with banks (SBI, ICICI, HDFC, Citi, Amex, Yes, RBL), NBFCs (Bajaj Finserv, Capital Float) and the National Payments Council of India (NPCI) to boost adoption of digital payments and credit products among customers.
• Innovative credit offerings and no cost EMI drive growth in new to credit customers: EMIs grew 2x over last year and 12X over average business day; 3 out of 4 customers who used EMI availed No Cost EMI benefit; every second iPhone X and Sony TV was bought using EMIs; 70% customers who used EMI came from tier 2 cities and beyond; new to credit customer adoption grew 19X due to innovative credit products such as Amazon Pay EMI, Debit EMI and Bajaj Finserv EMI. 2 out of 3 customers who shopped on EMIs availed this benefit for first time
• Cashbacks drive growth in digital transactions among banked customers: Bank discounts & cashbacks drove 95% YoY growth: To boost adoption among bank customers, Amazon Pay partnered with SBI, ICICI, HDFC, Citi, Amex, RBL and Yes, as well as National Payment Council of India to bring special offers to their customers. Participating banks collectively saw 95% YoY growth while NPCI powered payment methods RuPay and UPI grew by 5.5X YoY.
• Amazon Pay serves customers’ everyday payment needs beyond Amazon.in. Adoption of Amazon Pay for bill payments, recharges, food delivery, transportation, travel, movie ticketing and offline merchants grew 5X YoY. 1 in X customers prefer using Amazon Pay balance for its one click convenience. Amazon Pay ICICI credit card introduced recently offers unlimited rewards for customers to buy 160MM products on Amazon.in 15K+ Amazon Pay merchants and millions of merchants accepting Visa credit cards
Amazon Devices Ecosystem
• Each day of the Great Indian Festival this year was 20x more than an average business day (Echo devices could be purchased by Invite-only during last Diwali when it was launched)
• Fire TV Stick sold 2.6X more than the last Great Indian Festival in 2017
• Kindle devices sold 9X more than an average business day
• Kindle eBooks selection on deals sold 8X over an average business day
• Kindle Unlimited annual subscription sold 4X over an average business day
• Alexa built-in devices did 13X over an average business day this Diwali across its headphones and speaker segments
• Amazon Launchpad grew 8X over last Great Indian Festival
• Top performing start-ups were Wakefit – 6.6X , Sleepycat – 8.3X, Green Soul –8.6X, Tagg – 3X, Sleepyhead Home Décor – 8.2X
• Close to 50 Launchpad sellers became millionaires
Categories customers loved
• Smartphones see their biggest season with OnePlus and Xiaomi ruling the market. OnePlus 6T, launched on November 01, was the biggest launch ever for OnePlus. During the festive month, OnePlus retained its position as the number 1 premium smartphone brand in India and garnered ~45% of the entire premium smartphone market share.
• Redmi 6A, an Amazon Exclusive, was the number 1 selling smartphone in the entire industry. Xiaomi grew by 2.2X YoY during the Great Indian Festival
• Customers in Delhi NCR got deliveries of their devices in as less as 3 hours as a part of the “faster than same day” delivery experience from Amazon.
• Amazon Fashion had its biggest ever festive season with over 100% growth over last year’s festive season, commanding its position as India’s largest online store for fashion.
• Apparel was the largest category on Amazon Fashion, doubling its share from the festive period last year, registering a growth of 2X driven by the top fashion brands like UCB, BIBA, W, Allen Solly, Pepe Jeans, Flying Machine Jack & Jones among others.
• Festive wear categories were at the forefront of the Great Indian Festival this year as 1 in every 3 purchases of clothing were from ethnic wear categories. Men’s denims, Women’s Kurtas and Women’s Western-wear were the fastest growing categories.
• Customers took to festive shopping with jewelry growing 3X compared to last year Diwali. Key jewelry brands like Joyalukas, Malabar, Senco etc and gold coins from MMTC and Bangalore Refinery and Kundan saw a massive jump
• Luggage and travel gear saw 2X growth and Watches saw 1.9X growth over last festive season
• Shoes doubled in orders vs last year with women’s shoe sales increasing 3X. Brands like Bata, Puma, Sparx, New Balance grew significantly vs daily business.
• With offers across 300+ brands Shoppers Stop saw their share of increasing 5.2X vs daily business
• With over a 170 designers offering over 30,000 handpicked selection for customers looking for curated designer wear, The Designer Boutique at Amazon saw at 352% spike vs daily business
• This has been the biggest sale event in a 30 day window for TVs with Xiaomi, BPL, Sanyo being the biggest brands. Xiaomi was the top selling brand of Smart TVs on the back of its recently launched Pro series
• Amazon.in sold as many DSLRs as what the entire camera industry sells in a month in India.
• Amazon.in sold as many Headphones and Speakers as what the entire audio industry sells in 5 months
• Amazon.in sold 1 Flash Device every 2 seconds during the Great India Festival with 1 Mi band3 fitness tracker selling every 9 seconds
• Printers witnessed a growth of 2.5x over last year's festive season with top brands including HP, Canon, Epson amassing 10-12X growth across the event days
• Large Appliances sale in Great Indian Festival was 2.5 times of last year’s event with LG, Bosch, Samsung, Whirlpool, IFB & BPL featuring among the top selling brands. Over 50% of sales came from Tier 2 and 3 cities
• 1 in every 3 large appliances sold came from our exclusives portfolio featuring top brands such as LG, Samsung, Whirlpool, Bosch, IFB, Haier, Godrej, Voltas, Carrier, Daikin and BPL
• Front Loading washing machines sale was 20x of sales on a normal day and side-by-side refrigerator sale was 30x of a normal day.
• Approximately every 3rd Microwave Oven and 30% of all Chimneys sold in India were on Amazon.in
• Almost 50% of customers purchased Large Appliances on EMIs this festive season, while 1 in every 5 customers upgraded their refrigerators & washing machines through our exchange offerings
Home & Kitchen
• Small Kitchen & Home appliances sales were 3X of last festive season sales, driven by subcategories like water purifiers, mixer grinders & air purifiers.
• Air purifier sales were 3X of last festive sales, driven by Xiaomi, Honeywell, Philips & Dyson. Car air purifiers saw a festive jump of 5.5X, customer favorite brands in it being Honeywell & Philips
• Furniture sales grew 3.5X YoY, driven by customer’s trust in choosing Beds, Sofa, Mattresses and other home furniture.
Sports & Fitness
• Fitness became a lifestyle habit for customers with sales in the category growing by 3X of last Great Indian Festival. Treadmills and Exercise Bikes saw a tremendous growth of 6X and 3X respectively. Amazon.in also sold enough dumbbells and home gyms to equal the weight of three Boeing 747 aircraft.
• Spices added the “tadka” with a 10X jump in sales over the last festive season. Ghee & Oil categories saw a 4X jump in sales and Healthy edible oils seeing 50X jump over the last festive season.
• India's largest Beauty store on Amazon.in saw a huge surge in demand with around 4X
• Daily care essentials like Shampoos and conditioners saw a 5X jump in sales and with the winter season setting in, body lotions saw a 6X growth led by Vaseline & Nivea
• India is preparing to smell good this festive season as ‘Authentic’ International perfumes grew more than 8X this season.
• Luxury Ayurveda gift boxes saw a 10X spike in sales
Grocery & Daily Essentials
• Grocery saw a 3X growth over the last festive season led by Maggi and Nescafe along with specially curated gift packs of Cadbury, Solimo and other dry fruit and chocolate brands
• With the lowest price of the year on 15000+ daily essentials, we sold 1000+ grocery units every minute of every hour on Day1 for the Great Indian Festival!
• Diwali cleaning was on everyone’s mind, with Detergents, Household cleaners & Hand washes selling 7X more
• Customers are preparing to look dapper with grooming devices growing by 4X over an average business day this Diwali; On Day 1 of Diwali, customers on Amazon purchased 1 in every 2 Philips Trimmers sold in India
• 3X increase in the sale of Diapers and Wipes during the Great Indian Festival.
• If all the Lego Bricks bought from Amazon India during Great Indian Festival were stacked, the tower built would be taller than Mount Everest.
• Amazon’s Brands saw its best performance ever with a 6X jump YoY with Solimo being the #1 brand in Home Furnishing & Home Improvement
• AmazonBasics grew 6X over last Great Indian Festival with product lines such as office supplies, kitchenware, luggage, cables, chairs, safes, backpacks, bedding linen and camera accessories doing especially well.
• Solimo grew 7X over last Great Indian Festival with product line such as tea lights, comforters, bedsheets, cookware and kitchen appliances seeing a boost.
• Staples from the brand Vedaka are now a Pantry favourite with Vedaka being the #1 brand in dals.
• The Amazon Accelerator brand Snuggles has become one of the top 5 brands in the FMCG dominated baby category
For more information, please contact:
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Ltd, an affiliate of Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, low prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class e-commerce marketplace. For more information, visit www.amazon.in/aboutus. Join Amazon Newsroom: Twitter | Facebook