Prime Day Empowers Small and Medium-Sized Businesses on Amazon to Create New Jobs and Reinvest Locally**
Sales on Prime Day and year-round empower small and medium-sized businesses to create jobs and expand in their communities
Small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon have created more than an estimated 900,000 jobs in communities around the globe
BANGALORE – July 9, 2018 – (NASDAQ: AMZN) – Prime Day has proven to be a huge growth opportunity for many small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) selling on Amazon. Last year, on Prime Day 2017, thousands of SMBs on Amazon had more than $50,000 in sales, which allowed them to grow their businesses, create new jobs, and invest in their communities. These SMBs have created more than an estimated 900,000 jobs globally. Prime Day 2018 starts on July 16th at 12:00pm PT/3:00pm ET, and customers can shop deals from small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon at amazon.com/primeday.
According to Amazon's recently published Small Business Impact Report, more than 20,000 SMBs surpassed $1 million in sales on Amazon in 2017, thanks in part to Prime Day. The report also found that there are more than one million U.S.-based small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon, generating hundreds of thousands of jobs across the U.S. To view the full report, visit: aboutamazon.com/supporting-small-businesses. India currently has over 340,000 sellers on the Amazon marketplace from over 8600 pin-codes, selling over 170M products. To view how Amazon.in is supporting small business, visit: https://www.aboutamazon.in/supporting-small-business.
"Prime Day helps SMBs reach more than 100 million paid Prime members around the world, and provides an opportunity for the smallest of businesses to sell right alongside the biggest household brands," said Nicholas Denissen, VP Marketplace Business, Amazon. "In fact, Prime members ordered more than 40 million items from small and medium-sized businesses during Prime Day 2017, generating record-breaking success for those entrepreneurs."
“Prime Day gives small businesses and entrepreneurs on Amazon.in an opportunity to increase sales and reach new customers. Small businesses and entrepreneurs are increasingly using Prime Day as their proving ground for new and existing products. In-fact, we are very excited to see that many small businesses have chosen Prime Day to launch their exclusive range of products just for Prime customers across the country this year,” said Gopal Pillai, Director & GM, Seller Services, Amazon India.
Here’s how Amazon India and sellers are prepping for Prime Day this year:
• To encourage more participation from small businesses, Amazon.in is hosting various deals and offers for sellers on its dedicated microsite- Sellerbration and support sellers in having a successful Prime Day
• From zero-cost launch, free cataloging and subsidized imaging services to free ad credits worth INR 2000, FBA and referral benefits, there are a host of incentives lined up for sellers
• Sellers and start-ups are also launching a wide exclusive range of products for Prime customers this year, adding to the celebration
• For the first time, Prime members will be able to exclusively shop for new handicraft products such as Kalamkari Ikat, Pochampally & Banarasi Sarees, handcrafted Kutch embroidery products, Ajrakh hand-block printed apparels and even tribal paintings & jewelry
• Moreover, Indian sellers who are part of the Global Selling program will also get a chance to showcase their products to customers in US and Europe this year by offering over 100 deals and venturing into newer categories such as new art and craft supplies, STEM toys, jewelry, natural face masks/scrubs, essential oils, Kashmiri/ Pashmina scarves
Here’s what small businesses on Amazon.in are saying about Prime Day:
• “We are highly excited for the upcoming Prime Day and even our artisans are absolutely exhilarated about the event, which is much ahead of the regular festive season in India. Moreover, this being a global event, the artisans have even volunteered to work day and night to meet timelines for Prime Day, something which they have never experienced” - Ravi Singh and Gunjeet Singh, Founders, Two Moustaches
• “We are very excited about exclusively launching an elegant and contemporary furniture range including pouffes, foam stools, nesting tables & shelves, as per international quality and standards, for Prime Customers this year,” Apoorva Baheti & Akash Mehta, Decostyle
• “We have spent a lot of time working on different types of products and planning with various vendors to figure out whom to partner with for the Prime Day exclusive launch. This is our first Prime Day event and ensuring seamless delivery for it across production, packaging and shipping has indeed been an operational milestone! We are really excited about this,” Anindita Sampath and Suhasini Sampath, Yoga Bars
• "Our team has been planning for a very long time for this launch on Prime Day. We’ve made sure that there is enough inventory for our bestsellers on Amazon.in. We’ve curated our catalog depending on the popular trends this season as well as the trends popular on Amazon," Shuchi Pandaya, Pipa Bella
• “As one of the fastest growing brands in the bedding space, we forecast our sales to jump up 55-60% on Prime Day, which is amazing considering we have broken all kind of sales records this year. Amazon as a channel has turbo charged our direct B2C efforts to bring the highest quality bedsheets at values no other channel can efficiently beat in the US,” Deepak Mehrotra, California Design Den
In addition to the jobs and investment created by these small and medium-sized businesses, Amazon itself is a major job creator and investor in communities around the globe. Since 2011, Amazon has invested over $150 billion worldwide, and created over 1.7 million direct and indirect jobs around the world. In 2017 alone, Amazon directly created more than 130,000 new jobs, not including acquisitions, bringing the company's global employee base to over 560,000. To learn more about Amazon and the millions of small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon.com, visit www.amazon.com/about.
Every Day Made Better with Prime
Prime was designed to make your life better every single day. Over 100 million paid members around the world enjoy the many benefits of Prime, including shopping and entertainment. In the U.S. that includes unlimited access to award-winning movies and TV episodes with Prime Video; unlimited access to Prime Music, Audible Channels for Prime, Prime Reading, Prime Photos, Twitch Prime; early access to select Lightning Deals, one free pre-released book a month with Amazon First Reads, and more. Prime members can also get deep discounts on select best-selling foods at Whole Foods Market plus an additional 10 percent off hundreds of sale items. Prime was built on the foundation of unlimited fast, free shipping and members receive Prime FREE One-Day Shipping and Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery in more than 8,000 cities and towns, two-hour delivery with Prime Now in more than 30 major cities and unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on more than 100 million items. Start a free trial of Amazon Prime at amazon.com/prime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Ltd, an affiliate of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, low prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class e-commerce marketplace.
For more information, visit https://www.aboutamazon.in
Join Amazon Newsroom: Twitter | Facebook
For more information contact: