Amazon’s First Annual Exports Digest Show Global Exports from Amazon Sellers up by 224%
Indore, Surat, Ahmedabad, Ghaziabad, Pune emerged as the leading non-metro cities with most international exporters
Home Décor, Handicrafts, Tapestries, Bedsheets, Duvet covers and Leather Messenger Bags were among the top categories exported
Delhi, March 14, 2018: Indian exporters on Amazon saw a massive 224% growth in their global exports business in 2017. Amazon's international marketplace saw a staggering rise of 500% in Indian products offered globally and 310% growth in Indian exporters using Amazon Global Fulfilment channel. Amazon Exports Digest 2017 was launched today at a joint event organized with FICCI on ‘Going Global through E-commerce Marketplace’, in the presence of Ms. Rita Teaotia, IAS, Commerce Secretary, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India, Mr. Radha Mohan Mishra, Additional Secretary & Development Commissioner, Ministry of MSME, Government of India. In its first edition, the Amazon Exports Digest 2017 insights reveal phenomenal increase in demand for Indian products abroad, growth of Indian exporters selling globally, and most popular product categories offered by Indian exporters abroad.
Amazon Exports Digest 2017 also features top Indian states & cities with international exporters and most popular product categories abroad. With exporters from 2047 pin-codes across India, Delhi, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh emerged as the leading states with most international exporters on Amazon. Home Décor, Tapestries, Home & Kitchen Linens, Dinnerware & Copper mugs, Ethnic wear and Women’s apparel witnessed a huge demand from international customers across ethnicities.
Year 2017 has been a milestone for the Amazon Global Selling program in India which has expanded exponentially with various partnerships with Government organizations and iconic India brands going global. Iconic Indian brands like Amul, Titan, Dabur and State Handlooms Bodies such as Tantuja and Jharcraft, have been launched globally along with over 32000 global exporters from India.
Gopal Pillai, GM and Director, Seller Services, Amazon India said, “India has immense manufacturing strength in categories like clothing & apparels, consumer electronics, books, leather products, gems & jewelry and media etc. that account for the majority of demand abroad. Since its launch in 2015 in India, Amazon’s Global Selling Program has opened ecommerce markets to Indian businesses allowing them to go global and showcase their ‘Made in India’ creations to the world, supporting government’s vision of establishing India as a global manufacturing hub. We are humbled by the progress this program has made and the selection added by Indian exporters across categories in multiple Amazon’s global marketplaces. With over 32000 sellers and 90 million+ products, it’s still Day 1 for us in India.”
Commenting on the study findings, Eric L. Broussard, Vice President and Head, International Seller Services, Amazon.com said, “Amazon Global Selling program was launched to help businesses in cross border exports seamlessly, allowing them to focus on global expansion and operations. Today, customers across 180 countries have access to millions of products listed on global Amazon marketplaces from India. For sellers, this is not just an additional marketplace to tap a new audience, but it also allows them to explore new and unconventional usage for their products abroad. From ghee being used with coffee, to printed bedsheets used as beach throws, Indian manufacturers have uncovered a whole new demand for their products. The opportunity is huge and this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are thousands whose lives we have touched and millions more still out there!”
Amazon Exports Digest 2017 highlights-
• Indian exporters saw a massive 224% growth in their global exports business in 2017
• Amazon's international marketplace saw a staggering rise of 500% in Indian products offered globally
• 310% growth in Indian exporters using Global Fulfilment by Amazon (Amazon’s own fulfillment channels)
• North-zone saw a 114% growth in exporters selling globally, followed by West-zone with a 112%, South-zone with a 81% growth and East-zone saw a 74% growth in the number of exporters selling globally
• Delhi, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh emerged as the states with most international exporters
• Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata topped the charts with most exporters along with emerging cities- Indore, Surat, Ahmedabad, Ghaziabad, Pune with exporters selling globally
Region-wise top product categories exported:
• North India - Home Décor, Tapestries, Arts, Craft & Sewing supplies, Health Care products & Kits, Bar & Beverage storage, Writing Instruments & Accessories
• South India - Home Décor, Wireless Accessories, Ethnic Wear & Women’s Dresses, Beverage & Storage, Tapestries, Bar, Arts, Craft & Sewing supplies
• East India - Home Décor, Ethnic Wear & Women’s Dresses, Arts, Craft & Sewing supplies, Dinnerware & Copper mugs, Tapestries, Writing Instruments & Accessories
• West India - Home Linens, Home Décor, Tapestries, Ethnic Wear & Women’s Dresses, Arts, Craft & Sewing supplies, Kitchen Linens
Top 5 cities in US from where Indian sellers are receiving maximum global orders from and the top Indian products bought in US:
• Top 5 cities - Brooklyn, Chicago, Houston, Miami, Los Angles
• Top Indian products - Accessories & decoration, Pens, Home storage & organization, Tea, Messenger bags
Top 5 cities in Europe from where Indian sellers are receiving maximum global orders from and the top Indian products bought in Europe:
• Top 5 cities - London, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Glasgow
• Top Indian products - Bed sheets, Decorative wall hangings, Laptop cases, Health, mind & body products, Duvet covers, Psychology & counselling
Top 5 cities in Japan from where Indian sellers are receiving maximum global orders from and the top Indian products bought in Japan:
• Top 5 cities - Tokyo, Yokohama, Setagaya-ku, Kobe, Kyoto
• Top Indian products - Computing Memory, Toy Guns, Dress-up dolls & Accessories, Fishing Tools, Medical Supplies & Equipment
Unconventional Usage of Indian Brands:
• Indian bedsheets have been adopted as beach towels, throws, and wall hangings
• Shudh ghee is favored by coffee connoisseurs to enhance the flavor of their blends
• Copper tumblers are being used to serve beer and cocktails
• And finally, India’s perennial soap Chandrika has carved a considerable niche as a lather for shaving beards
Launched in India in May 2015 with a few hundred sellers, Amazon’s Global Selling Program facilitates easy, simple and convenient access for all Indian sellers - including entrepreneurs, SMEs, manufacturers, artisans as well as large brands – to sell their products to consumers across the globe. The program has witnessed a significant rise in seller base as compared to last year with a total of over 32,000 Indian sellers currently on the platform selling globally across Amazon’s 10 global marketplaces. With over 90 million Indian products listed on Amazon’s global marketplaces, Global Sales has expanded selection of popular Indian products into several categories. The program has an impressive selection of products across categories with mammoth Indian brands such as Dabur, Titan, Himalaya, Manyavar, Amul, Liberty and to name a few.
The program offers a comprehensive suite of end-to-end solutions that include assisting sellers with services such as imaging, cataloging and logistics. Under Global Selling Program, Amazon has supporting content on its website on different international transactions and processes to help sellers understand the processes clearly. To enable sellers familiarize themselves with the tastes & preferences of the local country and to launch relevant selection, Amazon’s global selling team also help sellers understand the demand patterns in various countries. The team also gives guidance on how sellers can improve discoverability of their products on each marketplace. Some of this includes guidance on the type of deals they can run, the kind of advertisements they can run on these platforms and how they can use social media channels to drive awareness about their listings on the various marketplaces. Amazon is continually exploring opportunities to support the growth of Indian sellers, brands and artisans in the emerging digital economy by scaling the Global Selling Program.
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Ltd, an affiliate of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, low prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class e-commerce marketplace.
For more information, visit www.amazon.in/aboutus
Join Amazon Newsroom: Twitter | Facebook
Amazon.com is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.com.
For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews
For more information contact: