Amazon.in sees biggest shopping event ever
Smartphones and Large Appliances lead category growth; Prime remains bestseller
E-commerce in India grows with 85% new customers acquired from lower tier towns
Bengaluru, Sept 25, 2017: Amazon.in hosted its Great Indian Festival 21st to 24th September with a marathon of 96 hours of great deals on big brands offered by thousands of sellers. For the first time ever Prime members had 12 hours of early access and exclusive deals. With over 160 million products, Amazon scaled up its operations to 41 Fulfilment centers (FCs) to provide customers the best-ever shopping experience with India’s largest online shopping selection, continued promise of fast and reliable delivery and the widest India penetration.
“We are humbled that the latest version of the Great Indian sale was our biggest shopping event ever, with remarkable growth across categories led by Smartphones and Large Appliances growing multiple times vs last year. We are especially excited about growing e-commerce in India with more than 85% of new customers from small towns.” said Manish Tiwary, Vice President - Category Management, Amazon India.
“With Prime continuing to be our top selling product and customers shopping for everything from smartphones, TVs, Appliances to Fashion and Kitchen Appliances, Amazon has become the trusted destination for Indians to find, discover, and buy anything online.” He added.
in value over Diwali 2016
* over a normal day
Overall scale, Reach and customer response
• More new customers in newer towns and cities experienced Amazon shopping with 85% New Customer Acquisition in Tier II and III cities.
• Customers from the most remote parts of India voted for Amazon with orders from Leh(Diskit/Hunder/Turtuk), Minicoy, Kiltan,Kalpeni (Lakshadweep) ; Champin,Trinket, Mile Tilek(Andaman & Nicobar); Tirap(Arunachal) and Saiha(Mizoram).
• Project Udaan is Amazon.in’s assisted shopping program aimed at helping customers in remote areas who don’t have easy access to shop on Amazon.in. Amazon doubled the Udaan network in the last 4 weeks from 6k stores to 12k stores, now covering 21 states, 1000 towns and 2900 pin codes.
• Overall the Udaan network has grown 5x from last Diwali
• Average daily number of customers transacting on Udaan grew 29 times from last Diwali
• Sales from the Udaan network grew 12x from last Diwali
Prime continues to thrill customers
• Prime membership was the highest selling product increasing over 4X
• On Day 1 and 2, 1 in 3 orders came from a Prime member
• During Prime early access, there was a 50x increase in large appliances and TV sales
• Prime members are fans of Amazon Devices as they bought 9 out of every 10 Kindle devices sold during the first two days of the Great Indian Sale. Prime members also accounted for a 7x increase in new signups for Kindle Unlimited subscriptions.
• Prime members enjoyed free and fast delivery as 70% of the prime orders received on Day 1 and 2 had already been delivered by the third day of the event
• Fire TV sales were up by 20X
• The first two days were the largest ever sales days for Kindle e-Readers and saw a 20X increase
Categories customers loved
• Smartphones had 2.5 X growth led by Samsung (5x), Redmi (5x) and OnePlus(3X)
• Large appliances grew 4X in the first two days of the Great Indian Sale vs last Diwali led by LG (5X) Bosch (6X) and Whirlpool (6X). Washing machines and Refrigerators grew 4X & ACs grew 3X respectively.
• Televisions grew 2X backed by sales in TCL, Sanyo, BPL, Sony, LG, Panasonic and Samsung, Smart TV sales doubled over last year Diwali
• Kitchen Appliance sales grew by 8 times led by the sale of Bajaj, Philips, Morphy Richards, Kent, Prestige and Eureka Forbes
• Kitchen and dining products grew 9X led by key brands Cello, Prestige, Milton and Pigeon. Cookware category grew 14X led by cookware sets (17X) and Gas Stoves (15X)
• Furniture sales grew by 5 times the daily run rate led by exclusive ranges of Dining Sets, Sofa Beds and Recliners
• Home category clocked highest ever single day sale, growing 5X led by a 9X* growth in the sale of bedsheets and wall stickers
o Apparel continued its reign as one of the largest selling categories on Amazon. Amazon Exclusive – Under Armour grew 10X. Ethnic brands sold 5X more times given the festive season with customers buying top brands like W for Women, Biba and Myx.
o Sports Apparel & Shoes, sales grew 5X led by Puma, Fila
o Luggage and travel gear sold 8X more with products from brands like Tommy Hilfiger, American Tourister which offered irresistible deals to customers.
• Toy brands saw a huge spike led by Hot Wheels (15.5X),Barbie(6.5X), LEGO (5.9x) Funskool(4.8X), and Fitness became a style statement as the wearables segment saw a tremendous response with a 22X jump in Fitbit sales
• Customers loved Amazon’s imported Sports Nutrition brands Optimum Nutrition, Ultimate Nutrition leading to a 6X growth
• Customers shopped for Everyday Essentials and saved time to be with their loved ones
o 6X growth in beauty products led by Shampoos and Hair conditioners
o Daily use make up products were a big hit as eye make-up and lipsticks grew 5X and 4X each. Brands like Lakme and Maybelline were clear favourites!
o Deodorants & Fragrances saw a 7X growth led by Nivea, Park Avenue and Axe
Quirky facts from the Great Indian Festival
• Amazon Logistics saw a huge surge in packages – the distance covered while delivering these packages would be enough to cover the travel distance from the Earth to the moon and back 7 times!
• It’s definitely wanderlust time for babies as parents stocked up with Strollers, prams, car seats growing at 6X
• Looks like customers are getting groomed for the festive season as trimmers, shavers and hair styling tools sold 6X
• Showing us their undying love for Lego as customers bought enough Lego pieces to make a structure as tall as the Burj Khalifa!
• Vegetable Choppers were one of the most sold kitchen items - here’s to some great food as we approach the year’s biggest festivities!
• Its “sweet dreams” for customers as pillows saw a 15X jump in sales.
Amazon is making Shopping Affordable
• Number of customers adopting EMI increased 34x
• No Cost EMI saw a 48X increase in adoption by customers and of all EMI customers
• On Day 1 we saw 41X exchange orders**
• On Day 1 alone we saw almost as many exchange orders as were seen during the entire Diwali season in 2016
• On Day 1Buy Now Pay Next Year (EMI Holiday), accounted for 44% of overall EMI’s availed
For more information contact:
Amazon Seller Services Pvt. Ltd.
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Ltd, an affiliate of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, low prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class e-commerce marketplace. For more information, visit www.amazon.in/aboutus. Join Amazon Newsroom: Twitter | Facebook
Amazon.com is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.com. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews