- Paperback: 392 pages
- Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell; 2nd edition (1 October 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1405195630
- ISBN-13: 978-1405195638
- Product Dimensions: 16.8 x 2 x 24.1 cm
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #4,91,363 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Worldviews: An Introduction to the History and Philosophy of Science Paperback – 1 Oct 2010
There is a newer edition of this item:
Save Extra with 1 offer
- Cashback (3): Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 50 using BHIM UPI (available only on mobile app/website) or RuPay cards. Offer period 1st September to 30th September. Cashback will be credited as Amazon Pay balance within 15 days from purchase. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa debit card, credit card or ATM card. Only on your first 2 cashless orders on Amazon.in (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period 4th Sep to 30th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa Signature or Visa Infinite cards. Offer valid only once per customer (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period: 11th Sep to 24th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
Customers who bought this item also bought
"The book has great merits and is very readable, and beginners in history of science and philosophy of science will appreciate the wealth of information that it offers." (Aestimatio: Critical Reviews in the History of Science, 2011)
"Written in clear and comprehensible prose and supplemented by effective diagrams and examples, Worldviews is an ideal text for anyone new to the history and philosophy of science. As the reader will come to find out, DeWitt is a gifted writer with the unique ability to break down complex and technical concepts into digestible parts, making Worldviews a welcoming and not overwhelming book for the introductory reader." (History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences, vol. 28–2)
"The author is to be commended for the rare clarity of his writing, and for the truly impressive, most useful diagrams exemplifying many abstruse concepts and theses of quantum and relativistic theories. Unlike many other introductions to philosophy of science, DeWitt′s book is at once historically informative and philosophically thorough and rigorous. Chapter notes, suggested readings, and references enhance its value". (Choice)
"This is a brilliantly clear introduction (and indeed reframing) of the history and philosophy of science in terms of world–views and thier elements.... In addition, the book is incredibly well–informed from both a scientific and philosophical angle. Highly recommended." (Scientific and Medical Network)
"Quite simply, this is one of the most accessible and teachable introductions to the history and philosophy of science I′ve seen in over two decades of teaching. DeWitt′s exposition and discussion manifestly honed by extensive classroom teaching experience are exceptionally clear, and helpfully complimented by some of the best diagrams I′ve seen. DeWitt thus makes complex ideas and developments cogent and straightforward, especially for undergraduates and those approaching the history and philosophy of science for the first time."
Charles Ess, Drury University
"Richard DeWitt′s Worldviews is a splendid introductory text. It is organized around themes traditions and their overthrow geared to engage undergraduates. It is historically informed and philosophically sensible. Best of all, it abounds in examples skillfully drawn from the physical sciences and made accessible to the non–specialist. The philosophy of science students encounter through Worldviews will strike them as the philosophy of real science the science of Newton, Einstein, Copernicus, and Aristotle and not some denatured surrogate for science concocted by philosophers so that it might succumb to the tools of their trade."
Laura Ruetsche, University of Pittsburgh
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com