- Prime exclusive offer: Get 10% back. Load Amazon Pay balance of Rs.1000 or more and get 10% back up to a maximum of Rs.300 per customer. Offer valid from July 16th 12pm to July 17th. ADD BALANCE NOW Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
- 10% Instant Discount upto Rs. 1,750 with HDFC Cards for Prime members. Savings of upto Rs. 10,000 for purchases above Rs. 50,000 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Sydney (Lonely Planet City Guides) Paperback – Import, 1 Feb 2008
There is a newer edition of this item:
Special offers and product promotions
Lonely Planet guidebooks are, quite simply, like no others.' --New York Times
From the Publisher
Who We Are
At Lonely Planet, we see our job as inspiring and enabling travelers to connect with the world for their own benefit and for the benefit of the world at large.
What We Do
* We offer travelers the world's richest travel advice, informed by the collective wisdom of over 350 Lonely Planet authors living in 37 countries and fluent in 70 languages.
* We are relentless in finding the special, the unique and the different for travellers wherever they are.
*We update our guidebooks by visiting thousands of places in person to get the details right and tell it as it is.
* We always offer the trusted filter for those who are curious, open minded and independent.
* We challenge our growing community of travelers; leading debate and discussion about travel and the world.
* We tell it like it is without fear or favor in service of the travelers; not clouded by any other motive.
What We Believe
We believe that travel leads to a deeper cultural understanding and compassion and therefore a better world.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
I also an disappointed that my favorite dining spot from their 2008 small city guide was removed, Chinta Ria. Excellent Malaysian food, not sure why it was removed, it's great and reasonably priced.
1. Enough general information for everyone.
2. Map handout that you can pull out from the book.
3. Lots of summaries of excursions and what places to see.
1. Needs to have better descriptions of the top sights. For instance, get top 10 sites and directions how to get there.
As with the other City Guides from Lonely Planet that I have used, this one appears to be comprehensive. As one would expect, it would cover the things that most travel guides cover, such as lodging, food & drink, entertainment & attractions, and shopping. The Lonely Planet guides go beyond the standard information and include sections on city life, art, architecture, and history, and sections which help the traveler plan activities with sections on walking tours, and excursions that can be taken outside of the city.
This guide, like the other Lonely Planet guides that I have used, has been very helpful in my planning for my visit. Probably the most useful section to a first time traveler is the `Directory' section, which covers a wide range of topics from transportation, family concerns, climate, customs, information for travelers which are disabled, electricity, embassies, emergencies, and so much more. If you already have a Lonely Planet guide for Australia, then this section will not be of as much use, but it is always good to have the latest copy you can because some of the information changes or is added.
I have had very good success with the Lonely Planet guides, and I have every reason to believe after reading and using this one for my planning that this one will also turn out to be quite useful. There are guides which give you more visual information on Sydney, but in terms of written content I believe this one is near the top of the list.