- Paperback: 312 pages
- Publisher: Niyogi Books Private Limited (16 August 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9789386906595
- ISBN-13: 978-9386906595
- ASIN: 9386906597
- Package Dimensions: 21.8 x 14.1 x 1.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,25,329 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ ₹ 70.00 Delivery charge
+ FREE Delivery
+ ₹ 77.00 Delivery charge
Sita Returns: Modern India Through Her Eyes Paperback – 16 Aug 2018
Save Extra with 4 offers
- Cashback (2): Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa Signature or Visa Infinite cards. Shop during the Visa Shopping Days starting 20th to end of every month. Cashback within 3 days. Here's how
- Flat Rs.50 back Amazon Pay Balance on minimum order of Rs.50 using Amazon Pay UPI. For Android App customers only. Valid once during offer period. Cashback within 10 days. Set up Amazon Pay UPI Here's how
- No Cost EMI: No cost EMI available on Amazon Pay ICICI credit card on orders above Rs.3000 Here's how
- Bank Offer (3): 10% Instant Discount on IndusInd bank Credit EMI transactions Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount on Yes bank Credit EMI transactions Here's how
- 5% Instant discount with HSBC Cashback card Here's how
- Partner Offers (2): Avail EMI on Debit Cards. Get credit up to ₹1,00,000.Check eligibility here! Here's how
- Get GST invoice and save up to 28% on business purchases. Sign up for free Here's how
About the Author
Dr Charu WaliKhanna, former member of the National Commission for Women (NCW), is a leading human rights lawyer who currently practices in the Supreme Court of India. She founded Social Action Forum for Manav Adhikar (SAFMA), an NGO with Special Consultative Status with the ECOSOC of the United Nations, which works towards advancing the cause of vulnerable and marginalized sections of society, especially women.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Digging deeper though might leave you wondering and I expected that. Before I discuss the actual emotions it brings out, I would like to mention how wonderful the plot feels with smart poetry and Ramayana references which are done with proper research and in a way, that is interesting to even the not-so-fans of mythology (like myself).
This was a story where we follow the lady who is worshipped all over India but has to witness, on her return, an India which is anything but made for ladies. The struggles of women aren’t any surprises but sadly, they are the ones we stay ignorant towards, most of the time. We may think that the world has evolved to make it a better one for women but that isn’t the case in every segment of life. And this book does a brilliant job to express that.
The great career of the author herself polishes the book to a whole new level of significance in the modern world. The book’s cover is perfect for the theme of earth’s daughter. The plot flows in a way that will keep you hooked and also will give you time to reflect upon the content. Another great thing the author did is putting points to dig deeper after the end of every chapter so that the facts are clearly free from any fiction.
And I, Sita, am forever with you."
Name- Sita Returns: Modern India through her eyes
Written By- Charu Walikhanna
Published by- Niyogi Books
Sita, was the epitome of beauty, grace and every desirable qualities in a woman. Unknown to most, Sita had a fiery personality. She was well versed and questioned every wrongdoings.
Even though she accompanied Ram selflessly on his exile, she had to prove her chastity again and again till she decided it was enough.
The condition of modern women in India is no better. Even now females in some parts of the country are treated as second class citizens. Girl children deprived of their right to live, get nourishment and also education.
Sita returns draws parallel between the lives of Indian women in Sita's times to that of the lives of women in 21st century.
Sita as described by the author comes back to her native land to find the women bruised and defeated in this cruel society.
The beauty of this book lies in its narration. Sita as the narrator is what made the book outstanding.
The glimpses of Ramayana, from early life of sita to her married life to her struggles were my favourite parts from the book.
The author did a meticulous job by backing up her claims, data and statistics with proof.
Sita returns was indeed a wonderful read which I would recommend to all.
Thematically divided according to the chronological stages of a woman’s lifecycle, this study provides fresh approach to the existing discourse. Published under Paper Missile imprint of Niyogi Books, it provokes enough food for thought.