- Hardcover: 392 pages
- Publisher: VIZ Media LLC (19 December 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1421596938
- ISBN-13: 978-1421596938
- Product Dimensions: 14.6 x 3 x 21 cm
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ 90.00 Delivery charge
Shiver: Junji Ito Selected Stories Hardcover – 19 Dec 2017
Save Extra with 1 offer
- Cashback (4): Amazon Assistant: Rs 100 cashback on purchase of Rs 499 or more on Amazon Assistant. Click Here.(Valid only on purchases made on desktop/PC). Offer ends 26 Sep. Cashback in 10 days. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 50 using BHIM UPI (available only on mobile app/website) or RuPay cards. Offer period 1st September to 30th September. Cashback will be credited as Amazon Pay balance within 15 days from purchase. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa debit card, credit card or ATM card. Only on your first 2 cashless orders on Amazon.in (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period 4th Sep to 30th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa Signature or Visa Infinite cards. Offer valid only once per customer (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period: 11th Sep to 24th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
Junji Ito made his professional manga debut in 1987 and since then has gone on to be recognized as one of the greatest contemporary artists working in the horror genre. His titles include Tomie and Uzumaki, which have been adapted into live-action films; Gyo, which was adapted into an animated film; and Fragments of Horror, and all are available from VIZ Media. Ito’s influences include classic horror manga artists Kazuo Umezu and Hideshi Hino, as well as authors Yasutaka Tsutsui and H. P. Lovecraft.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
Related items to consider
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Here are the stories included in this collection: Used Record, Shiver, Fashion Model, Hanging Blimp, Painter (this is a Tomie story), The Long Dream, Honored Ancestors, Greased (one of the grossest Ito stories, at least visually!), and a previously unpublished new story called Fashion Model: Cursed Frame. After every story there is a short commentary section with sketches, explaining inspirations behind the stories. Think of this as a greatest hits type of book, with a wide variety of stories. If you like this, definitely check out the Tomie/Uzumaki/Gyo collections!
But even to a long time follow of Junji Ito's work, the collection doesn't offer very much. The authors notes and commentary are half page interludes and a couple of rough sketches that don't really add much to experience. Considering the wild and truly bizarre material that's being covered, a deeper dive into the works would have gone a long way. While getting a collection of newly licensed and translated works is great, if you've already picked up a few of his other works, you'll spot a duplicate. There's a story that's already a part of the Tomie collection, which wouldn't too big of a deal except Shiver could have used some stronger pieces in the collection that could have made it flow a little better. This is only a must have for the diehard completionists, except they'll be upset over the duplicate, and they'll be upset that the binding doesn't match any of the other collections, so it'll stick out like a sore thumb on your shelf.
Ito is a master of the page turn, usually leaving the last box on a page with something about to happen. Turning to the next page and seeing the whole entire page used for an amazing visual up never gets old, and Ito has mastered the technique.
Flipping through the pages is a better way to experience these stories but that's just a personal opinion. If you are a fan of his work you probably already own Tomie, Uzumaki, Gyo, Fragments of Horror and more. If not you should definitely check those out too. Shiver is a must by for any fan.
Best stories are the Long Dream which is actually fascinating, and the family of puppets story, which is strikingly sad in a way I can't fully describe. Worst is definitely the Oil Index one which was just GROSS!
Overall these comics are addictive though, would love to see more on Kindle (btw, these are surprsingly readable on a Kindle Paperwhite).