- Paperback: 496 pages
- Publisher: RHUS (31 October 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0553381008
- ISBN-13: 978-0553381009
- Product Dimensions: 13.2 x 2.7 x 20.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 3 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #87,514 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Selected Stories of Anton Chekhov (Modern Library Classics) Paperback – 31 Oct 2000
Save Extra with 1 offer
- Cashback (4): Amazon Assistant: Rs 100 cashback on purchase of Rs 499 or more on Amazon Assistant. Click Here.(Valid only on purchases made on desktop/PC). Offer ends 26 Sep. Cashback in 10 days. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 50 using BHIM UPI (available only on mobile app/website) or RuPay cards. Offer period 1st September to 30th September. Cashback will be credited as Amazon Pay balance within 15 days from purchase. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa debit card, credit card or ATM card. Only on your first 2 cashless orders on Amazon.in (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period 4th Sep to 30th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa Signature or Visa Infinite cards. Offer valid only once per customer (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period: 11th Sep to 24th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
“Theirs is an adagio reading, distinctive and fresh, that returns to us a work we thought we knew, subtly altered and so made new again.”—The Washington Post Book World, on Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky’s translation of The Brothers Karamazov
Text: English (translation)
Original Language: Russian
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Selected Stories of Anton Chekhov translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky will keep readers on their toes, as some situations can be a bit odd. However, the concepts of lost love, jobs that are unsatisfying, and husbands who become strangers to their wives are issues that persist even today.
For some reason, Amazon has misleadingly grouped a different digital edition of this text with the Modern Library (Pevear/Volokhonsky) edition. The Modern Library edition's front page has a Kindle link to an entirely different digital edition (the one costing $2.99), bearing no imprint or listed translators. If you want to buy the actual Modern Library text as an ebook, you have to click the link to view all formats and editions near the top, and then expand the Kindle listings to find the Modern Library ebook, with a price of $9.99.
I don't know whether the $2.99 edition is any good or not, but Pevear and Volokhonsky are reputed to be the standard-setters for all modern translations of Russian literature. Don't let the organization of the product page trick you into buying something inferior. Linking to this other obscure edition from the Modern Library edition's product page is dishonest and, especially with the much lower presented price, appears to be a trap for unwary or unsavvy customers.
Also worth a mention is that the translators for this book are superb. I believe they have captured Chekhov with uncanny accuracy.