- Reading level: 7 - 9 years
- Hardcover: 160 pages
- Publisher: Sterling; New edition edition (26 July 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1402713193
- ISBN-13: 978-1402713194
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 1.9 x 20.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 79 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #81,620 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Secret Garden (Classic Starts) Hardcover – Abridged, 26 Jul 2007
Humour Books for ChildrenDo you love humorous reads? Explore our wide varieties of humorous books for children. Shop now
Save Extra with 1 offer
- Cashback (4): Amazon Assistant: Rs 100 cashback on purchase of Rs 499 or more on Amazon Assistant. Click Here.(Valid only on purchases made on desktop/PC). Offer ends 26 Sep. Cashback in 10 days. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 50 using BHIM UPI (available only on mobile app/website) or RuPay cards. Offer period 1st September to 30th September. Cashback will be credited as Amazon Pay balance within 15 days from purchase. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa debit card, credit card or ATM card. Only on your first 2 cashless orders on Amazon.in (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period 4th Sep to 30th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa Signature or Visa Infinite cards. Offer valid only once per customer (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period: 11th Sep to 24th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
As for amazon, outstanding service as always! book was delivered in 2 days time. I bought the hardback edition and the cover art is simply beautiful!
Misselthwaite and Mr Craven prove even more mysterious and odd than Mary could have imagined: the house is vast and daunting, its master morose and miserable from the death of his beloved wife ten years earlier. Mary, already inclined to dislike everything and everybody around, is settling into deeper gloom when she discovers the secret garden - the late Mrs Craven's favourite garden, which her grieving husband locked up after her death, and which is off bounds to all now. But within the secret garden lies the key to life, to strength and happiness and coming back, metaphorically, from the dead.
And, just as Mary and her weak, invalid cousin Colin discover - with the help of sundry friends, especially the startlingly able Dickon, who can almost converse with animals and birds - misery and helplessness and despair can be turned around. Magic lies in the land and within ourselves; sometimes all it needs is a little nudging, some self-belief, and a willingness to let nature work its charm.
I thought this book a sweet little one, the garden - seemingly dead and forsaken at first glance (much like Mary and Colin and even Mr Craven, in their individual ways) - a good allegory for life and health and hope returning to where there was only despondency and despair. The author's love for nature, for plants and animals, shines through throughout her writing. I suppose I might have liked this more if I were younger (and possibly not Indian - Burnett's constant references to the unrelenting heat of India and the absence of spring tired me; she doesn’t seem to recall that nearly all the English spent their summers in the hill stations, and that spring is very much a part of India’s climate).
Read this book or Buy this book for your child! He/She will read the book in one or two sittings.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews