Other Sellers on Amazon
63% positive over last 12 months
+ ₹65.00 Delivery charge
86% positive over last 12 months
Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet or computer – no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle for Web.
Using your mobile phone camera, scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Follow the Author
The Second Sex (Vintage Feminism Short Edition) (Vintage Feminism Short Editions) Paperback – 23 March 2015
Save Extra with 3 offers
10 days Replacement
|Replacement Reason||Replacement Period||Replacement Policy|
| Defective, |
Wrong and Missing Item
|10 days from delivery||Replacement|
Purchase options and add-ons
Frequently bought together
Special offers and product promotions
- Additional Flat INR 1000 Instant Discount on HDFC Bank Credit Card EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 50000 Here's how
- Additional Flat INR 1000 Instant Discount on HDFC Bank Credit Card EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 30000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 500 on HDFC Bank Debit Card Non-EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1000 on HDFC Bank Credit Card Non-EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1500 on HDFC Bank Debit Card EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1500 on HDFC Bank Credit Card EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 5% Instant Discount up to INR 250 on HSBC Cashback Card Credit Card Transactions. Minimum purchase value INR 1000 Here's how
- No cost EMI available on select cards. Please check 'EMI options' above for more details. Here's how
- Get GST invoice and save up to 28% on business purchases. Sign up for free Here's how
Discovering The Second Sex was like an explosion in my skull, shattering illusions bred in a conventional fifties childhood...Re-reading the book now I realise how much of it is still entirely relevant, and that (despite advances) women are as much in need of liberation as ever -- Bel Mooney
De Beauvoir was not just a genius as a theorist. She dared to live it. Challenging conventional marriage and sexual practice, she used her own experience to explore the emotional costs of jealousy, attachment, monogamy, bohemianism, sexuality, of love -- Susie Orbach
A fine piece of work, a lucid translation ― Independent
A fresh, much expanded, more intelligible book which repays re-reading by adherents of the old version, and cries out for attention from young women who have not been exposed to this most powerful of feminist thinkers ― Irish Times
About the Author
Simone de Beauvoir was born in Paris in 1908. In 1929 she became the youngest person ever to obtain the agrégation in philosophy at the Sorbonne, placing second to Jean-Paul Sartre. She taught at the lycées at Marseille and Rouen from 1931–1937, and in Paris from 1938–1943. After the war, she emerged as one of the leaders of the existentialist movement, working with Sartre on Les Temps Mordernes. The author of several books including The Mandarins (1957) which was awarded the Prix Goncourt, de Beauvoir was one of the most influential thinkers of her generation. She died in 1986.
Constance Borde and Sheila Malovany-Chevallier have lived in Paris for over forty years and are both graduates of Rutgers University, New Jersey. Borde was on the faculty of the Institut d'Etudes Politiques and has been chair and vice-chair of American Democrats Abroad. Malovany-Chevallier was a full- time faculty member at the Institut d'Etudes Politiques and continues to teach American literature. They have been translating books and articles on social science, art and feminist literature for twenty-five years and have jointly authored numerous books in French on subjects ranging from grammar to politics to American cooking.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
- ASIN : 1784870382
- Publisher : Vintage Classics (23 March 2015)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 144 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9781784870386
- ISBN-13 : 978-1784870386
- Item Weight : 81 g
- Dimensions : 11 x 0.8 x 17.8 cm
- Country of Origin : India
- Best Sellers Rank: #10,534 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #49 in Political Theory
- #241 in Society & Culture (Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Reviewed in India on 5 March 2020
Reviews with images
Top reviews from India
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
language can get very frilly and over the top but if you can get past that it has some gems.
Reviewed in India 🇮🇳 on 5 March 2020
Worth spending money
Top reviews from other countries
I am sure a lot of people will roll their eyes at my stupidity but I do feel that - instead of assuming people will understand - the seller should explain clearly *in the description* that what buyers will receive is just a few key chapters of a much larger work.