- Paperback: 1056 pages
- Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks; (4th Edition) edition (15 April 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0062227351
- ISBN-13: 978-0062227355
- Product Dimensions: 17.8 x 4.2 x 22.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
#1,34,245 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #138 in Books > Society & Social Sciences > Psychology > Neuropsychology
- #144 in Books > Sciences, Technology & Medicine > Medicine > Basic Sciences > Neuroscience
- #227 in Books > Textbooks & Study Guides > Higher Education Textbooks > Science & Mathematics > Biology & Life Sciences > Anatomy & Physiology
The Owner's Manual for the Brain (4th Edition): The Ultimate Guide to Peak Mental Performance at All Ages Paperback – 15 Apr 2014
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
“A wonderful combination of coffee-table book, engaging and informative reading experience, and handy reference. ... it resembles Carl Sagan’s popular works.” (Booklist)
“Targeting an audience of lifelong learners... [it] offers a variety of ideas and perspectives and some excellent reading lists for the general reader.” (Library Journal)
”An intriguing book! I’m impressed with the author’s knowledge of current research and his ability to effectively translate it for the general reader.” (Gordon Claridge, Ph.D., Emeritus Professor, Psychology Department, University of Oxford)
“Bridges the gap between the findings of neuropsychological research and their application by the general public. Humane clarity and practicality are the hallmarks of Dr. Howard’s work. A book to be read -- and applied.” (Peter J. Fagan, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Director, Office of USFHP, Behavioral Healthcare, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institute)
“This useful look at all the facets of the brain and its inner workings will be an excellent resource for those curious about how this organ works and for those looking for a more readable interpretation of the scientific studies done on it.” (Library Journal)
From the Back Cover
Cutting-edge, user-friendly, and comprehensive: the revolutionary guide to the brain, now fully revised and updated
At birth each of us is given the most powerful and complex tool of all time: the human brain. And yet, as we well know, it doesn't come with an owner's manual—until now. In this unsurpassed resource, Dr. Pierce J. Howard and his team distill the very latest research and clearly explain the practical, real-world applications to our daily lives. Drawing from the frontiers of psychology, neurobiology, and cognitive science, yet organized and written for maximum usability, The Owner's Manual for the Brain, Fourth Edition, is your comprehensive guide to optimum mental performance and well-being. It should be on every thinking person's bookshelf.
- What are the ingredients of happiness?
- Which are the best remedies for headaches and migraines?
- How can we master creativity, focus, decision making, and willpower?
- What are the best brain foods?
- How is it possible to boost memory and intelligence?
- What is the secret to getting a good night's sleep?
- How can you positively manage depression, anxiety, addiction, and other disorders?
- What is the impact of nutrition, stress, and exercise on the brain?
- Is personality hard-wired or fluid?
- What are the best strategies when recovering from trauma and loss?
- How do moods and emotions interact?
- What is the ideal learning environment for children?
- How do love, humor, music, friendship, and nature contribute to well-being?
- Are there ways of reducing negative traits such as aggression, short-temperedness, or irritability?
- What is the recommended treatment for concussions?
- Can you delay or prevent Alzheimer's and dementia?
- What are the most important ingredients to a successful marriage and family?
- What do the world's most effective managers know about leadership, motivation, and persuasion?
- Plus 1,000s more topics!
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
- Brain diseases, how to deal with them.
- How to feed your brain for optimum performance.
- How to approach situations depending on the personality of other people.
- Amazing leadership information.
- Amazing performance information.
To simplify: It gives you fact- (study-)based information, then it asks "so what?," and then answers that question. It's a cross between functionality and theory. Easy to read, hard to put down.
Great information in digestible bites for professional of interested lay-person alike!