- Paperback: 288 pages
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing (11 February 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1408862832
- ISBN-13: 978-1408862834
- Product Dimensions: 15.3 x 23.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1,35,618 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Mime Order Paperback – 11 Feb 2015
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
Samantha Shannon was born in west London in 1991. She started writing at the age of fifteen. Between 2010 and 2013 she studied English Language and Literature at St Anne's College, Oxford. In 2013 she published The Bone Season, the first in a seven book series. The Bone Season was a New York Times, a Sunday Times and an Asian Age bestseller, was picked as a Book of the Year by the Daily Mail, Stylist and Huffington Post and was named one of Amazon's 2013 Best Books of the Year. It has been translated into twenty-eight languages and the film rights have been acquired by The Imaginarium Studios and 20th Century Fox. In 2014, Samantha Shannon was included on the Evening Standard's Power 1000 list. The Mime Order is her second novel.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
*if you found this review helpful please thumbs up & if you have any questions - Ask.*
In a nutshell, HELLO NEW FAVOURITE SERIES.
Like I explained in my review of The Bone Season, I initially read the book over three years ago and being the YOUNG INEXPERIENCED SOUL THAT I WAS, I barely focused on the plot and instead skipped forward to ANY AND ALL #Paiden scenes. (I WAS FIFTEEN. SPARE ME YOUR JUDGEMENT.) and during my re-read of this LOVELY, I fell in love (once again) with Paige, Warden and also EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS BOOK.
So, in the span of a few hours after I finished The Bone Season, I read BOTH novellas that the lovely Samantha Shannon has released (The Pale Dreamer and On The Merits of Unnaturalness) and the JUMPED into The Mime Order.
I had to give this book a 4.5 stars and not a four PURELY because the beginning frustrated me a little, with Paige being indecisive about going back to the Seven Dials (when me, you and every Voyant in London knew she would) – it just seemed like a very pointless first few chapters, even though I LOVED THE FACT THAT I WAS STILL A TEMPORARY MEMBER IN THIS WORLD.
THINGS THAT WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO DIVE INTO THIS SERIES:
1. THE ORDERS OF CLAIRVOYANCE: You will NEVER see a more brilliantly thought out plot than the orders (types) of Clairvoyants and also all of their different powers. Even though I read the guidebook, there are SO MANY and their powers are ALL BRILLIANT IN SUCH DIFFERENT WAYS, I loved slowly getting to know them and also bring immersed in their world.
2. A POWERFUL, REAL HEROINE: I loved Paige in this book, but NOT AS MUCH as in The Bone Season. She seemed to gain this sort of… Special Snowflake complex (you know, the one where the protagonist believes that he/ she is THE ONLY PERSON who can save the day.) but not so much that it got to me. I LOVED HOW SHE EXPLORED THE CONFINES OF HER DREAMWALKING ABILITIES, and how much better the got at it. While she was a slight special snowflake, it honestly didn’t matter because she was GENUINE, AFRAID AND ALSO FEARLESS and I couldn’t help but love her.
'We looked at each other for a long time. So much had happened in the weeks since the escape. We'd never met on neutral ground before.'"
3. ALL THE PAIGE AND WARDEN AWESOMENESS: While Warden was in Paige’s thoughts some of the time, IT NEVER EVER FELT LIKE PINING or some unrequited crush. They are unapologetically opposites that have this alliance that EVERYONE knows is turning into something more, but it is so BRILLIANT as they fight for their individual causes, and then also together and FOR EACH OTHER. *swoons*
'It's not that I don't want you. Only that I might want you too much. And for too long.'"
4. THE POLITICS AND THE CRIMINALS AND JAXON HALL: THIS BOOK IS SET IN THE CRIMINAL SYNDICATE OF LONDON. Have I NOT said that? If you loved Six Of Crows and Crooked Kingdom and ALL OF THE BRILLIANT Dialogue, this series is EVEN BETTER. Jaxon Hall, the Syndicate and the Unnatural Assembly with their politics, greed, murder and power will have you ITCHING FOR MORE.
I will now stop my rant where I’ve used the word ‘Brilliant’ one time too many, but seriously, THIS SERIES IS SO WORTH DIVING INTO.
Power, Greed, Freedom, Politics and Betrayal come together to form this MARVEL of a book that will suck you in and make you want to stay.
Amidst all these tiresome scenarios, Paige and Jaxon are thrust together in what is to be a bloodbath for power. With no better timing and to make herself heard, she ventures down a road that would probably lead to more harm than good. But for the betterment of the voyant society, Paige Mahoney, the Pale Dreamer is ready to set aside her morals if it so be.
Throughout this book, Paige has been injured so many times, I literally lost count. It only speaks for how reckless and brave she is, when she has to save someone she cares about. The beginning few chapters weren’t as captivating as the entire first book had been. Things sort of mellowed down, once Paige and the other voyants reached London. Maybe its a given that after the roller-coaster they’d been through, they needed a breather. But I wasn’t being pulled to read it. Nevertheless it does pick up pace after awhile. In a clairvoyant society, matters can never be peaceful for long. We get a glimpse into Warden’s mind and see a more softer side to him in this book.
I did find a couple of loopholes in the novel. Don’t know if its my mistake, but I’m certain I went through the sections twice to ensure otherwise. Apart from that, the author’s writing style continues to be vivid and brilliant. Now that Scion has put up Paige as a “most wanted” criminal, anything that goes wrong in the citadel is always pinned to be her fault. Which adds more messy situations to the already full plate Paige is holding. This one is definitely another suspense ridden book which keeps you on your toes. I was silent-screaming with shock and thrill so many times during the multiple parts of this ginormous volume. Slightly less better then the first book but still extremely good!
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?