Top positive review
Compact Soundbar with Decent Sound Quality
6 October 2018
I purchased this JBL BAR STUDIO 2.0 - Channel Soundbar with Bluetooth for Rs. 7200 approx. (including instant cashback) during some amazon sale. The MRP is Rs 11990.
The box comes with
1. a single unit sound bar,
2. a tiny remote control,
3. an AC power cord with adapter
4. an Optical cable,
5. an AUX cable,
6. two wall mount brackets and a pair of screws,
7. warranty card and quick start guide etc.
I have attached this through HDMI ARC port to my LeEco Super X43 Pro TV, which is a 43 inches 4K android TV. This soundbar has definitely improved my TV's sound a lot.
I didn't want to buy a soundbar with separate bass / woofer and satellite speakers as they are hard to place in different places in the room, and makes the room cluttered with wires. Obviously, the costlier 5.1 soundbars with separate woofer and 3 or 4 satellite speakers would give you more cinematic surround sound with better bass, but I just needed a soundbar which will improve my TV's sound and which will be slim and compact... and I must say that I am happy with this soundbar.
1. Design: Compact single unit soundbar. Dimensions are approximately (24 x 3.5x 2 inches) LxBxH. This soundbar looks classy and minimalistic.
2. Sound: The most important thing of a soundbar is obviously it's sound-quality. Regarding that, this compact Soundbar does an impressive job. Your TV's sound will be greatly enhanced. JBL-Harman sound means you can expect fuller and more rich sounds. Decent bass and clarity. There are 5 presets, among which the Movie Mode with Surround Sound is fantastic, you will feel somewhat like a cinema hall sound. Of course, this soundbar has Dolby Audio. The sound output is enough for the living room. The total maximum power is 30W. There are two small 2" bass radiators (woofers) and a pair of 1.5" tweeters inside the Soundbar which are capable of producing balanced sound quality. No distortion even at highest volume.
3. Connectivity : Multiple connectivity.
It has the latest HDMI ARC, if your TV has HDMI ARC port then you should prefer this to connect as you will have the best quality sound and you would be able to control the volume up /down through the TV remote... you don't need to use the Soundbar's remote.
If you don't have HDMI ARC in your tv ..... then you can use the OPTICAL port. That will provide equally good sound quality.
If you want to use this soundbar with a relatively old TV, which lacks of these connectors, you can always use the good old 3.5 mm AUX port.
The Bluetooth option is there, so it is very helpful if we like to play music with any Bluetooth phone or devices. Sound output through Bluetooth is great.
An optical cable and an AUX cable are supplied with the soundbar.
4. Installation : Very easy. You just need to drill two holes in your wall if you want wall mounting. The brackets and the screws are packed inside the box.
5. JBL - Harman Branding : They are known for best quality sound systems. This soundbar also is no exception. This Soundbar comes with one year warranty.
6. Pricing : There are not so many options of reliable soundbars in this price range of sub 10 k. There is Mi soundbar which is not available in India and that does not have a remote control. There is a Blaupunt soundbar which is otherwise good but lacks reliability and that has a separate bass unit. That doesn't have the fineness of JBL quality sound. So if you are getting this JBL Soundbar in a deal, blindly go for it. You won't regret.
7. Low Electricity Consumption : As this has just 30W max. sound output and intelligent standby mode ( it will automatically get into power saving standby mode if there's no audio signal) it will be very low on electricity consumption.
1. No HDMI cable is given with the soundbar, so you have to purchase it. I recommend using amazon basics HDMI cables... they are of excellent quality with latest standard.
2. The surround sound is a bit artificial, I think you can't expect life like concert room sound from these small speakers. The maximum volume is suitable only for the living room, certainly NOT recommended for halls. It is a kind of improved and larger version of good Bluetooth speakers. Still, this speaker is best in its class.
If you need flawless bass and treble with excellent surround sound then you better think about costlier 5.1 soundbars.
DON'T EXPECT to get glass shattering bass or pitch perfect treble. Remember, this is NOT a 5.1 home theater sound system. This soundbar will definitely enhance your TV's sound both in terms of quality and power. Keep your expectations in realistic domains and you will surely be satisfied with this soundbar. Trust me.
3. (Not a con, actually) The remote has a thin plastic inside the button-power Cell compartment, Do not Forget to remove this plastic before using the remote. Otherwise, it won't work.
4. My own issues with HDMI ARC : Though I can control my TV's sound through the TV remote control (while connected through the HDMI ARC), I am facing two problems. I cannot set my TV's output permanently to External Speakers, each time I have to manually reset the TV's sound output settings... and the remote control is working in twos when I increase or decrease the sound... (meaning, after 50, I am getting 52 and so on)... This might be a problem with my TV's software and not of the soundbar...I am not sure.
5. The UGLY adapter : This soundbar could not be connected directly to the power socket. There is an adapter supplied with this soundbar to connect with the AC switch board power supply. This certainly adds up to the clumsy clutter of wires and sh*ts that I hate. JBL should use a normal power cord instead of this box-like power adapter in between. If compactness is the point of attraction of this soundbar, then this is certainly unacceptable.
6. There is no Digital Display. This soundbar has just a few LED light indicators.
My verdict : If you have a budget less than 10k and you want a slim and compact one-piece soundbar for your TV.... this is your best choice.
You may ask me any questions regarding this. I would be happy to help you.
Please like my review if you find it useful. Thank you.