- Paperback: 360 pages
- Publisher: Orient BlackSwan; First edition (2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9788125036845
- ASIN: 8125036849
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 2.1 x 21.7 cm
- Average Customer Review: 1,011 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #146 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
History of Modern India Paperback – 2009
Save Extra with 4 offers
- Cashback: Flat Rs.50 back Amazon Pay Balance on minimum order of Rs.50 using Amazon Pay UPI. For Android App customers only. Valid once during offer period. Cashback within 10 days. Set up Amazon Pay UPI Here's how
- No Cost EMI: No cost EMI available on Amazon Pay ICICI credit card on orders above Rs.3000 Here's how
- Bank Offer (2): Get 1500 Instant Discount on ICICI bank Credit and Debit EMI transactions Here's how
- 5% Instant discount with HSBC Cashback card Here's how
- Partner Offers (2): Avail EMI on Debit Cards. Get credit up to ₹1,00,000.Check eligibility here! Here's how
- Get GST invoice and save up to 28% on business purchases. Sign up for free Here's how
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
The book is relatively concise when compared to books on the same topic by other authors. It captures the holistic view of not only struggle for independence but also the later Mughal period (post Aurangzeb), the decline of central authority, rise of regional satraps and the domination of tribes from Afghanistan. Those who are preparing for Civil Services should definitely go through this book twice or thrice, especially as in the new pattern the history syllabus will begin from the mid-18th century instead of mid-19th century, as was the case earlier. --Kavinder Negi on 06 Mar 2013
this book gives a brief description about the events happened chronologically and so easy to get the writings of the author... one should read it --Ankit Bala on 22 Feb 2015
It is the must book for all IAS aspirants. Written in very Lucid language, like a story very interesting to read. This book made history easy for student like me of engineering background. --Abhi Sinha on 07 Feb 2015
About the Author
Bipan Chandra is a renowned author and historian from India. Apart from this book, Chandra has written a number of other books, and they include Essays on Colonialism, The Epic Struggle, Communalism in Modern India, The Rise And Growth Of Economic Nationalism In India: Economic Policies Of Indian National Leadership, Indian National Movement: The Long Term Dynamics, and In The Name Of Democracy: The JP Movement And The Emergency. Chandra was born in Himachal Pradesh, and he completed his schooling from Forman Christian College in Lahore. He completed his degree from Stanford University, USA, and went on to earn a doctorate from the University of Delhi. For several years, Chandra served as a professor at Hindu College, Delhi. Later, he taught history at Jawaharlal Nehru University. In the year 1985, he was selected to be the General President of the Indian History Congress. He has also served as the Chairman of the National Book Trust, New Delhi. Chandra has also been a part of the University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
1,011 customer reviews
Review this product
Read reviews that mention
Showing 1-8 of 1,011 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I am unhappy because I had ordered 3 book together to save delivery charges.Now I have to order again and pay delivery charges as the book was incomplete, for no fault of mine :(