- Paperback: 360 pages
- Publisher: Orient BlackSwan; First edition (2009)
- Language: English
- ASIN: 8125036849
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 2.1 x 21.7 cm
- Average Customer Review: 717 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #43 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
History of Modern India Paperback – 2009
Save Extra with 1 offer
- Cashback (3): Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 50 using BHIM UPI (available only on mobile app/website) or RuPay cards. Offer period 1st September to 30th September. Cashback will be credited as Amazon Pay balance within 15 days from purchase. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa debit card, credit card or ATM card. Only on your first 2 cashless orders on Amazon.in (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period 4th Sep to 30th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa Signature or Visa Infinite cards. Offer valid only once per customer (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period: 11th Sep to 24th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
The book is relatively concise when compared to books on the same topic by other authors. It captures the holistic view of not only struggle for independence but also the later Mughal period (post Aurangzeb), the decline of central authority, rise of regional satraps and the domination of tribes from Afghanistan. Those who are preparing for Civil Services should definitely go through this book twice or thrice, especially as in the new pattern the history syllabus will begin from the mid-18th century instead of mid-19th century, as was the case earlier. --Kavinder Negi on 06 Mar 2013
this book gives a brief description about the events happened chronologically and so easy to get the writings of the author... one should read it --Ankit Bala on 22 Feb 2015
It is the must book for all IAS aspirants. Written in very Lucid language, like a story very interesting to read. This book made history easy for student like me of engineering background. --Abhi Sinha on 07 Feb 2015
About the Author
Bipan Chandra is a renowned author and historian from India. Apart from this book, Chandra has written a number of other books, and they include Essays on Colonialism, The Epic Struggle, Communalism in Modern India, The Rise And Growth Of Economic Nationalism In India: Economic Policies Of Indian National Leadership, Indian National Movement: The Long Term Dynamics, and In The Name Of Democracy: The JP Movement And The Emergency. Chandra was born in Himachal Pradesh, and he completed his schooling from Forman Christian College in Lahore. He completed his degree from Stanford University, USA, and went on to earn a doctorate from the University of Delhi. For several years, Chandra served as a professor at Hindu College, Delhi. Later, he taught history at Jawaharlal Nehru University. In the year 1985, he was selected to be the General President of the Indian History Congress. He has also served as the Chairman of the National Book Trust, New Delhi. Chandra has also been a part of the University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I am unhappy because I had ordered 3 book together so to save delivery chargea.Now I have to order again and pay delivery charges as the book was incomplete, and no fault of mine :(
Most recent customer reviews
It is from writer bipin chandra and he describes history like story
Overall best book for modern history after this book u can read rajiv ahir...Read more