- Paperback: 240 pages
- Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company; Reprint edition (13 March 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0393350606
- ISBN-13: 978-0393350609
- Product Dimensions: 14.2 x 1.8 x 21.1 cm
- Average Customer Review: 19 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #10,75,573 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Other Sellers on Amazon
Includes Import Fees Deposit
+ 496.03 Delivery charge
Family Life – A Novel Paperback – 13 Mar 2015
Save Extra with 1 offer
- Cashback (3): Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 50 using BHIM UPI (available only on mobile app/website) or RuPay cards. Offer period 1st September to 30th September. Cashback will be credited as Amazon Pay balance within 15 days from purchase. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa debit card, credit card or ATM card. Only on your first 2 cashless orders on Amazon.in (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period 4th Sep to 30th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa Signature or Visa Infinite cards. Offer valid only once per customer (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period: 11th Sep to 24th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Outstanding…Every page is alive and surprising, proof of [Sharma’s] huge, unique talent. — David Sedaris
Riveting… Sharma is compassionate but unflinching. — Sonali Deraniyagala (The New York Times Book Review)
Dark humor twines through Sharma’s unforgettable story of survival and its costs. — Mary Pols (People)
Surface simplicity and detachment are the hallmarks of this novel, but hidden within its small, unembellished container are great torrents of pity and grief. Sedulously scaled and crafted, it transforms the chaos of trauma into a glowing work of art. — The Wall Street Journal
I lost all track of time while I was reading it, and felt by the end that I’d returned from a great and often harrowing journey… To my own surprise, I found myself renewed after reading it, and imbued with a feeling of hope. — John Wray (Salon)
Sharma spent 13 years writing this slim novel, and the effort shows in each lucid sentence and heartbreaking detail. — Stephen Lee (Entertainment Weekly)
A heartbreaking novel-from-life… [Sharma] takes after Hemingway, as each word of his brilliant novel feels deliberate, and each line is quietly moving. — Maddie Crum (Huffington Post)
There's nothing like the pleasure of being devastated by a short novel. Like Jhumpa Lahiri, Akhil Sharma writes of the Indian immigrant experience with great empathy and a complete lack of sentimentality. Family Life is a dark and thrilling accomplishment by a wildly gifted writer. — Ann Packer
Family Life is a terse, devastating account of growing up as a brilliant outsider in American culture. It is a nearly perfect novel. — Edmund White
Sharma is a rare master at charting the frailties and failures, the cruelties and rages, the altering moods and contradictions, whims and perversities of a tragic cast of characters. But this most unsentimental writer leaves the reader, finally and surprisingly, moved. — Kiran Desai
An immigrant story like no other: funny and dark, unrelenting and above all, true. — Nell Freudenberger
About the Author
Akhil Sharma is the author of Family Life, a New York Times Best Book of the Year and the winner of the International DUBLIN LiteraryAward and the Folio Prize. His writing has appeared in The New Yorker, The Atlantic, Best American Short Stories, and O. Henry Award Stories. A native of Delhi, he lives in New York City and teaches English at Rutgers University–Newark.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
It takes a person of great compassion to revisit the pain and put it down in words and as the author has said his intention was to write a "useful" story.
The context of the family in an alien environment is another parallel and interesting story.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews