auto-hp family

Price:₹ 186.00

on 4 November 2017
Good read..
on 1 January 2014
Although the overall novel is good.. for me it did not meet the expectations raised from its adverts and previews. At places the suspense fell flat as it was quite obvious who the veiled character or secret beneficiary was. The author it seems has tried to write a fusion between Dan Brown & Chetan Bhagat... I am sure with his subsequent novels he would keep on improving and I would surely like to read his next one.
on 13 January 2014
The book in question, I must state at the outset, is well written and is based on a brilliant core idea that holds immense promise and could even be bestseller material – an Indian Da Vinci Code, to use marketing-speak.

There have been enough of Holy Grail, and an Aryan Trail was long overdue. I've grown up with Indiana Jones and hence my fixation with Holy Grail is understandable. At younger age Indiana's adventure and specially the historical aspects of Christianity used to always intrigue me. "The Ekkos Clan" is very well the Indian version of Indiana Jones or Robert Langdon. Of course there are more dissimilarities than similarities, of which some previous reviewer has already talked about in details. So I wouldn't go into that. The uniqueness of this novel is the simplicity in the clues and riddles. Just think about it - a small limerick of four lines actually contains a hell lot of astronomical information of an era that's 4000 years old. A simple story, which is more of a kiddo stuff, is actually a detailed map depicting a very accurate geography. It's really fascinating how some simple stories can bear so much clues to an ancient era. This is indeed a very new concept.
on 18 November 2014
What a horror it must have been to live during the times of partition of India! I have heard some horror stories of those times from my Dadu (grandfather). To me they were just stories. Fascinating since I was hearing it from the mouth of the experienced. Reading Ekkos Clan by Sudipto Das brought out the horrors again. Chilling! Heartfelt and sadistically fascinating.

The story has many shades. The modern times depicting the lives of Kratu, Tits and Afsar. then the ones who were caught between the past and present in the form of Bhrigu or Kaushik and above all those who had created these situations - Kubha and Zakar.

There lives are intervined in the pages of history. The modern generation caught in the mysteries of the past and above all the intrinsic clues hidden in etymology.

First of all, I would like to congratulate the author on his research. The effects of using mnemonic associations on vocabulary is by itself very vast and on top of that understanding and using examples of cognates from Indo-European languages is a feat to achieve. The cognates have been used very effectively in Kratu's journey to solve the mysteries of Kubha's story.

That being said, the story to me as a reader, took my full attention. This is no light read. Those who have a slight inclination towards ancients texts and their mysteries, this is a book for them. You really have to love history (and to some extent geography :P) to enjoy this one. The best characters etched were of Kubha and Kratu. Both are different from each other yet similar to the extent that can be openly termed as genetics.Like two somnambulists, they walked on the path of destiny without caring where the path led them.

The Author uses words to draw many portraits of nature.

"He would bring us here during the evenings when the sun sank behind the smoke coming out of the tall chimneys of the factories on the Howrah side of the river. Lying on the deck and staring at the rippled reflection of the sun on the waters of the river he would talk about a totally different kind of boat ride. "

Whether emotions or landscape he is very liberal with words, threading them across main story of Kratu's discovery of his grandma's past. There are scenes where I have felt the lump in my throat, specially when the journey of Brighu begins. When Kubha's fear of her being called a "dharshita, a despised woman" is portrayed, I shed a few tears. It was heart touching.

The Aryan story line is also well conceive and a very controversial one. Sanskrit and the languages of North India were found to be relatives of the languages of Europe, while the Dravidian languages of south India were found to be another language family.Using this the author forms the building block of his story. Very interesting. One very interesting point that I found here was the way the European solstice were also woven in. Yes, there are lots of similarities between those festivals and ours. We are all bound to nature.

My only peeve is the author must have been so lost in his writing, that he went on and on on some scenes. Some scenes could have been shorter and thus made the story move faster. For eg. " One group migrated to the east through the land of the Danus rivers, the big bends on Don and Volga near Volgograd, the crescent on Volga at Samara and finally reached Arkaim, travelling along the Samara and Ural rivers. This particular story—The Land of the Danus Rivers and the Ekwos Sea—seems to trace the Aryan Trail from their original homeland till the Samara Bend.’ It sounds wonderful to all the history students out there. I lapped it up but for it being a work of fiction, the writer has to walk on a thin line of too much information and story telling.

Since Sudipto Das has excelled in the art of story telling, I will overlook the 'too much information' part. :)

Would I recommend this book? To those who loved the hidden truths of the chalice in Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, it is a must read for you.

Check out the full review at ttp://www.rubinaramesh.com/2014/11/ekkos-clan-by-sudipto-das.html
on 22 November 2014
‘The Sun loves all of us,’ Kubha said. ‘He spreads his love through his light. Still he has to go to another house every night so that he can love the other people there.’

These lines sent the tone of the book, such beautiful, introspective and selfless. Simple words but with such deep meaning, easy and such a stunning simile. Read the book to know why these words are spoken.

The book is not your regular light reading, but it is sure to keep you hooked for hours on end as you try to unravel the mysteries of Kubha and the challenges she faces.

Ekkos Clan is a gripping and intriguing tale of love, murder, hatred and the citadel of life. This book makes a very convincing tale filled with suspense, intrigue and has a solid history to back up all the claims made.

According to me the book is a historical suspense and a very good one. The research and detailing is very accurate as is the premise of the book. It has sufficient “what if’s” to keep the reader engrossed.
The one place where I feel the book got to me was the repetitive descriptions of the historical places and the typical traditional names making it a bit difficult to follow the thread of where this new discovery was taking me. Also many of the characters had pet names and that was confusing but the author did have a detailed genealogy page at the end of the book. It should have been at the beginning, I think. I did manage to find my way as the story line is quite clear and keeps a steady pace.

The characters are all so realistic and endearing. I found Afsar so appealing, engaging and intelligent, the perfect foil to Kratu. Tista, the little sister was sweet, naughty yet the understanding ‘side kick’ for Kratu.

Kratu may be a regular dude but he manages to attract everyone to himself due to his knowledge and calm personality. I think half of his problems were solved because he has amazing women in his life.

The Ekkos Clan is not a light read but a refreshing read, let’s not think of all the things that are impossible but believe that everything is possible. The Ekkos Clan brings these impossible worlds, ideals and lives together leaving the reader enriched and yearning for more.

Who would not wish for his own clan, a dynasty or a tribe; with The Ekkos Clan it almost seems possible.
on 20 November 2014
The Ekkos Clan is a well researched and well drafted effort from a promising debutant Sudipto Das. If this is his first attempt, god knows what all he has with him to offer in years to come. Kudos for the efforts put in! Be it research or be it drafting an intriguing story well knit around social cause discussing rape and life of a rape victim, cultures, ancestry and lineage. This is a story laden with a stench of revenge wiping generations of generations yet unveiling the roots and connections with the past. A strange story wherein the more we dig the past, the more we get into the future!

On a lighter note, you will relish the folklores and age old stories, which our grandparents recite to us. They are more than bed-time stories and are rich source of knowledge and enlightment fully loaded with knowledge. Once, you complete reading the book, it will be time to refresh and revive what all your grandparents have shared with you, once you were a child.
on 22 January 2015