I had bought Ecovacs DEEBOT N8 from amazon last week. So I'm writing this review after a week of usage and I am going a bit into detail as I know the pain of not finding a non-paid detailed review from a real user.
Super Fast Delivery by amazon to Kochi within a day. So I got it delivered under 30 Hours of placing the order.
Packaging and In the Box Contents:
Packaging was neat and well packed. There was no outer covering by Amazon. Once the brown carton by DEEBOT is opened there is another packing inside it with the name and picture of the product.
1. A thick User Manual in multiple languages
2. DEEBOT N8( Dust collection box(fitted with HEPA filter) is already fitted inside the DEEBOT
3. 2 Side brushes ( Green and Red)
4. Charging Dock and Cable
5. A mopping Plate fitted with re-usable mopping pad
6. A pack of 10 disposable mopping pads.
Usage: The suction power is pretty good and so the vacuuming. It collects pretty good amount of dust every time. It even collects the minutest of the dust particles which are hardly visible to our eyes. And once it cleans the floor, I do feel the difference of a clean floor even just with Vacuum alone. It definitely cleans better than the usual cleaning done with a broom. The Mopping functionality also does a decent job which makes me a satisfied customer. When I say that mopping is good, let me set the expectations right for the readers. Mopping does not clean hard sticky dirt. Mopping is good when the floor does not have any sticky hard specks of dirt. The expectation from mopping should be something like you are wiping the floor with a wet microfibre kind of cloth without applying much pressure on it. So it cleans up any dirt which can be easily removed without applying any pressure.
For me, I am very happy with the product when you make it to clean the house every day or once in two days at least. If we plan to clean the house once in a week, the mopping might not be as effective as the dirt gets hard to be cleaned as days pass by. So colloquially I can say that this machine would does the job better than a not-so-honest household help :D.
Navigation and Mapping : The LDS Navigation works pretty well. It detects the big obstacles 98% of the time but at times it crashes and then understands that there is no way there and takes deviation. At times it does not detect the legs of chairs and then crashes at the legs. And I had faced a situation where the robo didn’t detect a small plate lying on the ground with some food on it, and it crashed the plate and spilled the food all over. I have never faced any situation where the Robo has got stuck and not able to get out. But do remember that loose cables lying on the ground is a problem. The Robo gets messed up with cables. So do ensure that there are no loose cables on the ground when the Robo is at work.
The Mapping is really good and it maps the house correctly and it is really fast as well. The Robo need not travel to each corner to get it mapped. As soon as the Robo enters a room, almost 70- 80% would gets mapped. Once the mapping is completed you can save up to two maps. (say the first floor and ground floor). I feel that is a limitation. It would have been great if it had the storage for at least 5 maps.
Experience with Customer Care: As far as I have interacted with Ecovacs customer care email, I do get responses within 48 hours and the experience is good.
Pros and Cons:
1. Installation and initial set up is pretty easy.
2. Great suction power and it vacuums even the finest particles gets sucked in even with standard suction.
3. Max and Max+ suction options are also available, but it drains battery a little faster.
4. I tested the suction with a safety pin of medium size (~1 inch length) and it gets sucked in to the dust collector with standard suction.
5. Mopping is decent. If the expectation is not very high, you should be happy with it.
6. Mapping is great! And it allows us to select a particular room or particular custom area within a room to be cleaned.
7. The corner/Edge cleaning is also good. It hardly leaves a space as the size of a 10 Rupee coin in the corner uncleaned.
8. Drop sensor is great! I even tried it on a table and It worked really well.
9. Covers Vaccum + mopping of around 650 sqft in one hour.
10. Integration with Alexa works good.
11. Electronically controllable water flow is great!
12. Sound is minimal when compared to traditional vaccum cleaners. There is also a quiet mode. And Max+ mode creates some noise.
1. Mopping plate does not reach till the edges, so mopping is not that effective at the edges/corners of the wall.
2. Only 2 maps could be saved. You would need to remove one existing map to add a third map.
3. Area/Custom Selection is available only when maps are saved.
4. When mopping plate is attached - No option to Vacuum only
5. N8 has no other colour options other than white
6. No option to select any particular pattern for cleaning( like Y pattern/ Spiral )
7. Gets Messed up if there are any loose cables lying on the ground
Mats/cloth mats that are lightweight need to be moved out before the Robo is in operation, else it tries to suck it inside and gets messed up.