- Create beautiful responsive Drupal 8 websites using Twig
- Quickly master theme administration, custom block layouts, views, and the Twig template structure
- A step-by-step guide to the most common approaches in web design
Drupal 8 is an open source content management system and powerful framework that helps deliver great websites to individuals and organizations, including non-profits, commercial, and government around the globe. This new release has been built on top of object-oriented PHP and includes more than a handful of improvements such as a better user experience, cleaner HTML5 markup, a new templating engine called Twig, multilingual capabilities, new configuration management, and effortless content authoring. Drupal 8 will quickly become the new standard for deploying content to both the web and mobile applications. However, with so many new changes, it can quickly become overwhelming knowing where to start and how to quickly.
What you will learn
- Navigate the Drupal 8 Admin interface
- Build custom block layouts with reusable and fieldable blocks
- Create subthemes based on the Bartik and Classy base themes
- Construct a responsive theme with Twitter Bootstrap
- Work with the new Twig PHP templating engine
- Configure Drupal for Twig debugging
- Enable preprocessing of Twig variables
- Develop a theme from scratch following a step-by-step project outline
About the Author
Ever since Chaz can remember, he has been picking up a crayon, a pencil, a pen, or a computer, whether to draw a picture, write a poem, share an article, or develop the next great website. Looking back at these qualities, it's the reason why he chose to use those passions to give back to the open source community. His journey has opened doors to great experiences as a consultant, instructor, trainer, author, web developer, technical architect, Drupalist, and most importantly, a father. However, he could be none of these without first being a student and learning from life, love, and a passion for education, community development, and of course, science and technology.
The sum of these things has allowed Chaz to share his experiences as an active member of the Drupal community, having participated in developing Lynda.com Drupal training videos, authoring multiple Drupal books for Packt Publishing, and giving back his knowledge by contributing numerous articles and presentations at NYCCamp, BadCamp, and DrupalCon, and bringing top-notch Drupal expertise to his clients' work.
However, his greatest journey is still in front of him as he continues to learn new creative ways to architect open source websites, write about the next best things, and laugh with his colleagues along the way.
Table of Contents
- Setting Up Our Development Environment
- Theme Administration
- Dissecting a Theme
- Getting Started – Creating Themes
- Prepping Our Project
- Theming Our Homepage
- Theming Our Interior Page
- Theming Our Blog Listing Page
- Theming Our Blog Detail Page
- Theming Our Contact Page
- Theming Our Search Results
- Tips, Tricks, and Where to Go from Here